Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

On the last day of this month, the sunset time for my location will be 19:58. It will be the first pre 20:00 sunset since 11th of April.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Really dreading those horrible dark mornings - it seems to get worse each year!  It's such a claustrophobic feeling compared with beautiful light mornings with the sun streaming in and the birds singing happily!

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

This thread is becoming depressing. 

I feel like sticking on a Cure song with the onset of darker days to come. 

Well, it's the same every year, always has been and always will be!  At the end of the day, it's been a great summer for many, including your good self aye!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
22 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I remember when I lived in Toronto, you would lose daylight much quicker compared to the U.K.

Its further south. 

Do you mean it gets dark quicker or the days get shorter quicker? If you're talking about the latter then that's the wrong way round. Locations further north lose daylight quicker. Toronto is only losing a little over 2 minutes, whereas in the UK we're pushing 4 minutes a day at this point. Scroll down to the table in the following links to see what I mean...

cityog.php?title=Sunrise%20and%20Sunset%
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in Toronto – Ontario – Canada for août 2022. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time and time...

WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in London – England – United Kingdom for août 2022. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time...

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Do you mean it gets dark quicker or the days get shorter quicker? If you're talking about the latter then that's the wrong way round. Locations further north lose daylight quicker. Toronto is only losing a little over 2 minutes, whereas in the UK we're pushing 4 minutes a day at this point. Scroll down to the table in the following links to see what I mean...

WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in Toronto – Ontario – Canada for août 2022. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time and time...

WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in London – England – United Kingdom for août 2022. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time...

It used to get darker earlier in general. Sunset was never much later than 9-9:30pm during the high summer months. Toronto being further south than London.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

It used to get darker earlier in general. Sunset was never much later than 9-9:30pm during the high summer months. Toronto being further south than London.

Ah okay, the former then! When I was in Vegas I really noticed this. Sunset at 7:30pm and just 20 mins later it was pretty much dark. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

the days are 1 hour 30 mins longer in summer in Edmonton compared to Toronto and 1 hour 30 mins shorter in the winter

Posted
On 22/08/2022 at 14:32, cheeky_monkey said:

now at the stage where we are losing approx 30 mins of daylight each week..15 mins in the morning...15 mins in the evening

Yes, for those that can remember their maths the change in day length exhibits a sine curve pattern.  A steep gradient a month or so either side of the spring and autumn equinox and a shallow gradient either side of the longest/ shortest day.  I.e day length doesn’t change much 21st May to 21st July, the rate of change then slowly increases until we get the massive 30min/wk changes 21st Aug to 21st Oct.

Hence, for me, 21st Aug marks the start of the descent through autumn into winter.

• Like 3

Posted
On 25/08/2022 at 17:22, Maz said:

Yes, for those that can remember their maths the change in day length exhibits a sine curve pattern.  A steep gradient a month or so either side of the spring and autumn equinox and a shallow gradient either side of the longest/ shortest day.  I.e day length doesn’t change much 21st May to 21st July, the rate of change then slowly increases until we get the massive 30min/wk changes 21st Aug to 21st Oct.

Hence, for me, 21st Aug marks the start of the descent through autumn into winter.

Yeah, we have no entered the late summer period of the year, once you get past the 15-21st of August. It’s still warm, but the cooler days are getting closer now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On 25/08/2022 at 17:22, Maz said:

Yes sat outside today during the solar noon when the sun is at it's highest and it's definitely lost some strength now compared to a couple of months ago near the solstice, back then I burnt quickly. Summer is definitely on the way out.

• Like 2

Posted

I think someone needs to explain the concept of seasons to whoever put this email out at Just Eat...

image.thumb.png.dce5917d23b1e5ed7395e7882415b3a0.png

Welcoming longer days?! It's nearly Autumn!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving the darker evening's, so much more relaxing. Autumn is nearly here! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Loving the darker evening's, so much more relaxing. Autumn is nearly here! 

🤢 lol

Posted

Summer feeling ebbing away quickly... this eve we had clear skies, but light rapudly faded by half 8. Long gone are the twilight nights when it never truly goes dark.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Summer feeling ebbing away quickly... this eve we had clear skies, but light rapudly faded by half 8. Long gone are the twilight nights when it never truly goes dark.

And it’s starting to get chilly in the evening. While still feeling quite warm up until about 7pm, when the breeze picks up you can notice the drop in temp.

• Like 2

Posted

Had to put a jumper on last night very cool feeling.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

When I was in the sun yesterday, it felt like it was losing its strength, too.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Evidenced by the fact not wisely I put no cream on and was out in full sun much of the afternoon. Yes I had a bit of a red neck but no burn. A couple of weeks back I no doubt would have burned. Tjis isn't to say we should stop applying sunscreen.. late March to mid Sept the time when I generally apply it, im fair skinned. 

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Don said:

Yea it did. It allegedly got to 26c but didn't feel it at all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
3 hours ago, Boydie said:

Had to put a jumper on last night very cool feeling.

In all honesty I've had the fleeces and jumpers back out since last week, really starting to feel the temp drop now

Posted
3 minutes ago, Row w said:

In all honesty I've had the fleeces and jumpers back out since last week, really starting to feel the temp drop now

Me too LOL!! Coming up your way - well north of you - tomorrow. And i'm debating about taking my fleecy coat with me ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

The fleecier the better or a good chunky knit, I'm one for my winter woollies 😆

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I will be wearing my merino wool £130 jumper LOL!

My hyper-sensitive skin (to wool in particular) would drive me mad: itch, scritch, scratch, charity shop!😱