Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

Now Tony and I have finished the winter forecast, I can start looking at the charts again.We need the Atlantic to come in enough so that any amplification gets in around the back. It is unlikely to be just yet, by my reckoning that scenario starts to evolve around the middle third of December.

Does anyone want to suggest what the next scenario following on from these ensembles would be?

attachicon.gifget_orig_img.gif

Hmmm.

That would be the heights over north east canada joining up with the scandi heights and the low dropping into central southern Europe - Result = Easterly mid December. Am I correct ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Now Tony and I have finished the winter forecast, I can start looking at the charts again.We need the Atlantic to come in enough so that any amplification gets in around the back. It is unlikely to be just yet, by my reckoning that scenario starts to evolve around the middle third of December.

Does anyone want to suggest what the next scenario following on from these ensembles would be?

attachicon.gifget_orig_img.gif

Hmmm.

Chiono I may barking up the wrong tree here , in distribution of low and high pressure terms would be , I would say the Greenland trough pushing South of the uk , the Azores high drifting up towards Greenland , and the Scandi high driving North And west , pushing into the polar regions but linking up with the sister high pressure over Greenland , with the main trough over Southern Europe becming cut off ??? Please tell me how I'm doing there ! Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yet another run suggesting a lovely area of high pressure over the UK..

Rtavn2167.gif

Parallel is even better..

Rpgfs2167.gif

• Like 5

Posted

Right at the end of the PGFS 18Z, a fair representation of the Z500 anomalies presented with the OPI winter forecast.

GMbLtbH.jpg?1  gfs-12-384_fkp5.png

• Like 7

Posted

No one wants to discuss the 00z runs? I'm not surprised. It is all rather grim right now for coldies.

That's an odd post, because my eyes have been drawn to the Arctic high coming into view on both the GFS and UKMO this morning.

In fact I'd say they're the most promising runs I'd seen fit several days now.

* typically the GEM has gone belly up though!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

No one wants to discuss the 00z runs? I'm not surprised. It is all rather grim right now for coldies. 

The 00z runs show some exciting developments I think?

UN144-21.GIF?24-06gfsnh-0-138.png?0

Signs the block is finally getting the upper hand with an interesting NH split. That should very likely lead to an Easterly further down the line.

Probably the most promising output for sometime IMO but we wil see what others make of it and who knows if the trend will continue through the day.

EDIT:

JohnP beat me to it.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Nice little bit of Arctic ridging going on

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?24-06

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

All three show this, but again given a very unfavourable upstream pattern, our wait for cold will continue for now. 

Best run so far is the GFS parallel

gfs-0-144.png?0

More of an easterly chance here which shows up later in the run as the Azores high has more gusto and develops a fresh and cool easterly on it's southern flank.

gfs-0-192.png?0

Still thinking a quiet frosty spell will be the more likely at this present time than true snow bringing cold.

GFS ens show some transient ridging into the south before the later stages bring us back to square one, Atlantic/UK trough and a ridge to our east.

gensnh-21-1-216.png?0

gensnh-21-1-336.png?0

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

looks like improvements on the GFS Op, P, Control and the ECM op on the 00Z. not bad progress for the start of the week - look at the GEFS suite, a noticeable increase in colder ones on any of the previous days. Lets portray as it is guys, not as we wish it to be!

ens for holland

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2014112400/graphe3_1000_494_76___.gif

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 3

Posted

??? 00z suite the most encouraging of the year to my eyes. Great viewing compared to recent 00z outputs.

As for the the GFS control, an interesting ending... !

post-5114-0-28516000-1416811934_thumb.pn

post-5114-0-55978200-1416811939_thumb.pn

post-5114-0-74535100-1416811946_thumb.pn

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Nice little bit of Arctic ridging going on

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?24-06

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

All three show this, but again given a very unfavourable upstream pattern, our wait for cold will continue for now. 

Best run so far is the GFS parallel

gfs-0-144.png?0

More of an easterly chance here which shows up later in the run as the Azores high has more gusto and develops a fresh and cool easterly on it's southern flank.

gfs-0-192.png?0

Still thinking a quiet frosty spell will be the more likely at this present time than true snow bringing cold.

