Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

The ECM monthly 500mb anomaly update. Enjoy.

T240 4th Dec

HP eastern Siberia -pole-northern - Scandinavia. Trough Canada to mid Atlantic and westwards into Pacific. HP eastern seaboard and trough western central  Europe. Surface zonal between low Greenland and HP to south with average temps UK.

T408 11th Dec.

HP eastern Siberia-pole-Scandinavia now stretching westward into Greenland. Canadian trough now disrupted with the western European trough exerting greater influence and now covering the UK and eastern Atlantic. Surface still zonal flow with low south of Greenland and shortwave disruptions eastern Atlantic. Average temps but above average Greenland.

T576 18th Dec

Now general area of HP eastern Siberia-pole-Scandinavia and encompassing Greenland and NE Canada. European trough moved slightly SE of UK. Surface  zonal flow with weakish trough south of Greenland and temps a tad below average but above in Greenland.

T768 26th Dec

Main areas of interest are HP north eastern Canada and trough UK and Europe. Surface zonal with HP cells north and south in Atlantic (relative to UK of course). Temps just below average.

Week one PV Russia but dissipates as time goes by until week three, hey, where's it gone?

Summary.

Fairly nondescript four weeks with a westerly airstream, interspersed with shortwave activity, and average temps.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very nice Northerly showing around the 8th on this mornings GFSP.

gfsnh-0-312.png?0

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

Yes, thanks Knocker, we were all waiting with baited breath for the ECM monthlies... Out of interest, is that your take on it or are you copying and pasting (including the summary) from elsewhere?

Models all look fine this morning, no major dramas. The theme of strong pressure anomalies in the pole building in the medium term continuing. It certainly doesn't look like we will benefit in the next 10 days or so, thereafter I wouldn't bet against it. Where Arctic heights are involved, the models are generally clueless, more so than normal even.

The AO now looks ( just like 2 weeks ago ) like only peaking at around +1 (despite the wacky positive forecast values, again just like before the previous weak peak) before heading negative (a likely common theme through the winter).

It's my take on it and as you know there isn't a biased bone in my body. :)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Re the ECM monthly - we only see the ens mean of 51 runs. Very difficult to avoid a zonal type chart past week 2. if looks like the trough becomes based around western Europe. That offers a number of possibilities. chilly and unsettled for the south would be my overall take weeks 3 and 4. and it's December so a sub zero upper flow off the continent on occasions would provide done wintry interest. Uppers will be average to below (0 to -1) through weeks 3 and 4. again, strip out the clusters that are potentially wrong .....

We will get a feel for the clusters from the meto update later.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, thanks Knocker, we were all waiting with baited breath for the ECM monthlies... Out of interest, is that your take on it or are you copying and pasting (including the summary) from elsewhere?

Models all look fine this morning, no major dramas. The theme of strong pressure anomalies in the pole building in the medium term continuing. It certainly doesn't look like we will benefit in the next 10 days or so, thereafter I wouldn't bet against it. Where Arctic heights are involved, the models are generally clueless, more so than normal even.

The AO now looks ( just like 2 weeks ago ) like only peaking at around +1 (despite the wacky positive forecast values, again just like before the previous weak peak) before heading negative (a likely common theme through the winter).

The AO from the (P) courtesy weatherbell.com

post-12275-0-20795600-1416900387_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Prod the ECM monthly - we only see the ens mean of 51 runs. Very difficult to avoid a zonal type chart past week 2. if looks like the trough becomes based around western Europe. That offers a number of possibilities. chilly and unsettled for the south would be my overall take weeks 3 and 4. and it's December so a sub zero upper flow off the continent on occasions would provide done wintry interest. Uppers will be average to below through weeks 3 and 4.

True enough b but I was assuming people would take for granted that detail would be flattened out as one disappears into the future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

A very nice Northerly showing around the 8th on this mornings GFSP.

gfsnh-0-312.png?0

Indeed something I pointed out yesterday in a post northerly possibly progression to a North easterly let's say something like 09/10.

As we see the models show this into a more realistic time frame expect the AO to slowly decline could be a -3 AO value showing within the next 14 days I suspect.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Regardless of what happens beyond, it looks like the UK is going to get it's first country wide taste of Winter, just as winter begins. 

