Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Temp 0.4c Dp -4.1c 74% humidity

Pretty much same as here which would be perfect for snow to fall and settle. There is just no shower activity on this northerly wind which is really disappointing. Fingers crossed for the rest of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening all

i went to the peak district yesterday,and glad i did becauase it was a wonderful day out,heres a few pics,hope you enjoy :D

from shrine inn and there abouts,check out that snow drift

post-16960-0-52175300-1422819074_thumb.jpost-16960-0-02671200-1422819199_thumb.jpost-16960-0-48641200-1422819289_thumb.j

it was lovely up snakes pass

from pics 1-9

1,my fave,a frozen pond at the top of snake pass(temps up here was -2.5c)

2,the way down from the top of snake pass to glossop,,note the car heading down,he was struggling with the snow constantly blowing onto the road

3,on our way back down towards ladybower there was a number of cars abandoned with there windows smashed in,vandels :angry:

4,entrance to the crash site on blackheath moor

5,heading further down towards the forest

6,there was many of these icicles around,love these

7,one of many waterfalls that you can enjoy around here

8,snow on spruce trees,what a wonderful site

9,one of my faves,with a blue hue against a sunset backdrop

post-16960-0-42932800-1422819430_thumb.jpost-16960-0-65360200-1422819523_thumb.jpost-16960-0-49979400-1422819771_thumb.j

post-16960-0-65704700-1422819871_thumb.jpost-16960-0-67432900-1422819976_thumb.jpost-16960-0-79569900-1422820077_thumb.j

post-16960-0-11507300-1422820218_thumb.jpost-16960-0-21232600-1422820333_thumb.jpost-16960-0-66250000-1422820441_thumb.j

just run out of time before top gear starts,so i will be back to edit this post later to give more info on the pics :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

it has been a pretty good winter here so far and may it continue,to the members on here,if you have the spare time,get up here it is beautiful,it will stick around for some time,cheers :)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Pretty much same as here which would be perfect for snow to fall and settle. There is just no shower activity on this northerly wind which is really disappointing. Fingers crossed for the rest of the week.

It's been like this thru the cold spell perfect conditions for snow but no ppn then last two days loads of ppn but to warm annoying.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Well last winter there was hardly any snow on the hills, this year there has been lots on the hills but small amounts at lower levels so at least we are trending in the right direction. Winter 15/16 harshest in 600 years? Yes please  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Good pics Si! Love it out in the peaks when its like this. Im just at the end of the snake pass. Been a good winter here for snow. This is now my third deep spell. Im very lucky!

Vizzy, I guess one good thing weve got going for us is that were now passed solar max, so in theory we should start to see more HLB in the next few winters as we decend down. If predictions about cycle 25 are correct then im hoping it stays low so we can enjoy some awesome winters :D:cold:

• Like 3

Posted

Good pics Si! Love it out in the peaks when its like this. Im just at the end of the snake pass. Been a good winter here for snow. This is now my third deep spell. Im very lucky!

Vizzy, I guess one good thing weve got going for us is that were now passed solar max, so in theory we should start to see more HLB in the next few winters as we decend down. If predictions about cycle 25 are correct then im hoping it stays low so we can enjoy some awesome winters :D:cold:

Don't understand the connection with winters and the Solar malarkey   :cc_confused:  :p But what we need to remember so far this winter is we have had no HLB blocking, so the fact people such as yourself have seen 3 decent snowfalls is not bad going, its quite hard to get nationwide snowfall without it and requires a lot of luck. People winge about the Northerly saying its not cold like they used to be, but problem is its not a truely arctic sourced Northerly, which are usually associated with Greenie Highs and very cold air. The overall NH pattern has not been in favour for cold in the UK, so considering.. we haven't done too bad and I wont be giving up on snow until April arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Unbelievable...with the f/casts given for the region i spent 2 days looking out my window and light watching, gave up today after having rain/sleet/rain for 24hrs, so watched a couple of programs on TV, went to make a good cuppa, looked out...and it had snowed...not a lot but dusting on sheds, cars, etc...? there wasn't any echo on radar...? temp now -2degC and all frozen solid...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Euro4 and NMM looking good for at least some shower activity pushing a bit further inland tomorrow evening around 6pm to midnight. Some areas could get lucky if it plays out as they suggest.

