Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

The anomalies are not in agreement totally, NOAA being the odd one out to the idea of ridging coming in from either the S/SW or possibly more S/SE showing on EC-GFS. They have shown this idea for the last 2 possibly 3 days but NOAA is still not as keen shall I say up to last evening. There is on the last one a suggestion perhaps of slight ridging showing SW of the UK but not much in the +ve signal so far. The 8-14 shows neither.

see the relevant links below

NOAA

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

and

ECMWF-GFS

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the D10 means and the ECM op tease has no support (taken as given of late):

attachicon.gifgens-21-1-240.png attachicon.gifEDM1-240.GIF

I was also reading the Twitter and Matt also reiterated that the UKMO LR Winter forecast takes into account the possibility of an SSW, so I don't know what the strong signal is that is suggesting milder than average DJF? Should be interesting ECM/UKMO -v- the stratospheric undercurrent.

In one of the strat thread posts, Interitus linked to a MetO presentation where they said the lead time for an SSW forecast was just over two weeks on the GloSea5. I cannot see a winter forecast, that spans 3 months, having any stratospheric detail, other than broad brush QBO status.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

So IDO, its all looking poor no cold for more than 2 weeks, all LRF' & models say mild. -

Forgive me then your saying no cold for north of 2 weeks is AFTER 384 in the models.

Bearing in mind the current pattern for the next 4 days wasn't picked up to 192, & the developing one has just been picked up at 168 / 192 then I find your post remarkably pointless.

Why not go the whole hog & write the whole of December off now, or better still winter is over before its begun...

If I woke up as optimistic as you I would stay in bed all day.

PS the ECM mean is pretty good.

Sorry.

I meant no prolonged cold period, I am not precluding a toppling northerly or seasonal temps under a cool high. 

As for the ECM, I am not saying it is bad just the mean does not support the op's upper ridge anomaly:

post-14819-0-40618300-1416996935_thumb.p post-14819-0-24487800-1416996946_thumb.p

In one of the strat thread posts, Interitus linked to a MetO presentation where they said the lead time for an SSW forecast was just over two weeks on the GloSea5. I cannot see a winter forecast, that spans 3 months, having any stratospheric detail, other than broad brush QBO status.

I am sure it is like most model's algorithms  it weighs up the possibility of a SSW occurring this winter with respect to background signals and will build that risk factor within the forecast. It could be that it only sees that probability at say 30% and therefore the influence on the forecast is less than if one was to occur. My opinion is that I have to respect the Professional's output till it is proved wrong. Others on here believe an SSW is only a matter of time and that is another possibility.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A couple of pointers guys.

We all have somewhat different views/slants on the outputs so let's keep things polite and respectful please.

The other thing please keep views wrt Met office forecasts and twitter type stuff for other threads,there's plenty to choose from.

There's been some good on topic postings in here recently so let's try to keep things that way.

Thanks everyone. :)

• Like 5

Posted

What a beautiful split on the gfs parallel run!! Its like slicing a cake down the middle!! Gfs normal run has more of a northerly aswell next week!! This saga around 120 to 144 hours is not over yet! !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

fantastic model watching far more interesting either a nw flow n flow or easterly flow either way its rather miss leading when you have charts like this ECM0-240.GIF?26-12

ecm ok so not the day after tomorrow but certainly most of the above average temps have been mixed out.

look at all that cold east northeast west northwest massive arc of deep cold running around the arctic filtering from all angles we are about the only area on this latitude without cold from the chart i posted in any case this chart is most likely wrong even if it is the cold is and has started filtering into areas where sooner or later we will get colder.

how long will it last well id bet a bottom dollar we have more chance of sustained cold once the goods are delivered.

gefs
cold and cold enough for snow in a fair few places although not for the south perhaps on the hills but unlikely.
but certain for the northern half
gens-0-0-156.png?0
the gem although not the same time frame as the rest still cold
gem-1-240.png?00
nav gem
cold although not looking as good as the others
navgem-1-162.png?26-05
ukmo cold incoming will the azores high be our friend?

replace the higher heights over scandi with lower heights,
push the azores uk heights west or nw,
and a possible northerly then a possible north easterly and easterly depending how far the block can get nw or west.

small differences cause big changes!.

and i dont for the life of me,
see december being above or even slightly above average.

im going to go with what ive seen over the last few days from the models!......

its 50/50 whether its is a uk dominant high pressure or heights to our west,
perhaps beyond fi,

ridging towards greenland either way some nice seasonal charts being thrown up.

latest gfs run split vortex with movement from the eastside segment of the pv coming close to scandi but a gap right up the center of the arctic circle
pv is in tatters.
not the best run lots of things to be resolved but like i said small changes can have big impacts and nothing mild infact snow chances for northern maybe eastern areas has increased more so for the north.

gfsnh-1-192.png?6

Edited by Nick L
Removed deleted quote
  • Like 7

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmetd.html

Dewpoints have fallen over central Europe over the last couple of days inspite of a southerly component to the wind. The southerly component is modelled to increase over the next few days with warm air being drawn northwestwards form north Africa and the eastern Med. This warm flow is likely to be frustrated somewhat by the mountain barries of SE Europe and the Alps so some modification in likely closer to the surface. Although the days over parts of Europe might be quite pleasant the nights may be quite cold. As the atlantic low slides into Iberia and eventually takes shape in the Med the flow backs and colder drier air should be drawn westwards towards the UK. At the same time the expected elongated ridge across the middle of the country could provide a spell of significant frost and freezing fog.

Edited by 492
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A relative mild negative AO circa -2 driven by the arctic high, followed up by a sharp modality change of the PNA pattern from generally mild positive driving that cold snowy pattern like last year to a very steep negative PNA ridge -

The eastern us goes through a significant of warming which may bear fruit for the UK !

