Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Orgasms all round in the MT, apart from those that can't find the 850 charts.  Glad I've got a sledge already, they'll be sold out in a couple of days (hint, hint).

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain here at 2.4C. Lying snow getting pretty wet. Wind getting up.

My brother had been heading up to Inverness today for a meeting but didn't get there. Stopped the night at my mums in Aberfeldy to shorten the journey today because of the forecast. He got up to around 8 inches of snow and heavy snow coming on and still under zero. Decided to give it a while after checking reports and eventually headed back South rather than North at lunchtime. Reckoned around a foot of snow there with more coming when he left. Snow cover as far down the road as Dunblane.

Been snowing again North of Perth this evening I believe though forecast to turn back to rain for a time at valley levels overnight.

• Like 2

Posted

What a night left Paisley and it was sleety then as I got to the port turning more and more to snow, was chucking it down to sea level, couldn't get up the hill to the house so ditched car at my mate's and walked through the forest path shortcut (very nice). It turned to rain (inevitably) and I went and rescued my car as my old man had went and gritted all the bad corners earlier on. Just got in there and did get stuck right at the very top of the hill (again lol same thing happened last year). What a night!

Edited by grifter
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Heavy sleet here earlier. More rain at the mo. 2 C.

Soutra looks wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yes, rather unpleasant. The rain shield is broken although the snow shield is still working perfectly.

If it's any consolation even here, inland a bit, it seems to have been straight to rain with no sign of any leading edge snow. Currently 2.4/1.0C here, which is down slightly from when I got home at 6pm (dewpoint was still sub zero then though). Let's hope the weekend onward finally brings us in the NE something more interesting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Orgasms all round in the MT, apart from those that can't find the 850 charts.  Glad I've got a sledge already, they'll be sold out in a couple of days (hint, hint).

Pretty chilly from Fri on on the ECM. I guess the easterly towards the end has folk excited.

ecmt850.192.png

ecmt850.216.png

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted

So Friday could be interesting:

Yes, I saw that one. I have to be at Glencoe ski centre by 9.00 am Friday for a training course so if it's still modelled in the morning, I'll probably travel tomorrow night and sleep in the car.

• Like 1

Posted

More heavy snow overnight (have too busy outside enjoying the snowday with PG junior to post anything so far...  :D ) and we ended up with almost 7 inches (17cm) of level snow.  :yahoo:

Changed to rain for a while this afternoon and the temperature rose up to 2.0ºC briefly. Now back to 0.3ºC/1ºC and was snowing again for a while  :clap:  before gradually turning into the 'wintry mix' type of muck. Ah well, a 24 hour mild blipette to endure now...

Some snaps from this morning, including one of the new wintry addition to the family, 'Mr Teeny', the snowman - as named by 4 y.o. PG junior. If he wasn't so young, I'd think he was taking the p1sh, as Mr 'Teeny' looks like he's had a particularly fine festive season...

Looking at the charts for next week, it's rinse and repeat time - with bells on. Hope that those kilters who missed out this time get a proper whumphing from the next batch.  

This winter is reminding me more and more of winter 2012-13 (and we could even do a bit better than that one).

In the OPI we trust...  :whistling:

attachicon.gifIMG_20150114_120036.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150114_123917.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150114_131208.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150114_131214.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150114_131252.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150114_131257.jpg

Good to see Comrie in the snow. I was down your way working a few weeks ago and thought to myself, bet this looks nice under a cover of snow. Funny how some places give you that impression - Fortrose on the other hand seems to look best in summer...

• Like 1

Posted

Hey guys people keep mentioning the MT - whits at?

Model Thread, another part of this forum:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82281-model-output-discussion-14th-jan-12z-onwards/

Gets a bit overloaded when the weather gets wintry, but some of the more knowledgeable ones put their thoughts in there.

Lol... just watched the bbc forecast online and the sound carries on for a few seconds after the video finishes. I wonder what she's up to... :cc_confused::rofl:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

IF this low pressure system was all snow then it would probably be an absolute dump in places right now as radar looks reds/yellow's/greens but it is as it is (the snow will be back though)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Great stuff PG and good luck to Hotspur with seeing some white stuff....been out enjoying the last of the life in the luncarty sledge run....been 2 great nights but that will be it until we/if get some fresh stuff after this pesky mild blip....although allows that excitement of searching for the next time we get snow and can't come soon enough....not only does it mean we can play together as a family it also knackers them so they crash out nice and early :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Love these Eumetsat images. This is another belter.

post-7292-0-49724700-1421267953_thumb.jp

Must be a sting jet in there..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Love these Eumetsat images. This is another belter.

attachicon.gifEUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

Must be a sting jet in there..

I'm (un)reliably informed there is no sting jet in it, even though this system looks more potent than a previous system I showed with a sting jet! :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted

In the model output it seems some sort of cold spell is on the way. Is this some sort of freeze? Or will it be like now and only confined to higher ground? Still heavy rain here outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Pressure beginning to drop quickly now. Down to 961mb, we have horizontal rain and a very stiff breeze! Temp 2c.

Posted

Just landed at Edinburgh. Very choppy final decent although winds were stronger when I left monday lunchtime. Direction was SW monday aligned with the runway, but SSE this evening which makes all the difference as a cross wind!

Happy to be on the ground. Now where's all this snow?