15020218_0112.gif

nmm_uk1-1-36-0.png?01-20

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 2

Posted

Ive stopped looking through the window full stop, since the neighbour across the road asked me what was happening the previous day as he had seen me looking intently out of the window...when I told him he looked at me like I was some weirdo lol Its not looking great for Tues/ Weds Scotland look to get it but theres talk of it petering out before it gets anywhere near us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Ive stopped looking through the window full stop, since the neighbour across the road asked me what was happening the previous day as he had seen me looking intently out of the window...when I told him he looked at me like I was some weirdo lol Its not looking great for Tues/ Weds Scotland look to get it but theres talk of it petering out before it gets anywhere near us.

haha that's exactly what happened with me theres a main road near and neighbour asked me and looked at me gone out he though there was some accident on road lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Don't understand the connection with winters and the Solar malarkey   :cc_confused:  :p But what we need to remember so far this winter is we have had no HLB blocking, so the fact people such as yourself have seen 3 decent snowfalls is not bad going, its quite hard to get nationwide snowfall without it and requires a lot of luck. People winge about the Northerly saying its not cold like they used to be, but problem is its not a truely arctic sourced Northerly, which are usually associated with Greenie Highs and very cold air. The overall NH pattern has not been in favour for cold in the UK, so considering.. we haven't done too bad and I wont be giving up on snow until April arrives.

Ive looked into it a bit, as it intreagues me. There seems to be a connection between high solar activity and a stronger PV and jet stream. Seems its down to solar flux and UV levels. These past two winters have had high levels of both, as you might expect at solar max and we have seen a lack of HLB in the past 2 winters. In 2009 and 2010 the sun was very quiet and it was just after a minimum, and ull remember 09 and 10 saw some good snowy and blocked spells. I do beleive there is some link anyway :)

I agree with you, im not writing off winter. In fact its been a bloody good one id say for Sheffield already. As you say, it can snow right into April, so plenty of time left yet for more!

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted

Euro4 and NMM looking good for at least some shower activity pushing a bit further inland tomorrow evening around 6pm to midnight. Some areas could get lucky if it plays out as they suggest.

Yep just cottoned on to that now, was too busy looking at Tues/Weds. Heres the MetOs look on it :

post-6447-0-67097900-1422825931_thumb.jp

And heres the latest Hi res NMM:

nmm_uk1-1-32-2.png?01-20

Looks like its a trough so could be some accumulating snowfall for some places. And also the main attraction about this feature is its NOT marginal. Here are the uppers for the same time:

nmm_uk1-16-32-2.png?01-20

Generally -8c 850 hpa temps so it will be snow right down to sea level. Showers could also move inland and will head south through Lincolnshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Great photos Allseasons! Maybe more of us should travel if we want snow ;)

See above^

i must admit,i am so lucky to live next to the peak district,also i am heading up to Cumbria for a few days from next Saturday,it's looks settled so it should be good viewing,hope it's not a cloudy high though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Whilst all speculation weird that the counyryfile forecast suggested some snow showers mid week yet met office who supply their info watered down their thoughts looking at countryfile eastern fringes say A1 eastwards may see oddments lets hope so

Posted

I didn't understand why there was a MetO Amber warning for York on Tuesday published last Friday. Surely they had no confidence that would happen?

Still waiting for some decent snow here! Off to see friends in Sheffield next weekend so there will probably be none left there and then a blizzard in York!

Cursed, I tell ya, Cursed.

Posted

Temp 0.3C Dew point -4.1C, Perfect, apart from the showers are a couple of miles off the coast. So close yet so far. Every aspect of this cold spell has been against us.

Looking ahead, showers tomorrow as mentioned above. Checked Meto text forecast, rain at coast with temp of 3C!

I give up! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Snow showers through the evening and into tomorrow morning for the Humber and parts of north Lincolnshire. Looks cold enough for low level accumulations away from the immediate coastline. 

I don't mean to sound biased, but Hull does look like a pretty good location to be today with accum precips around 7-11mm. Can it be all snow?

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

Anyone find that it felt very cold this morning?!?! Nearly froze the proverbial's off walking too and back from the gym in shorts!  :laugh:

Beautiful sunrise from behind the snow topped Wolds this morning. Proper cold has arrived now, although its funny how precip buggers off when the real cold turns up. Looked out this morning I couldn't see any frost and thought WTF! But the temp is -1.2c currently and dew -3.4c and bone dry out there, all the moisture from yesterday has disappeared, conditions are ripe for settling snow if any showers choose to come my way over the next few days.

Posted

well not expecting anything here, bbc forecast said winds from north, met forecast say winds from w/nw so will keep showers away from here, no frost this morning, current temp -2.2, dew point -4.2, wind chill -4.6

Posted

well not expecting anything here, bbc forecast said winds from north, met forecast say winds from w/nw so will keep showers away from here, no frost this morning, current temp -2.2, dew point -4.2, wind chill -4.6

You might be surprised later sparky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It certainly was parky driving over the Wolds to work this morning, and there's still a bit of lying snow on the Wolds in places but it's so dry now, that any falling snow should have no problem settling.  We just need to see a few showers popping up.