Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

hc wash your mouth out after that imby post....I take it you have a feeling ure just gonna be dry and cold...I think I know what I will think once LS or Lorenzo extract the digit and do their jobs ;)

Yeah, imby post guv, I confess, because to be honest I don't give a flying one whether it's snowy in Edinburgh or Perth any more than Manchester or Swindon (with apologies to residents of all thos elovely places).

I'd say the northern Highlands will get another covering over this weekend largely to make up for what's just been washed away, but beyond that, I'd say it's a bit doubtful. Easterlies are a waste of time for here, as was shown last winter and the one before.

Gimme a northerly every time!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

I thought the temperature would have fallen this afternoon but it's went up. When I got in at 2 it was 3.0c but it has now risen to 5.9/4.9 with a wind chill of 1.0 but with my weather station underestimating wind speeds it probably it should probably feel colder. Pressure is 962.7hPa

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Looks as if we are in for a cold spell over the weekend and into next week.    We may even see some of the white stuff here in Aberdeen !!

This spell, which is looking likely being potentially prolonged, is going to involve cold air pushing right across the country from the north and east. I'd say that you WILL see snow, not might.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yeah, imby post guv, I confess, because to be honest I don't give a flying one whether it's snowy in Edinburgh or Perth any more than Manchester or Swindon (with apologies to residents of all thos elovely places).

I'd say the northern Highlands will get another covering over this weekend largely to make up for what's just been washed away, but beyond that, I'd say it's a bit doubtful. Easterlies are a waste of time for here, as was shown last winter and the one before.

Gimme a northerly every time!

This post from Phil should provide some cheer HC..

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82281-model-output-discussion-14th-jan-12z-onwards/page-28?p=3120190#entry3120190

UKMO looking good this evening, over to the ECM to see if it can reel out a 'that ECM' and deliver a bone chilling det run similar to the control.

post-7292-0-47679700-1421343870_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

There you go..

post-7292-0-33133800-1421348628_thumb.gi

Funny looking thing on the 96 too???

post-7292-0-66205300-1421348629_thumb.gi

ECM toppler tonight, looks a mess of shortwaves and not a very clean solution vs the other models at 120. Look forward to seeing where it lives in the ENS.

post-7292-0-46022500-1421348713_thumb.gipost-7292-0-35584600-1421348714_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-49333600-1421348715_thumb.gipost-7292-0-38176400-1421348712_thumb.gi

More ying yang with mood on easterlies than anything else on the forum, they really should carry a health warning.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Biblical rain just now, if this carries on I might need a kayak to get to the pub! Edit: ok, heading your way, NL, get under cover! Over an inch an hour at this rate...

Agreed Lorenzo, easterlies are a divisive bunch. Love them or hate them, they're useless for here cos the big hills take all the ppn.

Kalahari Surfers anyone?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Biblical rain just now, if this carries on I might need a kayak to get to the pub! Edit: ok, heading your way, NL, get under cover! Over an inch an hour at this rate...

Agreed Lorenzo, easterlies are a divisive bunch. Love them or hate them, they're useless for here cos the big hills take all the ppn.

Kalahari Surfers anyone?

I despise easterlies myself HC (especially south-easterlies): 10c in summer, 4c in winter, miserable damp cold and grey year round!

North easterlies are fine though, I'll take one of those, a slack flow and -10c uppers please. ;-)

More interesting model runs this evening!

• Like 2

Posted

Kalahari Surfers anyone?

Yes its arrived .Water pouring across all the roads and ditches full this evening. I am just desperate for a dry frosty spell. Currently 3.1c so high ground must be getting some snowfall. Cawdor hills to the SW of us looked awesome in one of the rare breaks this afternoon.
  • Like 2

Posted

Getting a feeling in my bones that the next week is going to be Easterly dominated - going by chatter about the place - so will us Westies be loosing out this time? Come to think of it that other night was hellish getting home, maybe not tempt fate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

That "biblical rain" has made it here too now and very blustery with it so looks wild out. I'll swear there's an element of sleet in it, but just barely, despite a current temp of 4.7/1.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Interesting looking trough down the east...Sunday not without interest for some and potentially developing into something quite tasty....post-15765-0-63277200-1421357273_thumb.g

Some ice days next week as well so desperate for a decent covering asap to help lower the temps and get the sledge run operational for a decent length of time

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

A lot of snow now appearing on the Highland traffic cameras. Might get something tonight!

Posted

A lot of snow now appearing on the Highland traffic cameras. Might get something tonight!

Yup dying off just now in the hills before reaching south but someplaces should be getting decent dump

Posted

Now that's a northerly ! :cold:

post-7292-0-81416800-1421360170_thumb.pn

• Like 9

Posted

I'm a little disappointed with the output today, mainly the easterly for next week which has sunk south and is looking less potent. The next few days will see some areas in Scotland get a decent fall but after that, those south of the border look to be in prime position for fronts and lows.

However, tomorrow is a new day...

Posted

I'm a little disappointed with the output today, mainly the easterly for next week which has sunk south and is looking less potent. The next few days will see some areas in Scotland get a decent fall but after that, those south of the border look to be in prime position for fronts and lows.

However, tomorrow is a new day...

Its back on the 18zpost-15765-0-07385600-1421363829_thumb.ppost-15765-0-30994800-1421363843_thumb.p

Not too shabby given the surface cold we will have at this point so hawesy excepted this would deliver for many and Sunday night has good potential for Dundee...wrists were being slit 3 hrs ago in Mt and now all is well so take little notice....watch the cold arrive watch the faxes and wait for LS Lorenzo etc etc to eloquently explain the potential scenarios

• Like 1

Posted

I tend to only look 2 days ahead now. The charts can and are often wrong. Probably be a different output tomorrow. Just hope I wake up to at least a dusting and a busy radar.

Posted

Now that's a northerly ! :cold:

attachicon.gifviewimage.png

Boom as they like to say.....HC must like that

• Like 2

Posted

Not too shabby given the surface cold we will have at this point so hawesy excepted this would deliver for many and Sunday night has good potential for Dundee...wrists were being slit 3 hrs ago in Mt and now all is well so take little notice....watch the cold arrive watch the faxes and wait for LS Lorenzo etc etc to eloquently explain the potential scenarios

I'll be down in deepest Lancashire this weekend...at a fair altitude. As Catch said earlier there's bound to be some snow in Crail while I'm away. ;-)

You're quite right though, no point in worrying over the details, we've got a very interesting 5 days (at least) coming up. In the short term very cold tomorrow: GFS has 515 dam and -9c 850s for here at Noon tomorrow. Will be dry and sunny, of course!

Posted

Yeah the model thread is poor today with all the IMBY posts.

Essex this, Sussex that...

It'll snow on the road signs on the M4 but rain on the road itself.

PFFFTTTTT and goodnight.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Posted similar is MT thread, that (might just be me) sliders are no good for us up here especially the one March 2012? When wales got quite alot of snow lets just say ha!