GFS ens show some transient ridging into the south before the later stages bring us back to square one, Atlantic/UK trough and a ridge to our east.

gensnh-21-1-216.png?0

gensnh-21-1-336.png?0

Wouldn't say square one the PV lobe nw is a whole lot weaker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The control and op are total outliers at the end of FI according to the London temp graphs (Control also on uppers and pressure):

post-14819-0-69531500-1416813809_thumb.g

So at the moment one to watch as the hi-res may have spotted something. GEM as expected is back on track with a similar run to the GFS and ECM. All push some WAA towards the Arctic this week but all succumb to the Canadian vortex sending low heights over the MLB near the UK and blocking off anything developing further.

D8: post-14819-0-00948700-1416814167_thumb.p  post-14819-0-96786700-1416814179_thumb.p

ECM does it's usual tease at D10: post-14819-0-92161500-1416814259_thumb.g

Though that has some merit within the pattern, it is probably overdoing the heights per usual. 

The mean GEFS chart for 7th December just suggests the repeating pattern with the three players jockeying for positions leaving the UK in no mans land:

post-14819-0-81176300-1416814420_thumb.p

The Azores and sceuro high look like keeping the Atlantic to our north so although no real cold, at least it will be dry and seasonal. How long this pattern continues for is anybodies guess as an SSW before next year is finely balanced we probably need the trop pattern to change for UK cold in the medium term.

• Like 1

Posted

Before we get to the chilly easterly perhaps a chance for pleasant weekend with this lovely SE fetch.. Nick Sussex  could even indulge in country walks.According to the GFS and P.

Charts courtesy weatherbell.com

post-12275-0-09782000-1416814771_thumb.p

post-12275-0-06012400-1416814848_thumb.p

post-12275-0-03535800-1416814867_thumb.p

post-12275-0-36081500-1416814895_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Not many gefs members you wouldn't take for the 8/12

Things beginning to take shape. Possibility of a coldiah snap witiin next two weeks aswell.

The fi ecm continues to get the Asian vortex South of the Siberian high which has morphed into a general Arctic high in the locale. That would provide plenty of ammunition should a - AO appear ............

I'm not entirely with you here.i think these runs give cause for optimism, and given the interest in strat changes and the GEM yesterday add to the sense that something may be coming, but it seems a push at this point to suggest that things are shaping up for a cold spell within the next 2 weeks. We need the ECM ens first and more GEFS backing before things start gathering pace. Remember we had a larger amount of cross model support a few weeks for a cold spell about now; we're just at the beginning of stage 1! Still, better there than not.

Maybe just being pedantic and overly cautious. Justifiable optimism for now

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1

Posted

Quite a difference ECM vs GFS in the 8-10 day H500 00z comparison this morning over Europe. But what is encouraging, from a cold/wintry down the line aspect, is the arctic high building - which will help shunt cold air south across NE Europe.

attachicon.gifgfsec_00.gif

The cross polar +ve height anomaly was already a feature on the CPC 8-14 day H500 chart issued last night, with two distinct upper vortices over N Canada and Siberia:

attachicon.gifCPC814day_03.gif

But I think caution as the GEFS isn't quite as bullish with this.

post-12275-0-10074100-1416817551_thumb.p

post-12275-0-75995200-1416817558_thumb.p

Posted

Quite a difference ECM vs GFS in the 8-10 day H500 00z comparison this morning over Europe. But what is encouraging, from a cold/wintry down the line aspect, is the arctic high building - which will help shunt cold air south across NE Europe.

attachicon.gifgfsec_00.gif

The cross polar +ve height anomaly was already a feature on the CPC 8-14 day H500 chart issued last night, with two distinct upper vortices over N Canada and Siberia:

attachicon.gifCPC814day_03.gif

Yes I never have a great deal of faith in the anomaly charts when they do not show consistency with themselves and one another.

