Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

airpressure.png

And its there again, let's keep watching this IMO as its the route to our 1st potential real cold blast. I know its GFS AND the 18z but you get the idea.

Looking forward to the next few days modelling....well actually the next 3 months

BFTP

Kind of a shame it's locked away in FI. But I must admit, it's nice to see some of the operational models continue the signal of Low Pressure digging down to the East/South-East of the UK with High Pressure amplifying to our West to help allow these cold Northerly or North-Westerly flows. It could definitely be something to keep an eye on should the models continue this idea, and especially if it makes it into a more reliable time-frame.

Along with the likelihood of High Pressure settling over the UK within a few days time (with Southern/South-Eastern areas probably being exposed to some kind of (slack) cool Easterly flow from the High Pressure system's Southern flank), it could help to make things feel seasonable.

Edit: Will certainly be interesting to see what sort of journeys the models lead us through along the path of Winter.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

18z ensembles the first to really show decent amplification in FI with a strong Atlantic ridge and WAA toward Greenland on a few runs.

Hoping this signal grows and we can get more than just a Northerly and toppler if the output goes that way.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

I fully understand your point, my point was that back then, we might not have seen that coming. That the logical evolution is not necessarily the actual outcome. Even the highly respected Met office are frequent victims of natures defiance of logic

It looks like we both understand one another's point of view and that can only be a good thing :good:

• Like 1

Posted

A quick glance at the GFS and P this morning can be summed up thus. From about T132 the Atlantic dominates. That is the strong HP from the SW which forces the jet north of the UK producing a north/south split. Temps revolving around the average but generally slightly below.

Charts courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-20238400-1417068035_thumb.p

post-12275-0-84455800-1417068041_thumb.p

post-12275-0-73748600-1417068049_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Model output at day 6

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?27-05

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

All pretty similar at this stage with the Azores high pushing eastwards towards the UK. Will the preceding polar maritime flow deliver some wintry potential? GFS/Parallel and UKMO bring 850s of around -4C through the UK, so definitely some snow over the high ground and maybe some hail and sleet briefly to over levels. The GEM barely drops 850s below 0C though. ECM is similar to the GFS/UKMO solution.

The GFS ensembles show high pressure holding (especially) over the south for a good few days whilst rain might push into the north west at times. Beyond that, the GFS continues its rather volatile output so it's again not worth looking beyond day 10 really even on the ensembles.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

A look at the GEFs anomalies.

At T240 Troughs Pacific, Canada aligned east and another pole aligned south eastern Europe. HP north America and Atlantic, By T312 much the same except the Canadian trough extends into Scandinavia and the one in eastern Europe disappears.

The upshot of this is the UK continuing under the influence of the Atlantic HP with the lows zipping north of the UK with the jet. Before anyone repeats the mantra that it is pointless looking at the charts later than 1800 today this situation will no doubt change but the key to unlocking the door of the time and direction of these changes I leave to higher authority. I will say there is no indication of cold conditions anytime soon.

Charts courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-96125000-1417071259_thumb.p

post-12275-0-85511800-1417071266_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFSP again this morning shows some wintry Pm shots from around the 8th.

gfsnh-0-276.png?0gfsnh-0-348.png?0gfsnh-2-276.png?0

• Like 2

Posted

I think the positioning of the high next week needs watching closely and may pave way to some colder weather. The FI in the ensembles shows quite a few members with WAA heading towards Greenland, breaking through the high latitude PV. I still think the models are struggling in dealing with the current strat warming/Azores high and a flip late next week to a Northen blocking isn't out of the question .

• Like 2

Posted

Still waiting for the long touted start of the zonal train...

There seems to be an appetite for an strong poleward-heading Eastern Pacific ridge towards the last week of December. This could be the main catylist to cold with a meridional airflow taking place upstream and with mid-lat high pressure likely to be centred somewhere between us and a thousand miles west, a decent Atlantic Warm Air Advection surge into Greenland has to be a possibility.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEFS are still playing with this pattern change in FI and I am expecting the evolution to swing back and forth over the next few days at least. The D13 GEFS are:

post-14819-0-13783800-1417072618_thumb.p

Similar to yesterday with respect to the pattern. Though a subtle change to a less progressive Atlantic. This morning's GEM stalls the second Atlantic high in the Atlantic, and this has little support amongst the GEFS at the moment:

post-14819-0-49450000-1417072825_thumb.p

It's a GEM trait. Its what some of us were hoping to see around the end of FI, once more of the lower heights had drained off the Greenland region. Some of the GEFS do this around D16 (six on the 0z) so this would be promising for trop up-warming to the strat.

ECM is like the GFS with at D10 the third Atlantic high entering stage left, rather than GEM's stalling high: post-14819-0-60179800-1417073174_thumb.g

So a settled period especially for the south on this morning's GFS Op; mild till the end of Monday, cooler as the cold front heads through with a band of rain, then dry through till D15 for down here. The GFS P sinks the high during the run and around D10 it is unsettled for most with two shots of cold air, one PM and the other AM. These are the two of the main clusters in the GEFS FI with the more amplified Atlantic ridge the other cluster. Lets see how this develops.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted

Gefs in week 2 are a 'dogs dinner'. Too many options and too large a spread across the NH to make a stab at a broad solution.

