Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

In the words of James May...'This winter is cock'...we have a gale force Nly coming from the Arctic region...in January...it's 1degC...and it's raining...!!! it should be snow all the way, in the 80's i fished regularly along the east coast and even in November when we had Nly gales it was snow, even at 2-3degC, i've seen 3" of snow on the beach several times in the past so what the frack is going on this winter...i'm really miffed...if you can't tell...

You've dropped your badge mate

Posted

In the words of James May...'This winter is cock'...we have a gale force Nly coming from the Arctic region...in January...it's 1degC...and it's raining...!!! it should be snow all the way, in the 80's i fished regularly along the east coast and even in November when we had Nly gales it was snow, even at 2-3degC, i've seen 3" of snow on the beach several times in the past so what the frack is going on this winter...i'm really miffed...if you can't tell...

Its not that confusing, you got a mild sector within the flow and the Northerly is not a clean one although next week it should be a much cleaner and colder flow. 

The reason why your getting rain at 1C is down to the dewpoint probably being around the same whereas in a proper clean Northerly, you may get temps of up 2C but with a dew temp of -2 and that can lead to snowfall. 

• Like 1

Posted

Its not that confusing, you got a mild sector within the flow and the Northerly is not a clean one although next week it should be a much cleaner and colder flow. 

The reason why your getting rain at 1C is down to the dewpoint probably being around the same whereas in a proper clean Northerly, you may get temps of up 2C but with a dew temp of -2 and that can lead to snowfall. 

Yeah next week looking much better in terms of cold air. Could be good for coastal regions with plenty of showers on offer. Further inland its hit and miss

Snow thawing rapidly here. In fact its nearly gone in non sheltered areas. Should hold onto snow where its drifted, or is away from the wind. 

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

There has definately been a good bit of melting today, anybody who says other wise is telling porkies.

The melt pretty much stopped at lunch ish when the cloud cleared away. I think above 300m there has been little or no melt with elevations lower than that suffering varying amounts of melt down to sea level where there is all but nothing.

Even though it snowed last night it really wasn't that cold, tonight will be cold if it stays clear, and tomorrow is going to be a lot colder than today has been.

Yes there certainly has, even up here at 250m the snow is taking on that uneaven look now with melt underneath. Roads are clear now and its dropped off cars etc. Big shame, always makes me sad seeing it melt :(

Having said that, there is still decent depth on the grass and huge piles of snow everwhere where ppl have cleared drives etc so its still a nice white world. Melting should stop now sun is going down and due point is now below 0 again. It should hopefully remain that way now all next week. Think weve seen the last of the strong melting now. Next few days should be colder :)

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes there certainly has, even up here at 250m the snow is taking on that uneaven look now with melt underneath. Roads are clear now and its dropped off cars etc. Big shame, always makes me sad seeing it melt :(

Having said that, there is still decent depth on the grass and huge piles of snow everwhere where ppl have cleared drives etc so its still a nice white world. Melting should stop now sun is going down and due point is now below 0 again. It should hopefully remain that way now all next week. Think weve seen the last of the strong melting now. Next few days should be colder :)

Will certainly slow down although we need to it freeze tonight, but its too late for me (although still on northerly facing gardens, fields and in piles). Mind you in the village higher up there is still a good amount (amazing what 1 mile and a 50m difference can do!)

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

I'm not sure I understand why the current Met Office yellow warning for South Yorkshire for Sat and Sun includes snow when according to its weather graphics there is no snow forecast until Tuesday!

Posted

May scrape the odd shower, but nothing more. Close the east coast should be better

Opportunity for some snow showers Wednesday through to Thursday night on the GFS (across the region as a whole). UKMO keeps us mostly dry (away from the coast) 

Posted

I just take it all as it comes, i can't change what weather we are going to get so i don't like to hope 'that' system gets over here. I spend most of the year hoping to dodge winds and systems. I think i need to move to Scandinavia, they have it sussed there....only prob is the missus wants southern france and not cold.

• Like 2

Posted

So Ive seen a few comments regarding a slight possibility of snow shower overnight? Was I dreaming? If not where abouts are they going to come from? North east? 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The main problem with tonight's Snow for the east of Yorkshire is there's another warm sector. So it could well be a rain and sleet affair over all. Looking like a quiet end to the cold spell which is a long way away in deep Fi.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

So Ive seen a few comments regarding a slight possibility of snow shower overnight? Was I dreaming? If not where abouts are they going to come from? North east?

This forecast from the Met office seems confident;

This Evening and Tonight:

Further wintry showers overnight, these likely to fall as snow away from coasts giving further accumulations, especially across the Pennines. Strong northerly winds will accentuate the cold with severe wind-chill. Minimum Temperature -2C

Ties in with the weather warning for a couple of centimetres in the early hours for areas away from the coast;

Other areas will be largely dry until a more organised area of light snow moves southwards during the early hours of Sunday morning. Accumulations of 1-2 cm are possible, with perhaps 5 cm on some high ground, mainly in the north and west.

The radar does look a bit sparse at the moment though I must admit.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

forecast poor for anymore snow, rain tomorrow and then looking very dry for the next few days after that.

Really? I would say you are in a prime position for quite a bit of snow come Tuesday and Wednesday when the wind switches a little more Easterly...

Posted

Really? I would say you are in a prime position for quite a bit of snow come Tuesday and Wednesday when the wind switches a little more Easterly...

well i like your thinking, and i hope you are right, but after seeing the 5 day met office forecast for here it does say that it will be dry.

Posted

well i like your thinking, and i hope you are right, but after seeing the 5 day met office forecast for here it does say that it will be dry.

That's just the raw output though. Take with a pinch of salt at this range.

It may well stay dry if the projected Easterly element to the winds doesn't materialise but as things stand it's looking good for many in our region (not here though at the moment!)

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Air temp is 2.9C and dew point is 0.8C, slooooooowly getting there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Temp 2.1c Dew Point -1.2c. What do ya reckon to overnight WC, looking at the available data myself I reckon similar to last night with snow confined to Moors/Wolds but MetO do talk of snow accumulations inland away from the coast, even at lower levels. Even York had a bit of settling snow this morning, not sure if we did but I woke up at 9am to sleet. Just back from a 5 mile headtorch trail run through Dalby Forest, lots of crunchy snow at the top above 200m.

Posted

evening everyone, well it was great to see the snow here this morning, dont think i have ever seen snowflakes as big as they were, shame it all went so quick, current temp here 1.8c dew point -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I reckon the NYM and Wolds will see a fair bit of snow tonight looking at the amount of ppn coming down on radar...it'll just be rain for us...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I reckon the NYM and Wolds will see a fair bit of snow tonight looking at the amount of ppn coming down on radar...it'll just be rain for us...

Aye same old, thinking of moving to the Wolds, although "to get more snow in winter" isn't the greatest argument when choosing where to live with the other half. I don't care if its a 1 bedroom tent, if its 500m above sea level, I'm moving in...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Pictures from Lady Canning Plantation in the Hills above Sheffield the Snow is knee deep even waist deep in some of the drifts it's unreal Just how much snow is up there.

Well worth a trip up there for those in search of some serious snow, you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Norway or something.

post-6183-0-43313100-1422735723_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-15427300-1422735747_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-89355200-1422735784_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-00745800-1422735803_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-38332200-1422735826_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-64205700-1422735871_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-57360100-1422737211_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-62612000-1422737281_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-58456400-1422737303_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-08192500-1422737320_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-54064500-1422737343_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-24510400-1422737362_thumb.jp