The difference between them, ec-gfs this morning is quite large. EC builds the ridge back into the UK from the E/N while GFS builds it in from another source, S/W from the Atlantic, bit like chalk and cheese. NOAA has been consistent with its pattern, shown by Nick in the post above. I tend to accept its charts more than EC-GFS which do seem more changeable shall we say. If NOAA shows its similar pattern this evening then probably the EC-GFS outputs may revert back. Not too much confidence in any suggested change at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted

certainly worth taking note of fergieweather said about no clear signals yet of what lies ahead,and they rarely look beyond 5-7 days .

• Like 5

Posted

I quite like the ECM tonight. It should bring some nice seasonal weather with frost and fog - always a good precursor to a cold outbreak. I still think the 120 to 144hr time period has some resolving to do. This applies to all the models as I don't believe any of them will have the south east diving atlantic trough modelled correctly. They will not get to grips with the track of this low until it comes in to the 72 to 96hr range. We can see by the JMA and GEM just how negative this low tilts can have major ramifications thereafter.

Just going on from my post last night and I am very happy with this mornings output with regards to something colder around the corner. Every run I have seen this morning has adjusted the atlantic trough at 96hrs to a much more favourable negative tilt which means the azores high has less influence thereafter and the air is sourced from the continent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The operational models do show some amusing scenarios for cold conditions this morning.

For the first few days, though, the models are in general agreement for this High Pressure spell to break down from the West or South-West around mid-week onwards as Low Pressure to the West tries to bump up against the block to our East. This of which will usher in spells of rainy/showery weather for places, but with the West likely to see the most unsettled conditions. This will probably just be temporary, however, as the trough slips to the South of the UK along with the Azores ridge extending towards us. But the sinking trough looks as though it will take a vacation over around the Spain or Italy area. Some models such as the 00Z ECMWF and 00Z GFS Paralell have the trough showing quite a negative tilt as it slips South/South-East underneath the block to our East or North-East. As some have mentioned on here in the past, this is often good for seeing undercutting opportunities and to help draw in an Easterly feed. And interestingly, the GFS Parelell and the ECMWF have the blocking to the North-East putting up a strong fight against the Atlantic right to the end of the run. It does however get help from the Azores High as this links up with the block over Scandinavia and builds to the North with low heights to the South/South-East of the UK. A chance of some wintry showers in the form of rain, sleet, hail or possibly hill snow (most especially towards Eastern coasts) as the Easterly feed draws in increasingly colder 850 hPa temperatures towards the 240 hour mark of both the ECMWF and GFS Parelell runs.

(Quick example from ECMWF at 240 hours)

post-10703-0-52006100-1416816536_thumb.jpost-10703-0-39670000-1416816554_thumb.j

The GEM, though, generally keeps the UK under influence from the Azores High with generally settled conditions, and while the trough to the West does show a bit of a negative tilt to it before it slips to the South/South-East, the UK doesn't quite pull in an authentic Easterly flow. Probably also thanks to the fact the blocking to East gets flattened somewhat by vigorous Atlantic Lows to the North/North-West of the UK.

The non-Parelell GFS is only really one of the beyond-144-hour models that shows the Atlantic breaking through from the West with Westerly winds returning for the UK. But even this doesn't last long as High Pressure amplifies to the West and transfers towards Scandinavia in response to Lows dropping down towards mainland Europe.

While the models do show some varying scenarios, what does seem evident is that some kind of blocking to the East or North-East still seems quite possible and could still prove to be a tough fighter against the Atlantic. This could be particularly true if the Azores High Pressure system steps in and helps deflect Atlantic Lows away from us, or just keep 'em to our North/North-West.

The 00Z ECMWF ensemble mean generally keeps the worst of the cyclonic conditions away to the North-West, but not much confidence at all that a Greenland High will develop sometime soon. (Also backed by what many of the operational models show this morning with, again, High Pressure more likely to the East or North-East of the UK, possibly with us being influenced by the Azores High at times).

post-10703-0-69119300-1416818359_thumb.jpost-10703-0-99147300-1416818378_thumb.j

(would add some extra charts, but really should be working now).

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 7