That means anyone saying they know what will happen week 2 is 'avin a laugh'

something is defo brewing mate!!! Personally i dont even think the models are handling next Tuesday/Wednesday well at the moment! ! I feel there are still changes to come with maybe a bit more westward correction!! Another thing is there a chance of snow aswell next Wednesday as the front coming in from the north west hits the cool dry air from the east? One thing for sure is its gone feel much colder than we have been use to!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy winters

But is it actually cool dry air from the east? I would have thought snow unlikely given the temp forecast.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

Knocker we need to get the cold in first. The rest will follow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

something is defo brewing mate!!! Personally i dont even think the models are handling next Tuesday/Wednesday well at the moment! ! I feel there are still changes to come with maybe a bit more westward correction!! Another thing is there a chance of snow aswell next Wednesday as the front coming in from the north west hits the cool dry air from the east? One thing for sure is its gone feel much colder than we have been use to!

Morning, as I said last night ,that Azores high is the fly in the ointment, we need that to retrogress somewhat and amplify in midAtlantic and then there would be some fun and games. Models are still toying with that idea in a round about fashion, and nothing is nailed at all beyond this coming weekend.... :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

But is it actually cool dry air from the east? I would have thought snow unlikely given the temp forecast.

can i ask in a polite manner who are you replying to ?

and i suspect your right not cold enough yet from the east for snow as i said yet.

its looking pretty much as the charts where showing yesterday but the consistent trend over all shows the vortex over the siberian side getting bigger because you can see it draining west to east.

we enjoy sunny fresh frosty wintry days,

some areas where fog will become a feature could be rather cold.

very seasonal and im starting to see the gaps where pressure could build north west greenland heights low pressure dominating scandi area so heights into scandi dont look as likely as the vortex will be to close in this area.

i think our first blast of cold will be nw then as the vortex cracks on with its holiday to siberia we the start to see areas opening up for blocking to our north or northwest then the next cold outbreak could well be arctic air then a siberian north easter.

its not even winter yet and ive seen this type of pattern in the 80s.

slow burner this one 

• Like 3

Posted

No, it's cool dry air from the West:

gfs-6-138.png?0

In all honesty the outlook this morning is two things

1 - Changeable

2 - Extremely uncertain (looks like our friend Shannon is here to stay for a while longer yet, which is not surprising given the present setup)

SK

• Like 4

Posted

The three main models means at D10:

post-14819-0-77554700-1417078195_thumb.p post-14819-0-50033200-1417078205_thumb.g post-14819-0-13845600-1417078214_thumb.p

Broad pattern similar, though as you would expect the GEFS to be flatter, due to their progressive Atlantic bias. The GEM mean not supportive of its op (again) and the control is more in line with the ECM & GFS ops.

The ECM at D10 remains very high confidence for an Atlantic high:

post-14819-0-11666200-1417078458_thumb.g

The D8-10 mean anomaly for the GFS/ECM comparison:

post-14819-0-45220000-1417078676_thumb.g

Subtle differences but the overall pattern mirrored.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

That was actually the point I was attempting to make. Plus the humidity is reasonable high.

Given NOAA's latest updates....I think some of this mornings comments on this forum regarding medium term flows are really irrelevant.

Quote:

USED THE MOST RECENT EUROPEAN CENTRE ENSEMBLE MEAN AS A SYNOPTIC

BASE AT THE MEDIUM RANGE. NONE OF THE ENSEMBLE SUITES OF THE PAST

FEW DAYS HAVE PROVEN PARTICULARLY ACCURATE OR STABLE, WITH THE

ECENS MEAN THE LEAST VOLATILE. THE OPERATIONAL MODELS, OF COURSE,

HAVE BEEN EVEN MORE SUBJECT TO THE WHIPLASH CHANGES THAT HAVE COME

WITH EACH NEW DATA CYCLE.

Shannon Entropy continues :wallbash:

Edited by Shunter
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

im abit bemused by some referrances to 'mild' and 'zonal train' that have been made in the last 12 hours or so.

i dont think anyones touted a mild, zonal, atlantic regime the sort that we has a few weeks ago. theres not much mild to be had at all, but all models are pointing to a high pressure dominated regime, mid latitude high pressure at that.

to me the outlook into early december is largely quiet, largely dry, largely overcast, and largely average temps. and theres as much chance of a mild spell in fi as there is a cold one, but as things stand theres little chance of either.

• Like 8

Posted

Given NOAA's latest updates....I think some of this mornings comments on this forum regarding medium term flows are really irrelevant.

Quote:

Hi

The NOAA discussion was based on the 0z and 06z from yesterday and models have moved on from then. I would agree 24 hours ago there was more uncertainty due to the probable pattern change. Also the uncertainty related to a possible ridge in the west of the conus in the 8-14 day period. Downstream impact on the UK would be later in that period. Therefore I still believe the next 10 days show high confidence for our region, though surface conditions are less easy to predict with plenty of potential for fog, frost, sun, etc.

• Like 1

Posted

Quote:

Why should comments made in a very subjective discussion forum be deemed irrelevant. The reasoning or conclusion may be incorrect but to incorporate the thread without them would leave the thread a bit threadbare, so to speak. If sticking to the short term is the order of the one might just as well tune into the METO, the creme dela creme.

• Like 1