Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

My hyper-sensitive skin (to wool in particular) would drive me mad: itch, scritch, scratch, charity shop!😱

Me wears some roll neck tops under it annnd it's quite low necked so other tops are ok! Otherwise I would be likewise! I'm a bit sensory on clothes and shoes

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Me wears some roll neck tops under it annnd it's quite low necked so other tops are ok! Otherwise I would be likewise! I'm a bit sensory on clothes and shoes

Mum used to dress me up in a balaclava (this was 1963) before seeing me off to school -- and as soon as I'd got round the corner the balaclava got stuffed in my pocket. No wonder I spent nearly all of P2 down at the ENT! Boys will be idiots?😫

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving the drop in temps and daylight, especially by 8pm, makes the evening so much better for sleeping i find. Still bit to warm in bedroom still, a/c on for couple of more nights at least. Perfect shorts weather and tshirt weather, not sweating, lovely breeze.

Posted

Shorts are on their last legs now. 

Was still warm enough to wear them during our costal walk between Cooden Beach and Eastbourne yesterday afternoon.

Warm enough for a coast walk, but not too hot or too cold.

Starting to wear trousers from today, as the daytime maxes now are below 24c and I think it won’t be long before I start wearing a light jacket.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Shorts are on their last legs now. 

I made myself a new pair only yesterday; one leg's 3" longer than the other!😁

• Like 1

Posted

Mmm a cloudy afternoon descended into a very dull early evening, no rain as yet, but it has made for a very lacklustre feel, and it is going dark properly now... that late summer feeling has bedded in firmly... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Turned the lights on before 8pm this evening. First time I’ve had to do that since mid April. 

The summer feeling really is on borrowed time now. 

Not quite feeling that here.  Yesterday was 25°C and even at 9pm we were above 20°C.  Evenings are darker but still feeling warm so I'm not quite in autumn mode yet.  I normally feel it when sunset is before 7:30pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

My lights come on automatically at sunset, we'll, whatever the Philips Hue app decides is sunset. 

I've been noticing them coming on earlier and it was half 7 last night. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Still got the shorts on here, personally it's still far too mild for trousers or jeans as I'd just end up sweating to be honest, even indoors it refuses to drop below about 22 or 23C...more than comfortable enough. Usually I give in by about the end of October when we do start to get some genuinely chillier days but even then it's not a given with our climate warming up more. Think a few years back in Oct 2017 when we had a run of temps nudging 20C just before the "red sun" because of hurricane Ophelia. What a weird day that was with the sky. Think it was the fires in Portugal that wafted up into the sky generating that red appearance. The following winter was pretty decent. I'd take another warm October for another Winter like that. 

We are still wearing shorts indoors, but probably not for much longer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I've moved numerous general summer chit chat posts into the summer thread.

Posted

We're at a 19:49 sunset in my neck of the woods tonight. That's down from 20:48 at the beginning of the month. By this time next month, we'll be at 18:40! 

Just goes to show how fast we lose the light at this time of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

With a sunset time of 19:58 for my neck of the woods tonight, it will be the first pre 20:00 sunset since 11th April. At the end of September it will be 18:47.

• Like 3

Posted
On 31/08/2022 at 09:44, Seasonal Trim said:

We're at a 19:49 sunset in my neck of the woods tonight. That's down from 20:48 at the beginning of the month. By this time next month, we'll be at 18:40! 

Just goes to show how fast we lose the light at this time of the year.

Yes we are now entering time of year when rate of daily light loss reaches its maxim, 2 mins morning and eve each day, until the clocks go back. Which means 28 mins each week.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes we are now entering time of year when rate of daily light loss reaches its maxim, 2 mins morning and eve each day, until the clocks go back. Which means 28 mins each week.

Yeah, we are really losing the light quickly now. It’s more noticeable in the early mornings if you are up at 5-5:30am since around mid August, but the evenings really start drawing in from here on in.

By late September it will be dark before 7pm. 

Posted
On 28/08/2022 at 13:25, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I will be wearing my merino wool £130 jumper LOL!

Seriously, you need to point out how expensive your jumper is?  If you were joking I sincerely apologise, I haven't been on these forums nearly a year so gauging peoples tone is a tad difficult.  But if you were serious with the hardship loads are going through in the UK right now, that's pretty shameful.

Posted
32 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

Seriously, you need to point out how expensive your jumper is?  If you were joking I sincerely apologise, I haven't been on these forums nearly a year so gauging peoples tone is a tad difficult.  But if you were serious with the hardship loads are going through in the UK right now, that's pretty shameful.

The price reference was to reflect that it's high quality and made of thick warm wool which I need. It was brought for me as a present. But as it's offended i'll remove said post.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Quick descent into dusk around 7.15pm this eve and quite dark already 7.30pm given the overcast skies, we are going down rapidly!

Yes, really noticed the nights drawing in this weekend!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

reached the low point in the year for me today..was total darkness on my morning walk from start to finish..dawn was just on the horizon as i got home..will be like this until the about 10th of April next year

Posted

The evenings are suddenly feeling much much longer... thanks to the thundery skies it went dark very very early this evening, by 8pm it felt like it was 10pm already, many outside seating areas of cafesrestaurants were empty and there was a sense of let's shut up shop, there is nobody about.  It feels like 11pm right now, yet only just gone 9pm.. how do we cope in December!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

I think it’s hitting us harder this year, after all those long sunny days.

The gradual shift in mid August didn’t seem so bad as the weather was still hot and sunny, but since the change to more unsettled weather in early September the darker evenings are now becoming more obvious. It’s hard to escape it now, summer 2022 is well and truly over. 

23 hours ago, davehsug said:

Had to put the living room light on for the tist time, when I got up at 6 this morning. 6-7 months more of it. Yuck!

It’s time to take out The Cure, Smiths and Joy Division songs until March next year. 

Oh god, I can’t believe we are back to this for another 6-7 months. 

Posted

Coming back from my Saturday job and it’s already getting dark.

Was pitch black when I got up at 5 today and left for work at 5:45. 

Can’t believe we are already back to this darker time of the year again. 

Posted
49 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Coming back from my Saturday job and it’s already getting dark.

Was pitch black when I got up at 5 today and left for work at 5:45. 

Can’t believe we are already back to this darker time of the year again. 

Yep, it soon comes around!  Light beginning to fade around 7pm now.

Edited by Don