Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Another dull dark day. Many more to come I'm afraid. Need the christmas lights to cheer things up. Transport me back 6 months and the promise of twilight days. How quickly things change and come back again! 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Transport me back 6 months and the promise of twilight days. 

No, still waiting for things to cool down!! 😜

Posted

Tomorrow sees the last sunset after 4pm for a few weeks! On a positive we only have 15 minutes loss of afternoon light to go, 3 weeks time we stall. Still late November is very dull usually. The dark days are about to arrive..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Tomorrow sees the last sunset after 4pm for a few weeks! On a positive we only have 15 minutes loss of afternoon light to go, 3 weeks time we stall. Still late November is very dull usually. The dark days are about to arrive..

Yeah that it usually my first milestone. About 13 December when the evenings turn here I think. It's not that long really until we get to the slog through January and February. Managed to get through Autumn without thinking about it too much (got a holiday booked 2nd week of January which makes a difference having something to look forward to).

Posted
On 17/11/2022 at 23:45, damianslaw said:

Another dull dark day. Many more to come I'm afraid. Need the christmas lights to cheer things up. Transport me back 6 months and the promise of twilight days. How quickly things change and come back again! 

Yes I agree.

I hate it now. Dark and cold. It’s bloody depressing.

Posted
17 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Yeah that it usually my first milestone. About 13 December when the evenings turn here I think. It's not that long really until we get to the slog through January and February. Managed to get through Autumn without thinking about it too much (got a holiday booked 2nd week of January which makes a difference having something to look forward to).

Still a long way to go. January and February still have dark mornings until about 6:30am, which is still late.

I think it starts to change once the daylight starts creeping in before 6ish, which is why I see March as the first month where it feels like there’s some progress.

On 18/11/2022 at 00:05, Don said:

No, still waiting for things to cool down!! 😜

It is cold now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Am I the only one who enjoys the long dark evenings? 😜

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Nah......you're not alone.

Could contain: Face, Person, Head, Cartoon, Baby, Bird, Animal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I don't like the change. But once it is dark and the curtains are drawn i'm cosy and settled in and used to it. It's the changes that get me. And also days where its dark and cloudy and it's getting dark from 3pm or something. Those days are hard too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i really noticed the lighter mornings when i was back home in England was a real lift..now im back home In Edmonton ..gawd its depressing this morning darkness

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Still a long way to go. January and February still have dark mornings until about 6:30am, which is still late.

I think it starts to change once the daylight starts creeping in before 6ish, which is why I see March as the first month where it feels like there’s some progress.

It is cold now. 

I always find January such a bleak month in terms of the mornings. I know evening start to improve as the month goes along but the mornings are often dire for a long ole time after the 21st December. At least whilst December is still dark all the Xmas lights help to lighten up things somewhat.

Not even got that in January. Just darkness in the mornings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Nah......you're not alone.

Could contain: Face, Person, Head, Cartoon, Baby, Bird, Animal

Make that three of us who enjoy the darker evenings! 🥳

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

The winter solstice is on the 22nd of December this year, and (according to timeanddate.com  ) it'll occur at 21:48!

I find it really hard to understand where the times goes? It only seems like a few weeks ago I was commenting on the summer solstice, and now here we are in the world of pre - 16:00 sunsets, and only a month to go until the winter solstice!

Come on, own up... Who's messing about with time? Lol  😂

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It is cold now. 

I know but I posted that last week when it wasn't very cold! 😜

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Nope....there are many, you are not alone😀

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Today was absolutely dire - didn't get light until nearly 8.30 am and dark already by 3.45 pm.  I hate these days of darkness, gloom, rain and wind.  Give me a May morning with the birds singing at 5 am, glorious blue sky and sunshine.  Sigh!!  Only 3 weeks and 4 days until the shortest day.

• Like 2

Posted

Could well be a east-west split in the days ahead, given the predominant windflow will be the east. Western parts could see quite lengthy sunny clear breaks which will prevent that peak low level light syndrome that takes hold as December arrives, eastern parts unfortunately could be about to endure a very dull gloomy dark spell indeed coinciding with nights still drawing in.

Alas in 2 weeks will we have 'bottomed' out already when it comes to loss of light in the afternoons. In the meantime prepare for those 'dark days before christmas'!

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, sarahng said:

Today was absolutely dire - didn't get light until nearly 8.30 am and dark already by 3.45 pm.  I hate these days of darkness, gloom, rain and wind.  Give me a May morning with the birds singing at 5 am, glorious blue sky and sunshine.  Sigh!!  Only 3 weeks and 4 days until the shortest day.

I'm with you on this one. We are running into the darkest 2 months of the year here..often on cloudy days like today it wont get light until 10 am pair that with sometimes mind numbingly cold ( down to -35c by the end of this week) and its got me longing for those late spring mornings and am also counting the days until we turn the corner.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

The darkest afternoon of the winter so far, darker even than Saturday which featured rain at this time of day.

Only three weeks or so now until the nights start drawing out, though. Sunset is already earlier than every day in January, incredibly.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

The darkest afternoon of the winter so far, darker even than Saturday which featured rain at this time of day.

Only three weeks or so now until the nights start drawing out, though. Sunset is already earlier than every day in January, incredibly.

Yes a dark gloomy day thanks to very low cloud, the raw cold feel added to the bleak feel. A very late November/early Dec type day but such days have been very rare at this time of year recently, alas many more dark days ahead.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes a dark gloomy day thanks to very low cloud, the raw cold feel added to the bleak feel. A very late November/early Dec type day but such days have been very rare at this time of year recently, alas many more dark days ahead.

I actually like it when it is gloomy and foggy close to the winter solstice,a few days of it anyway,it makes you appreciate the long days of Summer ,it also makes a mockery of sunrise and sunset times!

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

it is indeed strange that sunset and sunrise don't align..for example here it is something like Dec 13th is the earliest sunset however the latest sunrise is Jan 4th ..3 week difference

• Like 1

Posted

Only a week to go and we 'bottom out' in terms of earliest sunset... the current clearer fine conditions are preventing maximum low level light syndrome and a real bonus - wet overcast skies at this time of year make for exceptionally low light, indeed never feels light. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Only 2 weeks to go now before we reach the bottom and start the climb to the top again. Can't wait.

• Like 5

Posted

For my location the shortest day ls 7:27:39..the longest day is 17:02:44