Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

There seems to be reasonable agreement on one chunk of PV heading from Canada to northern Scandinavia (ECM and both GFS) but the eastern movement of the Iberian low on the GFS suites allows the second chunk to head east and then descend on the UK as the Russian high fights back. The ECM 00z at t240 could lead to a very different outcome, to my inexperienced eye, with a further trough possibly developing towards Iberia. Is there actually a mild solution for week 2 December out there at this stage?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not sure on the METOs take on the lastest set of models, but I think the same will apply as has done of late.  

Yes Ali, agreed and my take on it is a positive one. In that they suggest beyond D15 (ever so deep FI  :80: , given that this Saturday is where current FI rightfully begins) things may get less cold by then.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcph3vm8s#?tab=fiveDay

This indicates to me that beyond the milder spell this weekend, D6 right through to D14, as shown by UK Outlook for Sunday 30 Nov 2014 to Tuesday 9 Dec 2014 in the link above and by selecting the UK 6-30 days option, current indications are for a colder more settled picture with most probably a continental flow for most of England during much of this period.

This is very encouraging news for coldies and looks like becoming the new forecast trend. My confidence in this is slowly increasing as each set of runs unfolds, but I would still like to get past the middle of this week before jumping wholeheartedly on board with this cold outlook.  :good:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Again deep FI I know, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing this European Temperature Profile in 10 to 12 days time.

post-7183-0-52476300-1416925917_thumb.pn

Precisely what we need to see if we are to witness a colder than average December, if November doesn't fall below the CET mean, it will leave August as the only month below average.

As other posters have confirmed, some colder uppers are at least attempting to infiltrate much of central Europe and hopefully in time will spread further South and Westwards too. Kind of like I suggested a couple of days ago.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81842-model-output-discussion-1200-hrs-151114/?p=3074560

Here's hoping the NH Jet and WAA up into the North Pole continues to be shown in forthcoming outputs and we might just strike it lucky. A long way to go yet but December is a nearing and it should start off on a cold if dry note for most of us.  :cold:

• Like 7

Posted

Unfortunately it seems that the gfs 6z run has no support from it's esembles. Still it's looking better that last winter.

Luckily it has support from the 00z run...

• Like 9

Posted

You must keep on mind they haven't the expertise of the mod thread. You need cut them some slack.

They certainly haven't when it comes to LRF, as the last few years have shown. :wink: Other than that yes they are untouchable when it comes to the short to medium term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Model discussion please, there are relevant threads for the Met Office LRFs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

They certainly haven't when it comes to LRF, as the last few years have shown. :wink: Other than that yes they are untouchable when it comes to the short to medium term.

That could well be down to the simple fact that no-one stands out on LRFs? But, this thread is for model talk. And, as far as I can tell, all is still up in the air?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Not a bad 120 hour chart at all, heights further north and a chilly Easterly flow

gfsnh-0-120.png?12

• Like 1

Posted

Generally speaking though, it ends up pretty similar, with the push against the block continuing. I'm looking at the GFS and not the P...

Posted

Generally speaking though, it ends up pretty similar, with the push against the block continuing. I'm looking at the GFS and not the P...

The block is stronger on the 12z compared to the 6z though, it's trending the right way.

gfsnh-0-138.png?12gfsnh-2014112506-0-144.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

All we need is for some kind of trigger to open the gates to that super cold pool over Siberia. GFS parallel did it in superb style last night! I hope to see similar runs cropping up soon showing the same sort of thing too.

Really enjoying this interesting model watching at the moment! The hunt for cold continues...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

westward march from the 06z to the 12z on the 850's GFS(P)

06zgfsnh-1-138.png?6 12zgfsnh-1-132.png?12

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

Great 144 hours chart from the GFS P, even better than the GFs!

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Steve outlines the GFS struggles but I think all the models are playing catch up a bit here. The UKMO isn't the best of the output out to 120h (GFSp is looking good) but it still has a much stronger Arctic ridge forming than yesterdays run.

UKMO 30 Nov today/yesterday

UN120-21.GIF?25-17UN144-21.GIF?24-12

So it may be we will still see further positive developments tomorrow. At least a pattern change does look certain now as we get rid of the Atlantic trough (hopefully)

My hope is that any Acrtic high that forms can force low pressure into Scandi eventually as we finally get PV shifting East from Greenland but that is quite long term. Hard to see a decent Easterly with the jet over the top but if things keep improving re strength of the Arctic ridge that could definitely change as we could start to see more trough disruption through Scandi around day 7/8 then it would be game on.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

for a newbie, why are you getting excited?

why is everything going west good?

Retrogression hints at a East to West reverse zonal flow, which thereby encourages colder air to infiltrate our little island from the cold continent.

Baby steps at first though, so time will tell.

• Like 2