Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

ECM

ECH1-144.GIF?29-12

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?29-05

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

Just differences in amplification in the Atlantic, I suspect the landing zone will be between the ECM and GFS(P), so enough to bring another polar maritime airmass through the UK by the 7th December.

Beyond this, as the ECM shows, rinse and repeat sounds like a sensible option for now.

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry knocker but surely that Icelandic 'vortex' is just a trough extension from the Canadian which will lose its identity over a few days?

We'll have to agree to differ blue. To me at any rate following the sequence from T96 shows the movement of the Russian 'vortex'. True it does lose it's identity.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The second Atlantic high due in a weeks time was over amplified on last night's ECM. This morning corrections towards the GFS:

post-14819-0-63858400-1417245137_thumb.g  post-14819-0-62148000-1417245147_thumb.g

Right idea but too early due to the continued progress of the Canadian PV's journey east. It was very likely a toppler at best:

post-14819-0-20472400-1417245275_thumb.p

Again at D10 with the third Atlantic High ECM amplifies that but this time the Canadian lobe is much reduced: post-14819-0-09385700-1417245403_thumb.g

I can see the potential for an Atlantic ridge building after D10 but bearing in mind the MO of D10 ECM charts I have little faith at this time scale, as a downgrade to a toppler usually follows. GEM does its own thing and blocks the PV transfer around D7 and builds heights over Scandi with the Canadian/Greenland lobe remaining in situ; again on its own:

post-14819-0-44288100-1417245949_thumb.p

GFS have changed (again) the way they model the Canadian PV, they send it east and it recycles back to Greenland/Iceland/Pole via Russia, as Knocker suggests in a previous post:

Op: post-14819-0-73309000-1417246093_thumb.p  P: post-14819-0-11943300-1417246136_thumb.p C: post-14819-0-58791200-1417246180_thumb.p

As others have said the GEFS have been very volatile with respect to the Arctic high developments so hopefully this suite does not set a trend as its not a pretty development. So uncertainty in the bigger picture but, ignoring the GEM, relatively good agreement between the other models in our quadrant for the next 10 days or so, and I assume that the GFS and ECM will meet somewhere in the middle re amplification.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The second Atlantic high due in a weeks time was over amplified on last night's ECM. This morning corrections towards the GFS:

attachicon.gifECM1-168.gif  attachicon.gifECM1-168 (1).gif

Right idea but too early due to the continued progress of the Canadian PV's journey east. It was very likely a toppler at best:

attachicon.gifECH1-192.png

Again at D10 with the third Atlantic High ECM amplifies that but this time the Canadian lobe is much reduced: attachicon.gifECH1-240.gif

I can see the potential for an Atlantic ridge building after D10 but bearing in mind the MO of D10 ECM charts I have little faith at this time scale, as a downgrade to a toppler usually follows. GEM does its own thing and blocks the PV transfer around D7 and builds heights over Scandi with the Canadian/Greenland lobe remaining in situ; again on its own:

attachicon.gifgemnh-0-240.png

GFS have changed (again) the way they model the Canadian PV, they send it east and it recycles back to Greenland/Iceland/Pole via Russia, as Knocker suggests in a previous post:

Op: attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-264.png  P: attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-264 (1).png C: attachicon.gifgensnh-0-1-264.png

As others have said the GEFS have been very volatile with respect to the Arctic high developments so hopefully this suite does not set a trend as its not a pretty development. So uncertainty in the bigger picture but, ignoring the GEM, relatively good agreement between the other models in our quadrant and I assume that the GFS and ECM will meet somewhere in the middle re amplification.

either way as ba suggest nothing mild at all and im just pleased to see seasonal not really bothered whether it snows or not yet its the developements that matter and my its been the most interesting model watch since winter 4 years ago edge of ya seat stuff lots of possibles in the mix but not no zonal at all great stuff.

• Like 2

Posted

Behind the shorter term uncertainty a trend now to move the PV east looks likely, in terms of the amplification issues over the ne USA the GFS and GFS P are slightly more amplified this morning, the ECM tones down its amplification but still is more amplified than the former two with the UKMO the most amplified at the T144hrs mark.

There is however room for further changes over the USA given comments by NCEP:

...MODEL PREFERENCES/UNCERTAINTY ASSESSMENT...
THE PREVAILING FAST-ZONAL WESTERLY FLOW IS GENERALLY HANDLED BY
THE ECENS...GEFS AND NAEFS AS A SERIES OF LOW-AMPLITUDE WAVES FROM
THE NORTH CENTRAL CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TO THE GREAT LAKES THIS
MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD. THE KEY FEATURE OF THE FLOW IS THE RATHER
EXPANSIVE VERTICAL STRUCTURE OF THE TROUGH MIGRATING ACROSS THE
WEST COAST---DAY 3-4. THE SERIES OF SUBTLE 700MB WAVES THAT EJECT
FROM THE BASE OF THIS TROUGH---AS IT RACES ACROSS THE GREAT
BASIN...NORTHERN ROCKIES---AND TRANSLATE THEIR MOMENTUM DOWNSTREAM
INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS AND NORTHEAST QUARTER OF THE NATION WILL
BE THE FORECAST CHALLENGE. TIMING THE SUBTLE WAVE ENERGY MIGRATION
AND THEIR ABILITY TO PULL CANADIAN AIR INTO THE LOWER 48

The colder solutions for the UK will be those that pull that cold air further south into the USA as these would correlate with more amplification over the ne USA.

In the broad scheme of things this shorter term uncertainty is really just the minor player because the movement of the PV east is likely to lead to some wildish swings in the output as to what happens afterwards.

