Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

So more drama this morning! We now see the generally more negative tilt to the troughing which helps, with a trend to colder conditions across the ECM, GFS P.

The UKMO/GEM look more complicated,.

In terms of the ECM ensembles very good support at least for De Bilt for an easterly flow over there from the 28th to the 2nd December before  more scatter.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Will winter finally be gracing Europe? I can say for down here its been remarkable with temperatures here helped by a fohn effect hitting 25c yesterday.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

certainly worth taking note of fergieweather said about no clear signals yet of what lies ahead,and they rarely look beyond 5-7 days .

But it be interesting to see what mogreps is showing after its updates today,after this morning runs from the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM mean downplaying the op's heights as expected at D10: post-14819-0-82568700-1416820669_thumb.g

Subtle differences to the other model's means but in  line with the sceuro block, Atlantic to the NW, Azores to the SE and another cut off low in Iberia.

The GEM mean also showing the UK caught in the middle of those competing forces at D10: post-14819-0-93440700-1416820801_thumb.p

The pattern getting repeated and at D12 on the GEM control we are back to square 1 with another LP system from the NW trying to undercut the block and probably failing, expectantly sending another upper level low S/SE into S.Europe:

post-14819-0-74943200-1416820929_thumb.p

The outcome has consistently said no to retrogression despite the models churning out some cold charts in FI, as the models tend to do in these scenarios. There are subtle differences with the setup as each attempt is made but whether it will be enough to alter the outcome we will have to wait and see. 

• Like 4

Posted

Both the GFS and GFS P improve their early output, the former has edged the pattern west and the latter looks even more favourable with a stronger push of positive heights nw towards Greenland.

The GFS still wants to push the troughing further ne and the GFS P after a good start takes longer to develop a shortwave to cut se through the UK.

Knife edge stuff really  ....

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM showing more promise tonight in its later reaches with an expanding low pressure to the south cutting off the southerly feed and encouraging the cold pool to be dragged westwards.

00Z ECM continues the theme of expanding the area of low pressure to the south of the UK which has the effect of propping up the ridge and allowing cold air to flood over the UK from europe in a stiff northeasterly. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Edited by 492
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS0z runs are glorious as we go into December, a raw and chilly start to December..

Rpgfs2167.gif

Rtavn2167.gif

• Like 9

Posted

The phrase dogs dinner comes to mind as the NWP is about to implode with so many different things going on.

Arctic high trying to force the jet south, PV, low pressure over southern Europe, Azores high moving ne, Russian high. Trying to work out the interplay between all these features is going to be difficult.

The GFS P would need two trigger shortwaves to get to an easterly, one is bad enough so theres a new category to add to the one below.

Emergency Code Red Warning!

• Like 5

Posted

Further to Steves post.

The UKMO because of that chunk of PV placed favourably to drop down would deliver the colder solution but its a bit more high risk and would take longer.

The ECM is quicker but you won't at that point tap into any significant cold. But thats still not  a shoe in, as ever with any easterly type set up its complicated.

Generally I prefer the easier solution and as long as heights remain low over northern Italy we might get another chance to develop something even colder later.

Of course others might feel lucky and want the UKMO to be the right trend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well having not jumped on and over-analysed every run of late, I've left that to others but I am rather pleased that things over the last three days have remained rather consistent as to to developments in Central and Eastern Europe.

On Friday night I stated the following

• The NH Jet continues to dive on a NW to SE axis and be positioned ever Southwards out in the Mid-Atlantic at that juncture. This aspect gets pushed back progressively in time over successive 12z runs. Plenty to play for yet and the predominantly cooler uppers set to occur over central and eastern Europe during the middle part of next week, pushes ever slowly westwards should also aid to stave off the Atlantic until nearer late November at this rate, so yes the STALEMATE continues unabated. :friends:  Incidentally this last aspect has been dropped by the pub run, no worries there unless this eventually becomes the new trend.  :nonono: 

For the original post in full, see below.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81842-model-output-discussion-1200-hrs-151114/?p=3073540

Two important things to take from this when investigating any changes in this viewpoint over the past three days are:

• The pub run new trend does NOT exist.  :clapping:
  •  
  • Also, my most respected posters are on-board with this look East option as well, albeit something to trust only 50:50 wise, given the timescales involved.  :friends:

Overall, I would suggest we get Tuesday/Wednesday's low pressure system out of the way firstly and then see if the stalemate continues or as I suspect, a PATTERN CHANGE eventually arrives in time for early December.