Wed 3rd Dec ECM 

ECM0-192.GIF?25-12

GFS for 2nd Dec

gfs-1-180.png?0

GEM 3rd Dec

gem-1-198.png?00

and yesterdays JMA run wasn't a million miles away either...2nd Dec

J192-7.GIF?24-0

I didn't like the text summary of the ECM monthly update, zonal all the way seems a possibility but unlikely perhaps cool zonality from the North West is an option on the table, but equally so is a far flung Easterly with not much on the bones. 

I can't see this stale mate between pressure systems being resolved anytime soon, and a seasonable feel to things early in Dec is FAR better than where we were at that stage last year, who remembers the 5th Dec 2013 !!

here's a reminder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ewdjB2OeY

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Regardless of what happens beyond, it looks like the UK is going to get it's first country wide taste of Winter, just as winter begins. 

Wed 3rd Dec ECM 

ECM0-192.GIF?25-12

GFS for 2nd Dec

gfs-1-180.png?0

GEM 3rd Dec

gem-1-198.png?00

and yesterdays JMA run wasn't a million miles away either...2nd Dec

J192-7.GIF?24-0

I didn't like the text summary of the ECM monthly update, zonal all the way seems a possibility but unlikely perhaps cool zonality from the North West is an option on the table, but equally so is a far flung Easterly with not much on the bones. 

I can't see this stale mate between pressure systems being resolved anytime soon, and a seasonable feel to things early in Dec is FAR better than where we were at that stage last year, who remembers the 5th Dec 2013 !!

here's a reminder

Must agree incredible consistent runs now.

And once in place cold is a bugger to shift

• Like 5

Posted

Just a quick one but to place emphasis on what a few have said; be wary of 'reviews' of the EC 32 as the one on the previous page doesn't match with the full EC 32 which shows a very meridional pattern with a blocking high to the E and this, now, signals greater than avg pressure anoms over the UK well into week 2, so hence a more anticyclonic outlook from the EC32. Week 4 has extremely weak signals, even in the full set of data from the ECMWF website. As a result week 4 is like tossing a coin.

I know WeatherBell have the EC 32 and it's good information but it's not the complete set of data as per the ECMWF. This is important as at times there's more to 'things' than what the charts show just on WeatherBell and especially how people interpret it. When I can I'll comment on what the EC32 shows on Twitter but I reluctantly do this as sometimes trying to summarise it in 140 characters is taken out of context or not acknowledged right.

Cheers. Matt.

Thanks and noted. I know what you mean vis a vis twitter.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

With, as expected, the NH flow flattening after the meridional flow courtesy of Nuri, we have a series of pent up areas of HP moving west from upstream. The chart below highlights this:

post-14819-0-11298000-1416901083_thumb.p

So a distinct change from the last two weeks where we have mainly relied on the Azores/sceuro. As they drive west they are forcing the Canadian PV to perk up as well as having the potential to drive WAA north, depending on the phasing with the lower heights. Looks like lasting 7-10 days before the flow slows and we return to the more normal Pacific/Azores/Russian Highs. The GEFS have not got a handle on how this interaction will develop and the members although showing a propensity for at least a MLB offer numerous possible outcomes. D12 for example:  http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=6&ech=288. 

The ECM has a similar setup but with a neutral reaction between the heights and the PV, leading to a flatter flow, meaning we get a MLB over the UK:

post-14819-0-33638200-1416901645_thumb.p

Where as GEM has better phasing with the Atlantic ridge allowing the trigger shortwave low to only send some energy east, and we get a HLB at D10:

post-14819-0-03772800-1416901753_thumb.p

The GEFS are variants on these and include other possibilities, the P and Control providing a brief northerly at the end of FI, due to an Atlantic ridge. So maybe a window of opportunity from the trop to rejig the pattern for a UK cold shot. Too much uncertainty at the moment to be confident though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Apart from a brief unsettled spell (starting from today in some places) as Low Pressure to the West tries to move up against the block to the North-East, most of the models show High Pressure being mostly in control over the UK - whether this being from High Pressure to the West/South-West or from blocking Highs to the East or North-East. This being particularly notable on the ECMWF this morning as the Mid-Latitude Block sits over the UK to the end of the run. Some models, like the GFS, do show occasions where troughs out North-West will try to find a weak spot in the UK's Low Pressure Shield System â„¢ and try to destroy it (perhaps with the continued possibly of Lows dropping to our South-East).

