Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

These dark mornings are utterly depressing.  It actually makes me feel ill and dizzy to get up in the dark.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving these dark mornings, watching the sunrise is always the best part of the day! One of my favourite times of the year by far.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes it's nice to see sunrise and sunsets during dark months.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
21 minutes ago, sarahng said:

These dark mornings are utterly depressing.  It actually makes me feel ill and dizzy to get up in the dark.  

im with you on this one ..im sat in my office its 7.30am and is pitch black outside sun rise today isn't until 8.30am and its still October

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Yep, the miserable months are just around the corner.  

November possibly most miserable of them all, especially if not a fan of the run up to christmas! By Jan glimmer of light at the end of a long tunnel, but November the tunnel just gets blacker!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

So frustrating that the clocks had to go back  - especially with the the energy crisis meaning lights having to be put on earlier than needed to at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am going to be enjoying these early sunsets. Very cosy and less people around. 😁

Posted

So here we go, for the next 4 months. Darkness before or up until 5pm until late February. 

Summer 2022 seems like a distant memory, despite the recent very mild weather, those long summer days are a thing of the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

So here we go, for the next 4 months. Darkness before or up until 5pm until late February. 

Summer 2022 seems like a distant memory, despite the recent very mild weather, those long summer days are a thing of the past.

It's grim. thankfully I'll be spending most of February in Australia. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Maybe, but summer 2022 is still haunting us with the weather patterns!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

6 weeks of continued loss of daylight ahead, oh joy!

51 until the shortest day and then another 51 (approx) just to get back to where we are today!!

Edited by sarahng
Wrong info added
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 28/10/2022 at 16:26, damianslaw said:

November possibly most miserable of them all, especially if not a fan of the run up to christmas! By Jan glimmer of light at the end of a long tunnel, but November the tunnel just gets blacker!

December is most miserable to me, as it's the darkest month of the year. Also I particularly dislike the closing days of the year, from the 27th until about the 6th Jan. Many things shut down and everything is dead and depressing. A time to get out of the country to somewhere further south if you can!

I agree that the last 10 days or so of January are better, as long as there isn't an Atlantic gloomfest.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
34 minutes ago, sarahng said:

51 until the shortest day and then another 51 (approx) just to get back to where we are today!!

Except if we focus on sunset, we actually arrive back where we are now (in London) as early as Jan 23.

This time of year has ridiculously early solar noon, which makes the evenings disproportionately dark. We have a much later solar noon (as much as 30 mins later) in early Feb, so the evenings are significantly lighter.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Thankfully it's not as late as that, but 7th Feb. See here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london?month=2&year=2023

February is actually a lot lighter in the evenings than many think, and is generally an unfairly-maligned month (with the occasional exception, such as the nightmare that was Feb 2020). It can often be positively spring-like, and the plum blossom and daffodils are often out in the last week or so. Certainly a good deal less depressing than December.

13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I do agree here.

I particularly dislike the way we change the clocks back at a time when we're already losing 15 mins of evening daylight per week naturally. The sudden and jarring loss of early evening daylight is, to my mind, too much. If the clocks go back at a time when the weather worsens markedly (as it has done in the past two days or so) we can seem to lose as many as two hours of apparent daylight in one week: 4pm yesterday had about the same light level as 6pm last week. Seems almost as if we've gone straight from late September to December!

By contrast it seems to be getting light excessively early in the morning under winter time. It's a bit silly when it's light at 6.30am but dark shortly after 5pm. I can see the need for winter time in December and January, but I think we could get away with switching three or four weeks later.

We just end up with loads of daylight before work which we can't really make use of, then it's pitch black when we finish. The days at the moment seem very unbalanced, too much morning daylight, not enough evening daylight.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah but the real summer warmth has gone now. 

I would say not looking at the 00z charts considering it's November!!

Posted
14 minutes ago, Don said:

I would say not looking at the 00z charts considering it's November!!

Yeah, but it doesn’t feel like summer anymore. Regardless of whether it’s 18c or 10c. Just everything about this period of the year has autumn and early winter vibes, despite the temperature.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, but it doesn’t feel like summer anymore. Regardless of whether it’s 18c or 10c. Just everything about this period of the year has autumn and early winter vibes, despite the temperature.

That's coz it's not summer, it's November!! ☺️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Only 7 weeks 'til the shortest day though. It's gone by in a blur, can't believe that 40c day was well over 3 months ago! Before you know it, we will be in the last throes of winter and looking ahead to spring and summer once more. The fact that we're going to get through 10/12 weeks of autumn without any cold weather is an absolute blessing for me, it's just flown by without me really noticing. That's without the added financial benefits of not having to turn the heating on at all yet as it's been so warm. 

Edited by mb018538