Any ridge near the UK will be flattened by this movement however the negative anomalies near Iberia and into the Med support the high so effectively this stops any sort of mild zonal flow.

The case then is waiting for that transfer of the PV and seeing what the pattern is over the USA in terms of amplification which will decide the outcome downstream.

• Like 7

Posted

We'll have to agree to differ blue. To me at any rate following the sequence from T96 shows the movement of the Russian 'vortex'. True it does lose it's identity.

post-6981-0-81702000-1417248850_thumb.pn

hope you can see where im coming from on this chart. the icelandic is just an extension from the canadian vortex.  maybe i'm not understanding what you meant in which case i apologise.

Posted

The only mild I can see on the charts is today, incredibly mild in the south with 16c 61f in places but it turns cooler and cloudier tomorrow and further ahead we will see an increasing risk of frost & fog with daytime temperatures struggling as a result. IMO we are much better placed for cold potential than a year ago. :-)

Yes the pattern is vastly different to last winter and as long as those negative anomalies remain in the Med then its a case of when not if something more wintry pops up.

There are several correlations between key winter time features and what the UK gets and low pressure in the northern Med is what you want to see if you're a coldie.

• Like 7

Posted

re this from Nick F last evening

Certainly the probable mean H500 pattern 8-14days, but this masks waves in the upper westerlies that may bring brief/transitory northerlies to the UK, the classic Nly topplers. 

Very true Nick, minor waves do develop and run through the major trough-ridge set up. These can sometimes confuse over a 48 hour period that a change is starting. That is part of the reason I prefer to wait 2 sometimes 3 days to see the anomaly charts 'settle'. Looking at things this morning and there is again a difference in how Ec-GFS suggest the upper pattern will be, see below. In these cases I tend to go with the pattern show by NOAA assuming it shows more consistency. No sign yet of any major pattern change.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The ECM day 10 chart is a beauty. Ridging towards Greenland, Polar Vortex to the North of Scandinavia. That could be the start to a significant cold spell.

post-17488-0-69231600-1417249575_thumb.j

Things are getting very interesting!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM ens

Day 7

EDH1-168.GIF?29-12

At this moment the ensembles are generally seeing this cold snap as being similar to the one we will see on Tuesday/Wednesday. High pressure at the moment tending to squeeze out the coldest air, still chilly though with temperatures never really getting above average for the time of year.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes the pattern is vastly different to last winter and as long as those negative anomalies remain in the Med then its a case of when not if something more wintry pops up.

There are several correlations between key winter time features and what the UK gets and low pressure in the northern Med is what you want to see if you're a coldie.

A good example of the above from the ECM 00z in its last 2 frames with high pressure pulling back into the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM mean at D10 again does not support the op run; and synoptically in our sector of the NH is similar to the GEFS, although the latter sinks the mean heights further south:

post-14819-0-87408800-1417252621_thumb.g post-14819-0-61734400-1417252631_thumb.p

No surprise that the GEM is an outlier, both its control and mean in line with the GEFS: 

post-14819-0-16672200-1417252705_thumb.p post-14819-0-88741100-1417252717_thumb.p

In fact a million miles away from the GEM op! 

• Like 2

Posted

This alignment is much the same in the extended period but with connection Pole-Scandinavian, albeit it slim, HP and weakening of Canadian trough. Nothing to indicate to my uneducated eye any incursion of cold weather apart from brief cold snaps.

post-12275-0-96522300-1417253260_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like another variant of the GFS has been included on the model verification pages which is the PRHW14N.

Model performance starting to fall off at the moment,probably due to their difficulties with high pressure over the Arctic,although the ECM seems to be holding its own at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just want to highlight the above post from Fergie last night which some may have missed. The pro's at the met did not agree with their own model last night which means they didn't agree with the ECM either. You could see this when the modified fax charts came out last night - they made much less of the low pressure over southern Europe and placed more emphasis on the ridging from the azores. This is the interesting bit though - the updated modified fax charts this morning have done an about turn. They now agree with lower heights over Europe with the azores ridge much less prominent. It looks like the met should have stuck with their own model and ECM last night.

At what days are we talking? I only ask this, as days four and five only get updated once a day on FAX charts (to my knowledge) which means they wouldn't have updated yet?

• Like 1

Posted

At what days are we talking? I only ask this, as days four and five only get updated once a day on FAX charts (to my knowledge) which means they wouldn't have updated yet?

On an evening they update to day 5 and on a morning they update to day 3. The timeline I am referring to in my post is the 72hr period. In this period, the fax charts underwent a flip overnight whereby pressure over southern Europe is lower and also influencing events more over the low countries and France (see carinthians post this morning) and as a result, the ridging from the azores is less prominent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Still in my opinion plenty to be cheerfull about past 6/7 days .it would have been good to see todays GFS runs go more for high pressure to our n/west but there is plenty of big change from run to run .Ecm is looking good at 6/7 days ,but the big picture at about a week away seems to be Where will any high sit ,which of course is crucial to weather at the surface over good old uk .IM pretty sure that if a northerly with cold 850 s and pressure low to our north east is on its way in about 8/10 days we should start to see plenty of signs over coming 48 hrs .we must look for consistancy and agree ment at the 7 day range ,beyond that the Horizon is as clear as MUD i feel but still interesting enough for a bit of Model Discussion ,Interesting times ahead and it starts proper Monday for 13 weeks ,Did you all get your Black friday STELLAS IN , :yahoo:  :drinks:

• Like 2