Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

It's the dreaded long fetch easterly Lorenzo! Those of us on the immediate east coast shudder unless 850s are at least -10c and surface winds not too strong!

Been a good couple of days: impressive snowfall for a few, decent snowfall for others and of course some of us are yet to see snow on the ground.

Personally I'm feeling confident about seeing some snow at the weekend. That's because I won't be in Crail but 220m asl in Lancashire. ;-)

6 inches of snow coming up for Crail at the weekend then?

Some sumptuous charts out there, defo time to crack out the ramps :)

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Good charts! I have officially had 3 more days of snow than last Jan. Yes I have had 3 days of lying snow this year and hee haw last year. Plus I had 2 days lying snow in December despite it being awful. So 5 snow days so far. Not epic snow but still nice to know we can still get snow in the central lowlands from the Atlantic.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

We must be due an LS Epic Post?

Darren Bett oan the BBC mentioned that we are going into a cauld spell, as not seen for a couple of years!!!

Big Innes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Is it raining with you Ed? I notice Dunkeld still reporting medium to heavy snow at 0.2C just up the road. Cold seems to be hanging in around there. Not sure about further North?

Edit I see Aviemore showing rain at 3C

Yup rain all night but Dunkeld often has snow when we do not...It's a hot spot or a cold spot I should say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

The little snow we had in Cumbie has defo long since vanished. A night of high winds and heavy rain. Thoroughly depressing!

Posted

Thoroughly unpleasant conditions of heavy cold rain driven by strong winds travelling to and from the concert. I'm delighted at the charts and Synoptics on show on the models and the potential for cold and snow is almost as epic and stunning as the Queen concert.

Now clear with a starry sky all the snow melted except for a pile at the side of the driveway. It was nice while the covering of snow lasted, a mere cm but satisfying enough but hopefully more days with lying snow and deeper accumulations will be in store for us during this upcoming period of cold and wintry weather. Potentially this could be the most significant period of winter weather since December 2010 but we shouldn't get too carried away just yet although I feel the effects of the negative OPI is finally showing its hand.

• Like 1

Loads of coastal flood warnings out around the Firth of Clyde for the storm surge this morning, should be past the worst after high tide in about an hour or so:

http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/

I saw a photo on Facebook last night of Rothesay town centre, which resembled a very large puddle at tea time. I think it'll be worse this morning.

Posted

Still very windy a patch of snow still lying out of the wind beside the beech hedge and currently 2.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! Well, wasn't that a breezy, sleety, raniy kinda night? Pressure has really dropped now at 944mb. Wind has dropped a bit, but I expect more of last night's offerings later on today. Those charts for next week? WOW! That is all....

Posted

Some wee patches of snaw still hanging on here this morning!

Wind still blasting away to

Big Innes

Morning Kilties! Well, wasn't that a breezy, sleety, raniy kinda night? Pressure has really dropped now at 944mb. Wind has dropped a bit, but I expect more of last night's offerings later on today. Those charts for next week? WOW! That is all....

I know, the charts are looking good. I ventured into the MT and there is a wee bit of "oh dear it's not going to last long" but nowt over the top. Their man from the BEEB (Ian Fergusson) seems to indicate that Wales/Midlands northwards could see some possibly significant snow. That means us my fellow tartanists :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Charts still look excellent for here....and most of the UK....the bleating is purely because the easterly and really cold uppers no longer showing for the very SE of England....It's ironic considering how much moaning there was in the MT that they are actually complaining at this output given what they were looking at last week....it will never change.....

• Like 1

I lot of bleating in the MT from those living in the southern counties....where when and how much is far from nailed on..but it will certainly be colder and chances of snow falling is good.

I wouldn't even look too much past about 168hrs at the moment, some of these charts are ridiculous considering what we've seen with the cold/cool zonal pattern for weeks on end:

post-2844-0-53727500-1421310454_thumb.gi

Posted

Morning all,

Blowin a hoolie in Crail. Leuchars reporting mean speed of 37mph, you can add several mph on here as we're more exposed. I'd estimate gusts in the 55-60mph range for now. Looks like the colder air kicks back in overnight tonight. Currently 5.4c.

• Like 1

One of my Facebook friends posted up these pics this morning. I've cut and paste the story which she posted up with up too, it's quite a sad tale and a stark reminder that despite us all loving snow it can have very serious consequences:

Fairlie Station 1940
An engine stuck at the entrance to the tunnel. Another came to shunt it through and failed. Another came to shunt them but the centre one uncoupled and the driver was killed. To get to Ardeer from Fairlie, workers had to get a steamer from the pier to Wemyss Bay, get a train from there to Paisley and another train from Paisley to Stevenston. One man died after walking from the bungalows to the pier in the snow

post-2844-0-08257500-1421311335_thumb.jppost-2844-0-66512500-1421311335_thumb.jp

Fairlie is on the Clyde Coast, slightly south of Largs.

(I asked permission before copying and pasting :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

3.4C, mean wind speed around 45mph gusting just over 50mph.  House is freezing cold this morning even though the heating's on full blast.  That wind chills it to the bone when it's from the south.

Still snow up here too.  Especially along the stone dykes where the large drifts look just like they did yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Pretty windy here this morning. Dyce weather station says 21kts, gusting to 46kts at 9am but it felt stronger than that on the drive into work. Probably because it was more of a side wind this morning across the A96. Temp at home was 5.6C before I left the house, although the dewpoint was sub zero. In all we had 7.2mm of rain from that front coming through (6.2mm between around 6pm and midnight and another 1mm after midnight).

Looks like the GFS 0Z isn't as good as the 18Z was, but then that was bound to happen given how stunning the 18Z was. Nothing scientific, just a gut feeling, but I just can't get excited about the output. Yes it looks cold and a lot of people will probably see some snow, but I'm just not expecting it to be as special as some in the MT are hyping it up to be. I hope I'm wrong though.

Posted

Snow level dropping. Snowing on Rest And Be Thankful 803ft. If it keeps lowering we have a chance of wet snow above 400ft later today. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of talk of next week, but the way I see it, Central belt could get a decent covering of snow tomorrow. Or am I mistake?? It also looks like it could stay also!??

Posted

Blawing a hoolie still, wind needs to do one and sharp. All snaw has vanished from us, but a few patches remain behind Denny Ressy up the hill.

Looking forward to the cold spell being forecast, be nice if we got some snaw and it stuck for a while so kids can play in it, rather than look, say that's nice, then get blown over when ootside to play.

Posted

The met office forecast for my area is full of heavy snow symbols for Friday / Saturday.

I hope they are right.

I'm hoping my shovelled snow pile which is still there this morning can survive to our next snow arrives.

Posted

Morning -

Well If anyone in places like aviemore has a spare room next week then I will be up in a shot.

I think you guys have a window of 5 - 7 days where the temps are on a par with 2010!

Enjoy

S

I think that you need to re-locate Steve?

It would be Heaven for you up there mate!!!

Thanks for popping in and for you mentioning the Central Belt in one of your Epic Posts last night!

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3