Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

A late night plummet in the first temperature gave us an air frost. Was 0.6C at 6.25, but fell to -0.3C by the time I left at 7.20 and may have dropped a little further after I left

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

A late night plummet in the first temperature gave us an air frost. Was 0.6C at 6.25, but fell to -0.3C by the time I left at 7.20 and may have dropped a little further after I left

The usual dawntime temperature dip, we had a sharp dip here this morning too at that time.

I've been making myself sad looking at old photos. Five years ago today I was watching some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen fall on top of the previous day's dump of snow. Those were the days!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Temp was sitting at -1.2C at around 8:30am this morning. Day started bright with sun and blue skies but a sheet of high-level cloud has moved in now.

NL, 6 inches? Bring it on, but if it matches this winter so far here the best I'll see it 6 inches of sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Wee Jackie Frost paid a visit this morning but his miserable Auntie Dreich stopped by this afternoon.  She has well outstayed her welcome and I'm looking forward to Sister Sleet/Snaw arriving tomorrow morning.  The hills looked lovely this morning so hoping this wee mild windy blip doesn't do too much damage.  

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well back to work tomorrow after a disasterous ski trip. Managed 1/4 at Glencoe. The other 3 days at Aonach Mhor were stormbound. Loads of snow but too windy for uplift. We managed some walks instead, but the sleet and rain meant we got soaked to the skin.

Rannoch Moor was incredible with about a foot of snow in places. I hear Glencoe got 25 inches in two days,and huts look buried again!

Could be a long season this year once he wind calms down.

Posted

Frosty here too no sign of any grass growth and daffs only just peeping through.Turnip tops completely frosted off showing the number of bare frosts we have had as this time time last year they were green and growing. A dusting again this morning and currently 0.5c.

A bit of a forecast, after a winter of dustings I can see a spring blizzard with a good fall of at least 6 inches!!!!any time up to April.

Some of my reasons for saying we may see more snow in the spring is not only are sea temperatures at their lowest , the Arctic is at its coldest and the frequency of N and E winds at its highest but my daughter Aurora Storm said last year in the early  autumn that the SO2 being put into the upper atmosphere from the Icelandic rift volcano which carried on up to Christmas would tend to reflect sunlight in Northern Hemisphere and this was maybe going under the radar leading to a cooler spring in the Northern Hemisphere. I noticed that others have mentioned this also.

Really windy here tonight and currently 6.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Well back to work tomorrow after a disasterous ski trip. Managed 1/4 at Glencoe. The other 3 days at Aonach Mhor were stormbound. Loads of snow but too windy for uplift. We managed some walks instead, but the sleet and rain meant we got soaked to the skin.

Rannoch Moor was incredible with about a foot of snow in places. I hear Glencoe got 25 inches in two days,and huts look buried again!

Could be a long season this year once he wind calms down.

I once spent 4 nights in Fort William and didn't get skiing even once. Was supposed to be 5 nights but we got peed off and left for the last day at Cairngorm. Have also driven up twice for the day only to not manage skiing even though forecasts were not too bad so eventually decided that the fates were against me ever skiing Aonach Mor so still never have. :angry:  Supposed to be pretty good though I am told. :)

Posted

Yep could see us getting some intense cold next week if projections are correct. There is even a hint of a straight northerly late next week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

SWS, what was that you said about a long shot at a Scandi high?

attachicon.gif25th Feb 12z ECM GFS 8 to 10 Day.gif

I said 'low probability' actually ;)

In all seriousness, the possibility has been there for a few weeks but the high never looked to quite making it. The met seemed against such a prediction but perhaps thinks are changing.

A lot of water must pass under that bridge before it comes to fruition but yes, that does have the potential to bring the 'proper' uppers I bemoaned these NWly incursions are sadly missing.

IMBY, I wouldn't hold my breath that my prediction 'last lying snow of the winter' will be wrong but there is a chance. You will have a far better chance if it works out.

I hope it comes sooner rather than later (if it happens at all) as it may keep being out further away and we can't afford that I feel.

Not saying snow can't fall in April (as others have given anecdotal evidence for) but disruptive, long lasting snow (which our inner children all want!) is very unlikely in April whereas now it is still very possible...

• Like 1

Posted

I agree. April snow is more nuisance value at lowland levels. Usually lasts until the afternoon. Too much daylight and sun in April. March can deliver deep snow. It can last as the nights can still produce enough frost to sustain it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I agree. April snow is more nuisance value at lowland levels. Usually lasts until the afternoon. Too much daylight and sun in April. March can deliver deep snow. It can last as the nights can still produce enough frost to sustain it.

Yep, Early April 2013 had cold uppers in place but that couldn't stop consistent maxes of 5/6/7c with each day getting warmer as less snow was on the ground.

Very hard to get an 'ice' day in April but now it's possible with good Synoptics. You need everything perfectly aligned after say 20th of March to get long lasting snow, I hope we can get some before mid-month :)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted

It's quiet here, so who'd take bets on ...

1. The Met Office issuing weather warnings at 11.05 am today for snow showers this evening and tonight. Yellow be aware, impact low, mainly high routes, drifting, covering in places, yada, yada, yada

2. The Met Office issuing weather warnings on Saturday at 11.05 am for heavy snow on Monday morning. Yellow be aware, impact high, uncertainty, track further north or south, significant disruption, rush hour, yada, yada, yada.

Good game, good game, hope you're all playing at home  :)

• Like 3

Posted

It's quiet here, so who'd take bets on ...

1. The Met Office issuing weather warnings at 11.05 am today for snow showers this evening and tonight. Yellow be aware, impact low, mainly high routes, drifting, covering in places, yada, yada, yada

2. The Met Office issuing weather warnings on Saturday at 11.05 am for heavy snow on Monday morning. Yellow be aware, impact high, uncertainty, track further north or south, significant disruption, rush hour, yada, yada, yada.

Good game, good game, hope you're all playing at home  :)

The story this winter appears to be any sort of a warning equals disappointment here!

Except of course when I'm working away for a week when a warning equals a half decent snowfall LOL

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Rain reports from Glenshee last night, certainly warmed up. Our snowcover was blowtorched with just patches remaining now. Cold enough again for a snow shower as I left for work though.. that's the story of what has been a schizophrenic winter

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

Bit of sleet in this shower crossing over currently

As quick as that sun's back out. Short but quite intense shower

Edited by NUT

Posted

We've just had a very short but very heavy snow shower for about 2 minutes but it passed over pretty quickly. Temp is falling back again today after being in double figures here yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Sunny, cold, windy afternoon in Edinburgh. Shower clouds to the north and west though that have that snowy colour to them

Posted

Nice display of mammatus on the back edge. Fields over towards Harthill looking white. Only the grass a had a very slight dusting here tho.

post-26-0-55435400-1424968984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1