Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Hi

I don't have access to the ECM extended ensembles, clusters or otherwise. I would therefore be guessing at why the mean 2m temps slowly falls by a couple of degrees from D10-15 for London. That type of expert analysis I leave for IF, Knocker, BA and others, who have more info. However I assume the clustering shows that there is a fall off in a zonal flow within the latter part of those extended 5 days, that is if the GEFS are anything to go by. I was in fact referring to several posts that suggested the next 10 days had trended colder than average, when neither the GFS or ECM ops suggest's that.

GFS 06z London 2m temps: attachicon.gifMeteociel_-_Diagrammes_GEFS_pour_Londres 4.png

Hi

I am not talking about the ensemble clusters within the ECM suite, I don't have access to them,  I am talking about the clustering of colder solutions later in the run.

The point being that if we are to analyse ensembles in this format and commenting on them it makes sense to comment on the most striking feature as well as the more mundane aspect.

You analysis of not rending colder than average over the next 10 days is okay and I accept the context in which it was written is reasonable but it is somewhat seeing the output from narrow perspective in that ignores trends IMO. 

It will be essentially zonal over that period and temps will come in around or perhaps little above average but there is the possibility some Northern parts will see some snow as early as next week (toward end) and that risk looks likely to increase into the weekend and then again into the following week.

This is the current trend as low pressure tracks further South with time and the Azores high is slowly displaced.

Granted ECM Op is slightly more resistant to colder shots in the zonal flow digging further South but it still produces this for next weekend.

ECH0-192.GIF?03-12

What I am trying to say is that limiting ourselves to a mean average picture for the next 10 days doesn't accurately portray the trend for colder weather to become more prominent from later next week.

All of this is subject to change but that is currently what the ensembles and output suggest IMO.

That is not tot say I believe a full pattern change to a more blocked regime is imminent. I arbitrarily rated that at only 20% for around mid month this morning. But there is a clear signal for a colder zonal regime to take over and after a stormy period for the zonal flow to relax somewhat allowing a window of opportunity for blocking to form.

This turned into a much longer post than I imagined and I don't have a problem with your overall analysis, all I wanted to say is that we should not ignore trends within the output and look at the outlook as a static picture, ie average for next 10 days.

Anyway, forgetting about trends for a moment there is the possibility of all kinds of weather shenanigans later next week with snow possibilities for the North being the least of them.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Patience...it's coming.

gfsnh-0-372.png?6gfsnh-0-360.png?6gensnh-2-1-360.pnggensnh-11-1-360.pnggensnh-14-1-360.png

I'm not falling for that again :laugh:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Good to see this afternoons output making less of the possible storm at day 6 either developing it less and/or having it track further North.

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?03-17

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?12

Parallel

gfs-0-144.png?12

So the UKMO still wants this low to hit Scotland and Northern England/Ireland. The GFS misses the UK completely and the parallel is in between bringing strong winds to the Hebrides and Shetland/Orkney Isles. Mild too with temperatures hitting 14C in the north east and double figures widely. Before then, the coming 5 or so days are fairly quiet though still changeable.

Dubious about the intensity of that PM shot at day 8 (widespread 850s of -6C look a little over the top).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I wouldn't rule out winter 2015/16, but I am talking about this winter, this month. Patience grasshopper..it's coming. 

You have been saying that for months Barry :)

• Like 3

Day 6 charts

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?03-17

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?12

Parallel

gfs-0-144.png?12

So the UKMO still wants this low to hit Scotland and Northern England/Ireland. The GFS misses the UK completely and the parallel is in between bringing strong winds to the Hebrides and Shetland/Orkney Isles. Mild too with temperatures hitting 14C in the north east and double figures widely. Before then, the coming 5 or so days are fairly quiet though still changeable.

Mild sector looks very transient on friday before much cooler air on Saturday on GFS 12Z OP, don't overexaggerate the coming weeks mildness, you also forgot to mention the warm sector bringing a spell of heavy rain friday.

