Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2014-15 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have issued a cold weather alert for NW England, NE England, Yorkshire & the Humber

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0922 on Mon 12 Jan 2015

There is a 70% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions between 1800 on Monday and 0700 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

After a mild start to Monday colder conditions will gradually spread southeastwards across England today and overnight. Showers will follow, these becoming wintry, even to lower levels at times overnight and also through Tuesday. At low levels any snowfall accumulations will be slight, compared to more significant accumulations over higher ground. Icy stretches are also likely to form on untreated surfaces from Monday night, especially across northern England.

The colder conditions with wintry showers will persist through to Sunday, apart for a milder period Wednesday night when very wet and very windy conditions move east across England. There is some uncertainty for the weekend, but less cold conditions may spread to southern parts for Saturday and Sunday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

@summer sun. personally i wouldn't class this as a cold sbell mor a cold snap. as for this winters turning out to be better than laster winter isn't surprising it wouldn't take much for that last winter was a 1 off an event in 250 years if i'm rite. as for the winter forecast so far it's not doing too bad for   nw parts of the u.k and scotland wich again no surprise most folks down south i don't  think had much snow if any so far. here in this part of brum we only had half an our of snow on the 27TH dec. as for this week I dont think from  birmingham south whill see any lowlevel snow apart from some wintery showers.

Depends upon your definition of better I suppose. Last "winter" scored a zero out of 10 and fully deserved it....this one as of up to today gets a 1 out of 10...soooo, in the absolute broadest possible sense you could say this one has been .utter crap but not as crap as last year. Calling it any different would be akin to polishing a turd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Quite an interesting update from Gavin Partridge this evening. Hints of a weather front on Sunday and Monday stalling in colder air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well things are finally looking promising for a UK wide cold spell with the chance of significant snowfall in some places.It just got me thinking that was it the infamous 1947 winter that started about 20-21st Jan. Wasn't around then but something tells me that it was around those dates. Wouldn't it be nice to have a repeat of that lol!!Somebody showed a couple weeks back the CFS run for Feb and it showed cold weather for the whole month coming from East or North East. One can but dream. In the meantime good luck to those that receive snow today. Pictures sent by Pomeroysnow are hopefully the start of things to come :cold:  :cold: .

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Winter at last!

post-2595-0-60447500-1421150438_thumb.jppost-2595-0-83823200-1421150522_thumb.jppost-2595-0-10791900-1421150536_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Tony, Your words say it all...... Winter at last! ... GREAT PICTURES :D

Posted

Big turn around from the met office today!!

UK Outlook for Sunday 18 Jan 2015 to Tuesday 27 Jan 2015:

There is also a low risk of some more persistent rain and perhaps snow moving across southern and central areas for a time. Through next week, there is a trend towards generally colder conditions than of late bringing an increased risk of snow, more especially in northern and eastern areas. Temperatures will be generally below average with overnight frosts, locally severe

giphy.gif

Posted

Will it snow in Carlisle ? :D

The met office are forecasting light snow showers in Carlisle on Friday

:)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Gavin Partridge is well and truely in ramp mode this evening! :cold:

Posted

Bbc news tonight said the coldest spell for two years on the way!

Yes I suppose the cold coming up will be the most prolonged but you would think from some members on here and the BBC forecasters that the winter has seen nothing in the way of cold weather at all. The -5hpa has entered the UK many of the time but unfortunately due to it coming from the Atlantic it is more modified but our scottish members in particular has experienced some snowfall so far, we have seen frosts also and also some below average maximums. Of course we have seen our milder moments also with that exceptionally mild evening quite recently. 

I for one has found this winter so far quite interesting in terms of the up and down nature of the temperatures, strength of the wind at times coupled with some quieter frosty weather at times.

Still another half of winter too come, I am hoping for some snowfall and a more widespread snow events and for the -10hpa to actually hit the UK widely!

Posted

It's quite nice to be sat here, with an Atlantic storm going on outside, to be talking/reading about upcoming snow and cold. I guess us Brits curse our luck at times in regards to winter weather, but perhaps we should be thankful we can, and do, experience the whole spectrum of what it can offer, and how the rarity of cold spells makes them that bit much more special.

Who knows, perhaps there are Estonians on an equivalent weather forum cursing the fact they never get any decent storms off the Atlantic, and are contiually searching for the elusive "Wonder from the West".

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Gavin Partridge is well and truely in ramp mode this evening! :cold:

NICE!

Does he have a cold? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

After a bit of a trawl...I've found the most (well only) accurate(ish) winter forecast thus far...

http://www.ukweatherwatch.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4564&p=74204#p74204

Apart from the cold episode that was missed after xmas, and the cold episode that is about to be missed next week and maybe beyond. I think I could call a 75% success if I stated all British winters were going to be wet and average/mild - with absolutely no skill required. IB has long since lost any reputation on here, because he simply calls the zonal card every time. The fact that he is right on most occasions - because zonal is mostly what we get - is entirely irrelevant.

Looking at the charts tonight I'll bet you're glad you posted this now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

I might just buy a snow shovel from Tescos now :)

Posted

Cold weather alert upgraded to level 3 for NW England, NE England, Yorkshire and the Humber and level 2 for east and west midland and east of England

Issued at: 0826 on Thu 15 Jan 2015

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions between 1800 on Thursday and 1200 on Monday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

After less cold conditions overnight Wednesday and for a time on Thursday, increasingly cold air will spread from the northwest across England on Thursday night and during Friday, with showers turning more wintry from the north. Average temperatures are expected to continue falling through the weekend, with a northerly airstream likely to be established by Sunday. Frost and ice are expected to become increasingly widespread through the period, with some severe overnight frosts likely in the north over any snow cover by Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted

Another cold update from Gavin Partridge

Meanwhile the beeb still going for some snow next week but they are uncertain as to how far east it will get, could be some good battleground events next week once the finer details emerge over the weekend and if winds are light the snow could be quite persistent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/30842988

Edited by Summer Sun