Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

So For CG lightning I usually stick mine on 15 or 20 second exposure, whack the f stop up as high as it goes.... I manual focus on a distant object like a pylon, tree, or something, and then just keep clicking until it delivers!

Is f stop the aperture? I just got a canon 600d off of my sister and I am having fun playing around in manual mode.

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Is f stop the aperture? I just got a canon 600d off of my sister and I am having fun playing around in manual mode.

Yep! Forgot to say put camera into manual.... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Mesoscale

The setting i used for the image below (Night time)

Manual

F/8

Exposure 13sec 

ISO 100

W/B Auto

Hand held but best to use a tripod.

post-12197-0-12202400-1404977183_thumb.j

Setting for this daytime image..

Manual

F/8

Exposure 1/10sec

ISO100

W/B Auto

Lightning trigger

Tripod

To get a slow shutter speed i used a Neutral Density Filter  ND8

post-12197-0-73521500-1404977992_thumb.j

And a shed load of luck.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Can someone write an idiots guide to taking lightning pictures and stick it in the photography section?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Not for today no.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

This weather warnings, does it include any electrical activity??

nope not today. Click on the link for full details

Posted

nope not today. Click on the link for full details

This weather warnings, does it include any electrical activity??

Although lightning was detected near Sevenoaks in Kent around midday in one of the heaviest areas of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The most exciting thing so far has been a short burst of 'severe' drizzle!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

In south lincs. Crazy at how still this rain is, I could throw a stone and it land in an area that's bone dry from an area full of puddles !!

• Like 1

Posted

In south lincs. Crazy at how still this rain is, I could throw a stone and it land in an area that's bone dry from an area full of puddles !!

Thats incredible!! Any pictures? So in a street, one side could be pretty much dry, whilst the o the side soaking wet!!

Only in the UK!!

Posted

So it's a sharp edged stalled warm front, someone has mentioned lightning down south, surely nit from this sword of wetness.....

So it's a sharp edged stalled warm front, someone has mentioned lightning down south, surely nit from this sword of wetness.....

Showing a strike or two around Lowestoft, anyone confirm?

post-22284-0-64225100-1405006772_thumb.p

Posted

Yes indeed a few strikes over East Anglia

A few strikes all over the place actually today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Yes indeed a few strikes over East AngliaA few strikes all over the place actually today :)

Well that surprises me, cape very low and li values of 6 - 8 according to the nmm. How is this able to happen? Norfolk skew t does not value any cape.

Posted

It just can sometimes even with few apparent ingredients, I am guessing it's to do with the warmer humid air (uppers) arriving into EA?

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Thats incredible!! Any pictures? So in a street, one side could be pretty much dry, whilst the o the side soaking wet!!

Only in the UK!!

That would be a bit mad. I over exaggerated, but in Deeping St Nicholas on the main road, one half of the village is wet, the other dry. The 'stones throw' term was used to highlight the such short distance ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I have a picture which I will post later of half my decking being wet and the other half dry!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well that surprises me, cape very low and li values of 6 - 8 according to the nmm. How is this able to happen? Norfolk skew t does not value any cape.

you're looking at surface cape and lift values.....there's actually some mid-level instability that has been pushed into eastern counties associated with theta-e rich WAA from the south east. This combining with an extra forcing mechanism of steepening lapse rate in the mid-layers is allowing mid-level convection in the form of the odd embedded Cb to occur giving the odd sferic. 

• Like 2

Posted

Spalding town has been damp most of the afternoon. I am 2 miles nw of Spalding and we are still combine harvesting having had none.

That would be a bit mad. I over exaggerated, but in Deeping St Nicholas on the main road, one half of the village is wet, the other dry. The 'stones throw' term was used to highlight the such short distance !

Posted

Yeah that's what I meant AJ ^

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

this rain mad slows even stops then heavy again been at it all day repeating.   According met here till midnight at least.  Just parked the bus, will it finally shift or run out of water.   How much is up there my station says 68 mm dropped.

Posted

this rain mad slows even stops then heavy again been at it all day repeating.   According met here till midnight at least.  Just parked the bus, will it finally shift or run out of water.   How much is up there my station says 68 mm dropped.

Mablethorpe area just about the wettest spot today, radar suggesting 50mm or so in past 12 hours.

Lincoln only about 20 miles west has had next to nowt!

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Mablethorpe area just about the wettest spot today, radar suggesting 50mm or so in past 12 hours.

Lincoln only about 20 miles west has had next to nowt!

aye its madness when will it shift read MET has the same warning tomorrow surely not it will shift by then wont it 48 hours heavy rain could be bad. 

dont worry my weather station on side of flats get cascade effect on downpours so it put it out slightly but if I adjust it effects normal rainfall  gone to 79 mm now