Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards

Posted

The detectors don't pick up every flash of lightning. I have recently started using the below linked detector and thought it was excellent, however today it picked up zero strikes when I witnessed 6 or 7 a few miles SW of my location around 15.00 and the same storm remained active as it headed SE with no strikes detected!!

Today the NW detector seemed spot on.

I have noticed this as well, do  

all these differently branded lightning programs/applications use different sets/types of detectors or from different locations or use different data-sets? Isn't there a program/application that crunches ALL lightning data to produce a more accurate plot, or is this not possible, like diesel/petrol, Linux/Windows or Metric/Imperial.......... Just wondering????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Drove home from Wolverhampton into a storm, the rain was the heaviest I have ever experienced whilst driving, to then get home to a little thunderstorm with a couple of flashes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Will the first half of the weekend bring more storms I wonder..

Friday 11-07

post-7331-0-95972600-1404858031_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-14056100-1404858039_thumb.pn

Saturday 12-07

post-7331-0-27924300-1404858049_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-81555700-1404858055_thumb.pn

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had a storm here around 3.30. Seemed to build overhead and then come back for some more as it rotated around the area. A good few rumbles of thunder and the rain was torrential, huge convective spots. Local roads were flooded in a few minutes.

Went to Dunstable today for the gliding - some cu about with a part layer of strata cu above - the larger cu came down from the north, developing into nimbus - we finished gliding just at the rain started about 5 pm - drove back to Watford with some fairly heavy rain en route but with dry patches in between.

Shortly after 6pm there was just one flash of lightning outside my house with a loud crack of thunder almost immediately after, so it must have been very close, though this was just the one which I was aware of.

A bit surprising in a way because most of the time we appear to be in a thunder desert.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The rest of the week is supposed to be looking good for thunderstorms!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Another blank here expect the same for the rest of the week.

Posted

Had a storm here around 3.30. Seemed to build overhead and then come back for some more as it rotated around the area. A good few rumbles of thunder and the rain was torrential, huge convective spots. Local roads were flooded in a few minutes.

did that hit the gentleshaw area mate?

Posted

This Sunday and Monday are big days for me and Leicester Speedway...

Monday we make our TV debut at home against Eastbourne... Sunday will be spent getting the track as good as it can be, and obviously Monday is the meeting... Because I am not at one with Thunderstorms and I will be in open field conditions Sunday, and again Monday evening, can I expect any T and L? Especially Sunday afternoon?? (Leicester)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning out for tomorrows rain in the east

Issued at: 1139 on Wed 9 Jul 2014

Valid from: 0600 on Thu 10 Jul 2014

Valid to: 0900 on Fri 11 Jul 2014

Outbreaks of rain will become heavy at times through Thursday and Thursday night. Although not all areas will see heavy rainfall, where it does occur some local surface water flooding is possible. The public should be aware of the risk of local disruption to transport and outdoor events during Thursday and Thursday night.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of moist and unstable air will extend into eastern parts of the United Kingdom during Thursday. This will bring the risk of some locally heavy rainfall over a short period of time. Although not all places within the warning area are expected to see heavy rainfall where it does occur some local surface water flooding is possible. There remains some uncertainty in how far west the area of cloud and rain will extend and the public are advised to keep up to date with the forecast and warnings.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=uk&fcTime=1404946800

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

The one singular weekend of the year when I DON'T want to see any of the above while standing in an open field taking pictures of planes. Argh!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Seems like  the weather gods have struck both Germany and the Netherlands with a giant thunderstorm - probably related to the World Cup. Guess the Dutch will beat Argentina.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Big storm over Germany for a change. :laugh:

Posted Imageuk_ir.gif

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Yep, my Parents are there at the moment on a very very soggy motorcycling holiday, they had almost non stop storms, and rain. Needless to say not much riding has been done....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Will be interesting how the nmm performs. At the moment seems mainly a South east which gets the action. I would 70 - 30 chance for me having to fill the ponds up tomorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I now have an arsenal of 2 cameras and a perfect position from which to view the storms as they cross over our little valley.

Only one tiny thing I still need to make the setup complete - a thunderstorm ;-)

Hopefully tomorrow will provide this, and failing that friday or sat. But tomorrow night looks pretty good from what I've seen so far...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Anyone know if 60fps video gonna be enough to get some good frame-by-frame lightning strikes? My newest camera (the one I use for video now) has 1000+ fps slo-mo feature but the resolution is quite, quite terrible. Also does 400 fps and that's slightly better, but still not brilliant by any standard. Still, could be interesting.

Finding that long exposure can't handle the big-uns too well, as I discovered in the last storm - unless I'm lucky and it goes off just at the right time.

This time I want to get some nice crisp shots.

My main camera is 5mp - which is the one I use for the long exposures - wondering whether that's enough.

Anyone else avid storm photographers and know a bit about best camera specs and settings etc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Plenty of lightning going on in the north sea as the ppn creeps closer to the east coast

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone know if 60fps video gonna be enough to get some good frame-by-frame lightning strikes? My newest camera (the one I use for video now) has 1000+ fps slo-mo feature but the resolution is quite, quite terrible. Also does 400 fps and that's slightly better, but still not brilliant by any standard. Still, could be interesting. Finding that long exposure can't handle the big-uns too well, as I discovered in the last storm - unless I'm lucky and it goes off just at the right time. This time I want to get some nice crisp shots. My main camera is 5mp - which is the one I use for the long exposures - wondering whether that's enough.Anyone else avid storm photographers and know a bit about best camera specs and settings etc?

So For CG lightning I usually stick mine on 15 or 20 second exposure, whack the f stop up as high as it goes.... I manual focus on a distant object like a pylon, tree, or something, and then just keep clicking until it delivers!
  • Like 1