Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

If you find your post is missing it's been moved the the Model/moan/ramp/banter thread. Please stay on topic which is Model 'Output' Discussion, There are other threads for historical charts and pattern matching. And please try and avoid one liners.

Thanks, PM 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I know I have highlighted this link before but it is really worth people viewing all the projected surface condition (Fax updates) options together as things might yet change with regard to where the HP resides in relation to the UK even early into next week.

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

Especially having viewed the latest GFS P, I am not so sure that there isn't less oomph in the Azores High and more impetus coming from the continent into parts N and NE of the UK. Broadly speaking however, next week will be generally chilly and dry for most of us with daily variation in cloud amounts. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

If you find your post is missing it's been moved the the Model/moan/ramp/banter thread. Please stay on topic which is Model 'Output' Discussion, There are other threads for historical charts and pattern matching. And please try and avoid one liners.

Thanks, PM 

Hi PM, perhaps i should have been less subtle with my question. The (purportedly less reliable) 06z GFS op is apparently showing a "Bartlett" high pressure scenario. I would invite any of our more learned members to explain if this model run is indeed showing a "Bartlett" and if this is a viable solution from the current set up. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=eur_full&area=eur&size=large

Models seem to mostly agree on low pressure to the south over the next few days with ridging over the middle of the country and a gradual cooling trend with a frosty spell next week for parts of the UK. There is evidence of a cold pool east of Poland which could eventually become absorbed by the low now moving NE into the Med and with some remarkably high temperatures over the western Med there may be potential for invigoration of this low. Also of note are observations of blowing sand over N Africa which could get sucked up and blown above the UK giving the sky a milky appearance over the next few days. At the same time the colder drier air is creeping ever closer to the south east with most of Holland now in this colder air. The high over NW Russia continues to be maintained and has moved further north over the last couple of days. Also note worthy is that the Russian high is not that intense at around 1040MB. Intense highs can look dramatic but sometimes can be prone to quick displacement where as more modest highs can hang around for longer periods.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just want to highlight the above post from Fergie last night which some may have missed. The pro's at the met did not agree with their own model last night which means they didn't agree with the ECM either. You could see this when the modified fax charts came out last night - they made much less of the low pressure over southern Europe and placed more emphasis on the ridging from the azores. This is the interesting bit though - the updated modified fax charts this morning have done an about turn. They now agree with lower heights over Europe with the azores ridge much less prominent. It looks like the met should have stuck with their own model and ECM last night.

The T120 FAX will not get updated till tonight so I don't have a point of reference to compare. The problem is that although there is a very small cluster at around D6 for a more amplified Atlantic ridge towards Greenland, even these GEFS  within 24 hours model that ridge to be overrun from energy from the Canadian PV. The 3/4 GEFSs that are close to the UKMO take, all topple that ridge. We have seen the ECM do exactly that at D7-8. The PV is on the move so I cannot see the UKMO D6 chart go anywhere cold.

As for the GFS 06z run that also shows a continuation from the 0z model with the PV energy moving east in week 1 and moving back west after that; the second run with this pattern. The op. P & C all show this. The problem with this outcome is that it makes it much less likely for heights to build towards Greenland and with the Azores/Atlantic pushing SW to NE we get into a more TM flow:

Mean 850s at D14: post-14819-0-34337900-1417261714_thumb.p post-14819-0-79282800-1417261779_thumb.p

Very little sign of anything promising from the GEFS on the 06z and hopefully not a step backwards.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=eur_full&area=eur&size=large

Also note worthy is that the Russian high is not that intense at around 1040MB. Intense highs can look dramatic but sometimes can be prone to quick displacement where as more modest highs can hang around for longer periods.  

Well 1040mb is pretty intense in my book.

Intense highs can look dramatic but sometimes can be prone to quick displacement where as more modest highs can hang around for longer periods.

Why is that as it seems counter intuitive?

Posted

The T120 FAX will not get updated till tonight so I don't have a point of reference to compare. The problem is that although there is a very small cluster at around D6 for a more amplified Atlantic ridge towards Greenland, even these GEFS  within 24 hours model that ridge to be overrun from energy from the Canadian PV. The 3/4 GEFSs that are close to the UKMO take, all topple that ridge. We have seen the ECM do exactly that at D7-8. The PV is on the move so I cannot see the UKMO D6 chart go anywhere cold.

