Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Not often the 06z and 12z GFS ops churn out a very similar evolution out at T+360 right towards the end of the run, I know it's 6 hrs difference, but both have a strong cold Nly flow on Sat 13/12 as the flow amplifies:

06z T+360

attachicon.gifgfs06z_360.png

12z T+360

attachicon.gifgfs12z_360.png

Sheer coincidence at that range, but what's possible if we see a wave amplify and slow upstream over Ern N America, provided we see the core of low heights shift off Greenland more.

That's an ugly storm surge potential chart. Cold is nice, but North Sea flooding not so. I hope the evolution is somewhat different.

• Like 1

Posted

12Z UKMO expands the low to the south until end of the run at T+144 holding the southern portion of the country in a NE'ly. Consequently the ridge is held further north. Looking up wind it looks like it could get pretty cold fairly soon with lower dewpoints already into parts of the low countries.

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=6&carte=1021

Your link seems to go to a chart for Friday 6th June 2014!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The UKMO 12z is a major upgrade for a cold outlook imo. For once I suggest people view this on the Europe view as opposed to the northern hemisphere one. Now compare this run with yesterdays 12z and the first thing you will notice is the air still comes in from the continent in todays run, whereas yesterday, the theme was for the azores ridge to be dominant. The change brought about by today's run is the low over southern Europe being a bigger player than previously anticipated - The importance of which Carinthian has been at pains to point out these last couple of days. This draw from Europe should make it easier for the high in our locale to retrogress and join forces with the high off the eastern seaboard and then hopefully complete the retrogression and bring our northerly.

Yes Blizzard, maybe too much attention to whats going on further field and into he longer term outlook. Certainly I am encouraged in the shorter latest UKMO 12z output and as you say a better chance shown for the High to retrogress for a colder outlook. We will have our latest view on developments in the morning when I get the portal numerical predictions for Central Europe with a added insight for the UK.

C

• Like 6

Posted

The extended GEFS anomolys falling in line closer to ecm re how far into europe the troughing gets in our vicinity. that means not as far south.  also, as early as day 3/4, the ecm is at odds with gfsp re heights over scandi.  not sure that will make a big difference in the mid range butit could change the movement of the arctic high re fi

• Like 1

Posted

That's an ugly storm surge potential chart. Cold is nice, but North Sea flooding not so. I hope the evolution is somewhat different.

Indeed, striking similarity with the chart from last year, when major flooding issues were concern for here and the Low countries.

2013  btLejgs.png

GFS forecast chart.

gfs-0-360_ufj3.png

• Like 2

Posted

Major amplification on the ECM tonight with a connection opening to the arctic High. This would sure accelerate the feedback processes..if it happened :wink:

ECH1-168.GIF?28-0

Yes, very interesting chart! Though we do know how the ECM is prone to amplification sometimes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well after a very mild weekend, it will feel cold next week! Maybe some possible wintry showers in the far north for a time too. Later next week, the Azores High will bring a return to settled weather and it will feel milder again. No signs of any widespread snow in the 0-14 day range

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Think you need to take a look at the ECM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ECM has been all over the place recently at 168+ . Lets see if its still there tomorrow. I doubt the GFS will be far off

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

BANK loving this chart from the ecm -6 / -8 850s across the majority of the UK and Surely Snow for a few

ECM0-192.GIF?28-0

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Yes Blizzard, maybe too much attention to whats going on further field and into he longer term outlook. Certainly I am encouraged in the shorter latest UKMO 12z output and as you say a better chance shown for the High to retrogress for a colder outlook. We will have our latest view on developments in the morning when I get the portal numerical predictions for Central Europe with a added insight for the UK.

C

Unfortunately UKMO has a bias for lowering heights on the eastern seaboard and therefore creating the impression that heights will build towards Greenland:

post-14819-0-96656800-1417198697_thumb.p

So when I see the T144 chart I have a look at the GFS ensembles to test it; there is practically no support. In the circumstances I expect it to resolve in later runs towards the GFS:

post-14819-0-39645900-1417198826_thumb.p

The ECM also has a tendency to model a small feature north of the Azores, an upper level low, that tends to act as a block so heights build north over the top of it. So by T168 there is a clear bias for height rises towards Greenland:

D6: post-14819-0-83806300-1417199988_thumb.p D7: post-14819-0-56538300-1417200004_thumb.p

A few of the GEFS members have this feature but only two are even close to amplifying like the ECM and both are rather poor relatives in comparison. 

IMO with the Greenland PV lobe still potent around D7 then any heights will just topple from the next wave of energy. I think we need to wait till after D13. Mid December still remains of interest but the setup is very fluid at the moment as to where the heights will build.

• Like 2

Posted

Anyway, I see the ecm has pulled one from the top shelf this evening. Not impossible but I suggest it's showing what could happen with more amplification than we will probably get.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove off topic reverence.
  • Like 7

Posted

Yes Blizzard, maybe too much attention to whats going on further field and into he longer term outlook. Certainly I am encouraged in the shorter latest UKMO 12z output and as you say a better chance shown for the High to retrogress for a colder outlook. We will have our latest view on developments in the morning when I get the portal numerical predictions for Central Europe with a added insight for the UK.C

Hi Carinthian, yes, quite a change short term that has major ramifications down the line as can be seen with tonight's ECM op which agrees with the UKMO op. I always like it when these two models agree. Look forward to your update tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

The UKMO 12z is a major upgrade for a cold outlook imo. For once I suggest people view this on the Europe view as opposed to the northern hemisphere one. Now compare this run with yesterdays 12z and the first thing you will notice is the air still comes in from the continent in todays run, whereas yesterday, the theme was for the azores ridge to be dominant. The change brought about by today's run is the low over southern Europe being a bigger player than previously anticipated - The importance of which Carinthian has been at pains to point out these last couple of days. This draw from Europe should make it easier for the high in our locale to retrogress and join forces with the high off the eastern seaboard and then hopefully complete the retrogression and bring our northerly.

Well as we all know now, following on from my post earlier, the 12z ECM op agrees with the UKMO 12z and it is these changes in the T96 period that brings the massive changes later on.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

deep f1  is looking  good  for the coldies at the  moment  we  could  see  some cold weather  about after  DEC 12  it might change  and  it will!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi Carinthian, yes, quite a change short term that has major ramifications down the line as can be seen with tonight's ECM op which agrees with the UKMO op. I always like it when these two models agree. Look forward to your update tomorrow.

Yes Blizzard, UKMO AND ECM latest numericals look in tandum. So quite an upgrade to a colder scenario next week especially after such a mild flow over the UK and France this weekend.

Should have an update tomorrow morning .

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Major amplification on the ECM tonight with a connection opening to the arctic High. This would sure accelerate the feedback processes..if it happened :wink:

ECH1-168.GIF?28-0

We know that ECM is prone to over amplification but this is exactly the type of evolution we are looking for further down the road to lead us to the important next step to a colder pattern - and with wave breaking feedbacks in the atlantic sector.

To illustrate this further, see how at day 10 (if we assume at face value the ECM operational verified) the heights are building again over Scandinavia.

ECH1-240.GIF?28-0

Pattern re-cycle following the transfer of energy across the pole as modelled this week - and much as I mentioned in my post a day or two back :)

Its a case of if/when this happens. Very arguably not when ECM suggests here, but it does show the template for the way ahead as we go through December.

Interesting ECM as you say Tamara and certainly what we need to see happening as a precursor to where us coldies want to be come months end.

• Like 1