Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Next week looking cloudy, fairly mild with westerlies, but at least mostly dry, could be way worse with low pressure and rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Often mocked as the pub run.

I don't ignore it but I rate other models and different GFS runs over the 18z like 0z and 12z GFS runs.

mocking a run and referring to it as 'the pub run' is daft imho.

the gfs is american, i presume its released in america, where its midday!

• Like 4

Posted

some contradiction on the md thread... i get the impression that looking into fi when it shows mild is ridiculous, but looking into fi when it shows cold is ok because its a sign of pattern change. the current gfs runs in fi suggest average/mild and are ignored whilst just a couple of weeks ago fi showed possible cold evolutions which were hailed as the start of something special.

of course you can pick out future events in fi... but these events cut both ways. personally i take fi with a large pinch of salt as 'events' be it a freeze or a summer heatwave, more often then not get downgraded as they enter the reliable.

fi is fi , its no more reliable when it shows cold then mild.

• Like 3

Posted

I still see a sinking high due to the jet riding over the top of it, so after a few days of cold frosty weather we'll be looking at SW/W airflow which will bring nothing but grey skies and patchy drizzle.

Posted

I still see a sinking high due to the jet riding over the top of it, so after a few days of cold frosty weather we'll be looking at SW/W airflow which will bring nothing but grey skies and patchy drizzle.

Still miles better than a normal Dec mind you, raging Atlantic, gales and rain

• Like 2

Posted

Still miles better than a normal Dec mind you, raging Atlantic, gales and rain

Indeed it is and hopefully down the line we'll finally get some much deserved wintry weather for all of us who enjoy such conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The  models today remind of this time last year (i.e. a quiet start to December before the jet increases followed by a wet spell of weather for Northern Europe)

• Like 1

Posted

12Z ECM, looks very realistic, think it will be close to the eventual outcome, but I do, over future runs expect the Atlantic to be more dominant, Dry in Dec surely unlikely and too good to be true, this particular run still suggests mainly dry for the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

12Z ECM, looks very realistic, think it will be close to the eventual outcome, but I do, over future runs expect the Atlantic to be more dominant, Dry in Dec surely unlikely and too good to be true, this particular run still suggests mainly dry for the south

That's what they said 4 years ago today :clapping:

Posted

That's what they said 4 years ago today :clapping:

Sadly that was once in a lifetime event, Dec is the most Atlantic dominated month of the year, and do not expect any other weather, same for Jan really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Sadly that was once in a lifetime event, Dec is the most Atlantic dominated month of the year, and do not expect any other weather, same for Jan really

Theres been many December and January's throughout history that haven't been Atlantic dominated though. 

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So in summary tonights models suggest a dry start to December followed by a return to wetter and milder pattern in the 2nd week. Meanwhile, the Eastern states of America can prepare for another Polar Vortex!

• Like 2

Posted

So in summary tonights models suggest a dry start to December followed by a return to wetter and milder pattern in the 2nd week. Meanwhile, the Eastern states of America can prepare for another Polar Vortex!

likely so, for 2nd week, cannot really expect much else for Dec

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What the heck!!! Now this just isn't fair! Some of us are sat here in the UK patiently waiting for our first snow of the winter and that totally reliable model, the GFS:whistling:   is showing snow for Morocco on the 6th Dec!!

How can Morocco have snow before us??!! :shok: post-20040-0-55416700-1417033860_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure where you got that from it's a Nor'easter.

• Like 1

Posted

I know not why but looking at some posts and the response to them in the other thread I'm reminded of a painting by Leonardo DaVinci.

Or the 'legendary' Van Gogh. Can no-one see that his paintings are actually rubbish....

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 00Z looks good, even a possible 'cold' spell, if that high can centre over us on Tues 2nd after the cold air from NW moves in, 18Z had drizzly, average temps in South, 00Z looks better as high is slightly further south

Posted

Or the 'legendary' Van Gogh. Can no-one see that his paintings are actually rubbish....

or a picaso, a well presented jumble of nonsense.

Posted

What the heck!!! Now this just isn't fair! Some of us are sat here in the UK patiently waiting for our first snow of the winter and that totally reliable model, the GFS:whistling:   is showing snow for Morocco on the 6th Dec!!

How can Morocco have snow before us??!! :shok: attachicon.gifGFS gfs-2-228 06Nov14 marked.jpg

Not unusual to see  snow forecast for the Atlas Mountains in December,  even from the GFS :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

or a picaso, a well presented jumble of nonsense.

Its all about perception though surely Mushy :)

Not unusual to see  snow forecast for the Atlas Mountains in December,  even from the GFS :)

Yes how many thousands of metres high are they?