As for the GFS 06z run that also shows a continuation from the 0z model with the PV energy moving east in week 1 and moving back west after that; the second run with this pattern. The op. P & C all show this. The problem with this outcome is that it makes it much less likely for heights to build towards Greenland and with the Azores/Atlantic pushing SW to NE we get into a more TM flow:

Mean 850s at D14: attachicon.gifgens-21-0-336.png attachicon.gifgens-21-1-336.png

Very little sign of anything promising from the GEFS on the 06z and hopefully not a step backwards.

In relation to the fax charts, I was referring to the conditions in our locale as opposed to the amplification downstream.

Posted

Well 1040mb is pretty intense in my book.

Why is that as it seems counter intuitive?

It is something that I have noticed over many years. Not always the case though...a couple of winters back a high of 1060MB gradually moved westwards from Siberia at around 60 N putting most of Europe and SE UK into the freezer and lasted around a week.. reasonably well modelled though. I think that the more intense the high the more energy is required to maintain it so although the pattern is more likely to be meridional for intense highs to exist the chances are that the lows are also highly intense and the highs can get quickly shunted away.   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

6z in FI just blows up the vortex which we all know it loves to do.

It's twin however doesn't do this and still keeps a lid on the PV and Arctic heights and the PV remain distraught and disrupted.

Posted

Yes, a good post from Lorenzo. I think a wider view from the Adrian Matthews website will help to allay some fears about Bartletts getting going. Look at the stream function for 200mb and you can see the influences of the current phase; that should only be temporary if the models are right.

wh04_psi200.gif

http://envam1.env.uea.ac.uk/mjo.html

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Just noticed the -8 'uppers' are not far away at all on the UKMO day 6. Friday could be a day to look out for snow to lower levels. We should see soon if the -8 uppers that are touching Scotland will make it further south on the 12z.

UW144-7.GIF?29-05

There further away on the ECM though

ECM0-144.GIF?29-12

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Just noticed the -8 'uppers' are not far away at all on the UKMO day 6. Friday could be a day to look out for snow to lower levels. We should see soon if the -8 uppers that are touching Scotland will make it further south on the 12z.

UW144-7.GIF?29-05

There further away on the ECM though

ECM0-144.GIF?29-12

Barry,

Far be it for me to curb your enthusism, but it is the -6C just off Scotland.

The -8C is up by Iceland.

MIA 

• Like 4

Posted

Barry,

Far be it for me to curb your enthusism, but it is the -6C just off Scotland.

The -8C is up by Iceland.

MIA 

Oh, that's embarrassing :oops: 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Barry,Far be it for me to curb your enthusism, but it is the -6C just off Scotland.The -8C is up by Iceland.MIA

Plus there are a hell of a lot more parameters to consider when trying to forecast snowfall than solely looking at 850hpa Temps. Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

Posted

Plus there is a hell of a lot more parameters to do consider when trying to forecast snowfall than solely looking at 850hpa Temps.

I know that's why I said 'could'.

• Like 1

Posted

Plus there are a hell of a lot more parameters to consider when trying to forecast snowfall than solely looking at 850hpa Temps.

which means we could have 850 temps of -2 and it could still snow!! Especially if flow slack/off the continent! !
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Nobody commenting on the ukmo

post-16960-0-95613600-1417278489_thumb.g nh viewpost-16960-0-58251600-1417278531_thumb.g

so ukmo continues with it's northerly while gfs is still having none of it.

Edit:cloud10 pipped me.

also gem could be good too

@ 120hrspost-16960-0-29263500-1417279063_thumb.p @150hrspost-16960-0-77108900-1417279298_thumb.p

so both ukmo and gem at it again,i await the ecm.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted

Nobody commenting on the ukmo

attachicon.gifUW144-211.GIF nh viewattachicon.gifUN144-2134.GIF

so ukmo continues with it's northerly while gfs is still having none of it.

Edit:cloud10 pipped me.

Nothing new in that - GFS first shows the idea in far FI then drops it just as the other models pick it up at the point of verification stats ie. seven days.

• Like 3

Posted

Semems to me as though the gfs has been increasing the amplification run by run around greenland! ! Gona be a slow one from the gfs i think!! Ukmo still gunning for the northerly! !

• Like 1