Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Snowing again in Darvel. Only left a dusting again though.

Hopefully things pep up a bit or I can see it just staying as a dusting.

Posted

Anyone know a good snow dance (like a rain dance, only colder)?

Alternatively, a large excavator to bulldoze the Cairngorms would be nice...  :p

Sunny but snowless here. :)

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Same here Richard. Snowless and sunny with a fair breeze. Was down by the beach at prestonpans this morning and it felt cold. So much so my windscreen wash froze on my windscreen (remind myself to top up washers with far stronger solution)

Getting exciting looking at all the fax charts. Steering clear of MT at the mo. LS really appreciate your fantastic analysis, thank youâ„ï¸â›„ï¸

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been snowing off and on this morning, proper snow and graupely stuff too. Still Baltic at 0.3c. Skies in Skye very heavy....more to come?

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Level 3 Cold Alert  :cold:  - bless em.

This made me chuckle. ( tongue firmly in cheek here - am aware these warnings have a purpose...)

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Why the alert for the whole of England?

Am I going bonkers or is it not cold up here or in Ireland or in Wales ( or are we supposedly used to it?)

Guess we are.. -16 at mid-day on Monday, aye - bit chilly today..

attachicon.gifviewimage.png

Warnings for the weekend being updated for Snow and Ice and rolling out now..

Morning all - hope you are all well.  Happy 2015 to everyone!  Having spent a great Hogmanay in my old area and due to visit again in February, I regularly read this, the most friendly and informative regional thread on n-w and am delighted to read of snow reports in my old stomping ground.  Hoping it will stay cold and with snow during 9th to 16 Feb.

Just to avoid the confusion :  It is my understanding the Met Office has a partnership agreement with Health to issue cold warnings so health authorities can plan services which are particularly impacted by cold weather, e.g. for older and vulnerable adults, pressure on A&E with fractures from ice and other cold related serious health issues etc.

I don't know why NHS Scotland hasn't got a reciprocal arrangement with the Met Office because, although I work in the NHS in England, NHS Scotland operates independently and is a separate organisation so I have no idea why they haven't set up a similar warning system for the country.   In this case the Met Office (maybe they get funding to offer this service?) isn't being biased, although it is easy to assume this is the case if people aren't aware of why these cold alerts were set up.   

Perhaps a regular in the kilty thread, who works in NHS Scotland, or knows someone who does, might know why they haven't set up a similar arrangement with the Met Office? I'd be interested to know why, given the more extreme weather the country gets which must have a significant health and well-being impact on older/vulnerable people?  (Am saying 'must' have as a question - silly really as I know it does; because that was my patient cohort group when I had responsibility across Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire).  Plus all the extra demand on health for all age groups, as well as social care providers....I did try to find out at the time but didn't ever get an answer - probably wasn't high enough up the food chain at the time.

Right, that's the sensible bit over with, let's get back to the much more amusing hypotheses... :whistling:

Reason for edit:  spilling mistake.  And I saw reports of lying snow in Killie (nearest weather station) whoo hoo!

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

:cold::):good:

Big fluffy snow in showers, bright sunshine and blue sky between showers = favourite winter weather. Best morning for a long time, can't beat splitting and stacking firewood in the snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I've seen a snow shower today in Stirling so that's always a good start to the day :)

(didn't lie but didn't expect it to)

I was looking at the radar and predictions of the next few hours and looks like 4pm onward should see an uptick in showers.

A little strange how the met office 5 day forecast on their app (which has the predicted radar on it) shows little precipitation for Dumfries after mid evening time when the radar prediction (on the same app) shows a rash of showers constantly being fed in all evening and well into tomorrow....

I guess it's a case of watching and waiting since showers are so unpredictable -as I found out on Tuesday night :(

Edit: snowing lightly now with a small accumulation on the grass :)

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Big fluffy snow in showers, bright sunshine and blue sky between showers = favourite winter weather. Best morning for a long time, can't beat splitting and stacking firewood in the snow.

Favourite chore! Photos please of your log pile. With snow; after the 9pm watershed, obviously.

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted

Just back from Inverness exactly the same here and totally agree with your post.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Regarding the NHS early warning system of cold weather. We don't have them in Scotland cause we are hard! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Looks like a big snow shower heading into Ayrshire soon according to the radar :)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Looks like a big snow shower heading into Ayrshire soon according to the radar :)

Can you add a link for the Radar Stormeh?

Big Innes

Posted

Met Office has 90% Probability for Heavy Snow from Midnight tonight until 7am tomorrow morning.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that's incorrect. Surely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Bright, Sunny & Cauld here at work in West Lothian!

Any Snaw oan offur fur the Central Belt today / Tonight?

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Gawd.....just made the mistake of eating lunch and reading the model thread.......   A serious case of indigestion!   Couple of Rennies will fix my indigestion  but as for the MT.....anaesthetic on a drip feed seems a good idea for some!

Anyhoo   Looking good folks!   certainly going to be cold, regardless of where the flakes fall.

• Like 2