• Like 2

Posted

Mild sector looks very transient on friday before much cooler air on Saturday on GFS 12Z OP, don't overexaggerate the coming weeks mildness, you also forgot to mention the warm sector bringing a spell of heavy rain friday.

very much so, 12z makes it colder quicker

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

And with the strength of the wind it won't feel mild even if it does hit double figures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Didn't something like this happen last year (big cold snap in Eastern USA, heating up of West Coast USA including Alaska), and then we got loads of storms?

post-22381-0-98352900-1420303373_thumb.j

Edited by Woollymummy

Posted

Why is it when mild is showing in Fi people presume its a done deal and winter is over. But when it shows colder conditions its presumed it wont happen when both have an equal chance. I know we have all been led up the garden path many times but one time our luck has to change. Love your enthusiasm frosty never change mate.

Because it has a much less than equal chance of being cold as we predominantly get mild SW winds during Winter in the UK.

It would be foolhardy to write off any cold snowy episode though until at least April :)

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 2

Posted

Mid month cold snap showing again on the GFS old..

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150103/12/312/h850t850eu.png

If we're lucky we might squeeze a 3 day colder spell before the zonal pattern returns.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Didn't something like this happen last year (big cold snap in Eastern USA, heating up of West Coast USA including Alaska), and then we got loads of storms?

Indeed - this pattern is, AFAIK, fairly similar.  Apologies to Mods for one-liner - as things are quieter here now, I thought a response to the question would be OK.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Again GFSP shows some pretty cool/cold Pm shots from the N/W around the 10th, With a Meridional Jet driving the flow.. Pulling snow showers over the majority of the UK with -4/-5 850's. Further into the run the Arctic High seems a little stronger, With Heights also pushing up into Greenland blocking the Atlantic and drawing a Northerly of types again, Similar to this mornings run, A good trend to see.

gfsnh-0-174.png?12gfsnh-0-234.png?12gfsnh-0-288.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted

Different reasons upstream - this time last year was the vortex dropping way south into ne states. Now it's a big high pushing the cold south. The jet stream wavelength is also much shorter providing the mild/cold variation we currently gave.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Mid month cold snap showing again on the GFS old..

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150103/12/312/h850t850eu.png

If we're lucky we might squeeze a 3 day colder spell before the zonal pattern returns.

You're already talking about the end of a potential cold snap that rests 13 days away!

I think the first on the list is to get it here first!

• Like 9

Posted

Why do you say this? that is an odd comment

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015010312/gfsnh-0-384.png?12

The 384 chart is the last one we see and it doesn't show Zonal returning?????

Jet is running over the top of the high pressure, the next low pressure exiting the US will flatten the ridge and sink the high back to the Azores. The PV will likely be strengthening again by this time as the PV moves back to the pole and reinforces the Westerly regime..

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150103/12/384/npst30.png

Unless, there are some major strat or trop changed soon then this potential colder spell mid month might be our last shot, still loads of time for changes though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

An almost true Greenland high.

gfsnh-0-372.png?12

• Like 5

Posted

You're already talking about the end of a potential cold snap that rests 13 days away!

I think the first on the list is to get it here first!

Absolutely, everything in FI is completely hypothetical.

An almost true Greenland high.

gfsnh-0-372.png?12

Chart of the season, will we get there though!! Pray to the snow Gods.

• Like 1

Posted

Two parallels which have ended with a greeny high which looks likely to be cut off. Good trends. Much prefer the para to show this in its low res than the normal gfs.

onwards and upwards onto the ens.

• Like 7

Posted

GFS continues to a hint at the PV relenting somewhat as we progress past mid-month. A light at the end of the tunnel? A possibility of the MJO reaching phase 7 supports a mid-Atlantic ridge as indicated by the OP and P. The GFSp ends very nicely.. 

• Like 3

Posted

Jet is running over the top of the high pressure, the next low pressure exiting the US will flatten the ridge and sink the high back to the Azores. The PV will likely be strengthening again by this time as the PV moves back to the pole and reinforces the Westerly regime..

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20150103/12/384/npst30.png

Unless, there are some major strat or trop changed soon then this potential colder spell mid month might be our last shot, still loads of time for changes though.

All hypothetical as that isn't being shown to be happening 

• Like 2