Yesterday it was chilly Easterlies, but today the 00z GFS Parallel provides a fairly high-quality Northerly for the cold and snow fans in FI. Low Pressure out West drops down into Europe, along with a piece of the Vortex transferring to our North-East. Then see High Pressure amplifying to our West as a result. (Although having not read any of the model posts this morning, wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already posted a chart like this, so apologies if this is the case. Edit: just noticed Polar Maritime's post higher up showing something similar).

post-10703-0-48273100-1416902528_thumb.j

Doesn't last too long though as further Lows out West flatten it at the end of the run.

Overall, it looks as though battles between the Atlantic and High Pressure systems will continue, but with High Pressure generally staying quite close by/over the UK at times, some very November-esque conditions could be achieved with the continued likelihood of frosts and mist overnight. I suppose if the Atlantic does break through, though, then certainly a possible chance amplification could develop to the West, especially if the Vortex around the Canadian area weakens.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 4

Posted

A little deflated this morning with regards to this mornings output from a coldies perspective. The theme of the overnight runs is one of way too much energy in the Iceland vicinity. I am wondering if we are going to have a drier version of last winter with azores ridging and Icelandic low - a very positive NAO winter. This ties in with the Meto winter forecast. Just saying!

Posted

Just a quick one but to place emphasis on what a few have said; be wary of 'reviews' of the EC 32 as the one on the previous page doesn't match with the full EC 32 which shows a very meridional pattern with a blocking high to the E and this, now, signals greater than avg pressure anoms over the UK well into week 2, so hence a more anticyclonic outlook from the EC32. Week 4 has extremely weak signals, even in the full set of data from the ECMWF website. As a result week 4 is like tossing a coin.

I know WeatherBell have the EC 32 and it's good information but it's not the complete set of data as per the ECMWF. This is important as at times there's more to 'things' than what the charts show just on WeatherBell and especially how people interpret it. When I can I'll comment on what the EC32 shows on Twitter but I reluctantly do this as sometimes trying to summarise it in 140 characters is taken out of context or not acknowledged right.

Cheers. Matt.

Hi Matt, so in a nutshell, the latest ECM monthly hasn't got a clue beyond week two - would that be a fair assessment ?

Posted

Blizzard - it's the 25/11

Reliable charts don't even make winter yet !!!

Point taken BA but just my assessment on the overnighters. However, like you say, I shouldn't base the whole winter on one set of runs. What's your views on the updated 00z ECM ensembles ?

Posted

Hi Matt, so in a nutshell, the latest ECM monthly hasn't got a clue beyond week two - would that be a fair assessment ?

A fair assessment would be exactly what MH said.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

im bemused.... ok i didnt view the later runs yesterday, but this morning there appears to be some broad consensus between the gfs and ecm. and they both appear to signal the demise of the current eastern block as the azores high becomes displaced and ridges over the uk.

post-2797-0-81861000-1416908459_thumb.gi post-2797-0-88724700-1416908476_thumb.gi post-2797-0-75452800-1416908494_thumb.gi

and the gfs

post-2797-0-18477900-1416908529_thumb.gi post-2797-0-71032100-1416908544_thumb.gipost-2797-0-88105800-1416908558_thumb.gi post-2797-0-40880400-1416908577_thumb.gi

that to me looks like it would produce fairly normal average weather for this time of the year. some milder days, some chillier, rather quiet and often gloomy with some fog and frost.

but with the predicted demise of the eastern block IF these charts varify, then theres nothing especially cold* on the cards in the forseeable future.

thankfully though, and something that will probably get agreement on from all quarters, its looking mainly dry.

* by that i mean particually cold below the normal for the time of year.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3

Posted

the ao wants to go very neg 

ao.sprd2.gif

To my eye, those look to be split and variable plus that is yesterdays update. Be interesting to see todays but they are prone to large swings just like any forecast.
  • Like 1