By clicking on each successive day on the link below, you can watch the evolution westwards of any colder uppers as the week progresses. The important thing here is NOT to focus on our tiny patch in the NH but focus on the continental landmass of Europe at all points North and East.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/forecastmaps?LANG=en&UP=0&R=0&MORE=1&DAY=0&MAPS=over&CONT=euro&LAND=euro&TOFD=tag

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS 06z run is more in line with my thoughts on the upcoming pattern. Compare the GFS control with this morning's:

post-14819-0-78172300-1416829041_thumb.p  post-14819-0-60026500-1416829049_thumb.p

I think Cohen's take on things is that we are moving into a period where the PV fires up the Atlantic. In that case I cannot see the block winning out in the next 2-3 weeks. I think the best we can get is that there is HP close to the south of the UK with maybe a N/S split. The mean at D10 suggests this is a possibility:

post-14819-0-21985200-1416829240_thumb.p

Not much change at D13: post-14819-0-82398700-1416829275_thumb.p D16 deja vu: post-14819-0-58712500-1416830070_thumb.p

So I am not really seeing a cold spell coming like others and looking at the GEFS at D14 the majority clearly favour the Atlantic taking at least temporary charge, with a small cluster showing heights to the N/NE: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=324. The UKMO update today sees no clear signal but more than likely:

"

UK Outlook for Monday 8 Dec 2014 to Monday 22 Dec 2014:

There is no strong signal in weather pattern during this period. However, the most likely scenario is for a continuation of unsettled and, at times, windy weather, especially in western parts of the UK, with eastern parts seeing the best of any dry weather. Temperatures are generally expected to be around, or a little above, average for the time of year. There is a chance of some overnight and morning frost and fog in places - this will be more likely across northern areas where there is also a chance of some snow on higher ground."

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS 06z run is more in line with my thoughts on the upcoming pattern. Compare the GFS control with this morning's:

attachicon.gifgens-0-1-252.png  attachicon.gifgens-0-1-264.png

I think Cohen's take on things is that we are moving into a period where the PV fires up the Atlantic. In that case I cannot see the block winning out in the next 2-3 weeks. I think the best we can get is that there is HP close to the south of the UK with maybe a N/S split. The mean at D10 suggests this is a possibility:

attachicon.gifgens-21-1-240.png

Not much change at D13: attachicon.gifgens-21-1-312.png D16 deja vu: attachicon.gifgens-21-1-384.png

So I am not really seeing a cold spell coming like others and looking at the GEFS at D14 the majority clearly favour the Atlantic taking at least temporary charge, with a small cluster showing heights to the N/NE: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=324. The UKMO update today sees no clear signal but more than likely:

"

There is no strong signal in weather pattern during this period. However, the most likely scenario is for a continuation of unsettled and, at times, windy weather, especially in western parts of the UK, with eastern parts seeing the best of any dry weather. Temperatures are generally expected to be around, or a little above, average for the time of year. There is a chance of some overnight and morning frost and fog in places - this will be more likely across northern areas where there is also a chance of some snow on higher ground."

In years gone by, you'd look at the GFS / ECM / UKMO charts and think to yourself - the chances of the pattern being flattened a la GFS 06Z are over 50%. However, the persistence of the Scandi high recently suggests to me that the chances are probably less than 50%. The Azores high linking with the Scandi high is fraught with danger isn't it - it can either build the Scandi up more, or it can drag it down.  The trend of the last 6 months suggests the former - of course, that is not a given.

• Like 1

Posted

The UKMO update today sees no clear signal but more than likely:

"

That Meto outlook looks suspiciously similar to what they've put out over the last few days - almost, if not exactly, the same wording.

• Like 2

Posted

Catcol - 100hpa strat charts are going to reflect the trop op chart and as such are only going to be approx 50% reliable. Strat charts above 50 hpa are more reliable at 10 day range but that drops off further out.

• Like 1

Posted

The first model out so far the GME looks okay, low heights over the southern Europe:

post-1206-0-00397500-1416843816_thumb.pn

It's not a major model but still nice to see.

The GFS normal  upto T72hrs is also encouraging more favourable troughing to the west of the UK  better tilted, so far my optimism is increasing. Lets hope I haven't jinxed things now!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The first model out so far the GME looks okay, low heights over the southern Europe:

attachicon.gifgme-0-132.png

It's not a major model but still nice to see.

The GFS normal  upto T72hrs is also encouraging more favourable troughing to the west of the UK  better tilted, so far my optimism is increasing. Lets hope I haven't jinxed things now!

yep so far so good nice heights into scandi nice deep low plunging se into europe could be a trigger low moment.........

but will the zonal rain be to much for the mighty scandi block.......

gfsnh-0-84.png?12

look how far south the low is getting dont see this very often no wonder the models are all over the place....

gfsnh-0-90.png?12

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/536898939413594112

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/536900875655340032

New update from JAMSTEC today shows more in the way of colder conditions in UK although does state majority of Europe to be warmer than average. That's the good news. Bad news or more slight sign of concern is ECM showing lack of split in PV than recent. All this found over on Twitter(how wonderful and useful internet can be at times) and again I could have read these wrong.

• Like 1