Regards

S

Yes, the -ve PNA marked by change of the pattern upstream over N America by beginning of December with a trough digging in across Pacific west bringing some welcome rainfall for parched California while we see a ridge of high pressure and a warm up build downstream over eastern USA. This ties in nicely with current phase 3 of the MJO which tends to favour troughing over western N America - the MJO has been steadily tracking east over last few weeks. Although the -ve PNA maybe temporary looking at yesterday's ENS outlook:

post-1052-0-06319100-1416997805_thumb.gi

But, the ridge warm up over eastern US will certainly help downstream for the UK while it lasts.

On to the 06z GFS op, looks keen to sink the mid-lat high, but what will than wave over eastern N America do when it works downstream?

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted

Do not write off a cold-bearing Scandi High if this chart sets the trend - many an Atlantic attack has been held back on charts like this by the time T0 is reached:

gfsnh-0-144.png?6

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Both the GFS op and P in FI sink the UK high and we get a cool modified westerly flow that should bring snow to the Scottish mountains and a more seasonal feel to the rest of us:

post-14819-0-22795200-1416999256_thumb.p post-14819-0-31583400-1416999264_thumb.p

A much flatter pattern, though some variation on the mix of PM and TM flow. I will probably ignore the GFS op as the D16 PV doesn't really fly with recent output:

post-14819-0-26628300-1416999359_thumb.p

The Parallel's NH profile is more what I am expecting: post-14819-0-75203900-1416999636_thumb.p

Though looking at the D16 GEFS the PV looks like its getting its act together and that gives little promise for a cold block to develop.

With regard to the D2-5 WAA from Scandi to the Arctic high, there are timing issues but by T150 all but 2-3 members have the ridge closed off by the uptick in the westerly flow from the Canadian PV lobe: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=6&ech=150. That is a continued downward trend unfortunately (usual caveats apply). Expecting more changes as to how the inbound Atlantic high in week 2 interacts with the lower heights in Iberia and the sceuro/Russian block, though either way more seasonal temps look likely to herald in the start of Winter:

post-14819-0-87310300-1417001286_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted

But if you run it on rjbw it becomes a cold bearing Azores high.

Charts  courtesy weatherbell

Yes of course that's what it is showing - but I'm not talking about what the models show exactly, I'm talking about how they might evolve further. I'm suggesting that, given the experience of recent months, the block to the east might turn out to be a little bit stronger, and the easterly flow might hang on a little bit longer and it might even turn into a Scandi block. Might being the important word! I appreciate the models are on the whole suggesting this idea will be wrong. But my concept of a stronger Scandi High is not impossible either - especially when cross-referenced to the NOAA 8-14 day http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php ?

My personal feeling, having seen years of Scandi Highs on the models, is that, when models forecast its collapse beyond T144, they only get it right 50% of the time. Having said that, the ECM is usually the first to not collapse it, so I would lower the odds at the moment unless it "comes on board".

But how about these charts - ECM T192 two days ago compared to ECM T144 today - that low pressure system to the north of Scandi is already showing signs of being held back:

ECH1-192.GIF?26-12

ECH1-144.GIF?26-12

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 6

Posted

While I admire the enthusiam and anticipation of what could be from charts over 180hrs the overwhelming trend is highlighted well by the GFS 6z run. The Jet Stream is poorly aligned for deep cold to arrive over the UK from next week in anything more than a glancing and shortlived blow from a brief Northerly before the expected large High to the SW which has thwarted many a Winter's hopes in the past rebuilds and topples across the UK to bring back less cold WSW winds to the UK and NW Europe as a whole. I hope I'm proved wrong but that is how I see it from current thinking I'm afraid. It is of course feasible that the High could well be UK based for a time with attendant frost and fog issues but with a Jet flow riding over the top of it's centre the overwhelming odds would favour pushing it South or SW.

There are a variety of wind directions on the 06z ensembles - quite a strong presence in the northerly quadrants too.

graphe_ens8_kms7.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Good afternoon all, having had a good look at all of our current charts and Data it does look to me that high pressure in unfavourable positions [for cold ]will be lurking around our shores .the only Straw being towards the end of the GFS runs Low pressure could move from west to east bringing in colder north atlantic sourced Air .but all this yet again well towards the 10 day range ,This does seem cruel to us cold weather watchers but we must be realistic and hope that mother nature can spring those surprises which she does so often do .The Hunt is on fellow posters lets enjoy the Chase , :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted

The latest GEFS anomaly has realigned the trough to the east (badly worded) and the Canadian trough so still looking at low pressure Greenland east and HP to the south.

Charts weatherbell

post-12275-0-06488100-1417004686_thumb.p

post-12275-0-68672100-1417004693_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at the gfs 6z run looks like a mild weekend coming up then we trend colder early part of next week. Then it looks as though we will end up under a cloudy drizzley high. Nothing overly cold or mild out into fi. One thing I've noticed in the last few weeks is the Cfs is wanting to bring in some very stormy and wet conditions from 2nd week of December hope this doesn't verify as it seems to have been a trend over last few weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

That's quite a run from the 06z GFS P this morning with its "Arctic slice" at 144 hrs and is a country mile away from the UKMO 00z.

gfs p..  ukmo..

The models generally have difficulties with high pressure in that region,although they are getting plenty of practice at the moment!

The 12z's just got a lot more interesting.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

An interesting comparison between the GFS (the old GFS model)and GSM (the GFS P) has been made on the Metcheck site which uses the current S Scandinavian high pressure as an example. The new GSM model looks like handling blocking to the East a bit better. I'll be ditching the GFS model from now on!

• Like 1