Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2015

Posted

The year ending in 5 was slightly different for these 2 years early march with a continental E/SE-ly probably very cold though especially 1985 with surface cold still off the continent.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1975/Rrea00119750301.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00119850301.gif

Already seen 1995.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950301.gif

2005 we were already in the middle of a cold spell,subtle change on the 1st though.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050301.gif

Looks like some snow coming tonight and again tomorrow night,the coldest upper air are to arrive tomorrow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn242.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Absolutely brilliant psychologically for many that we are now in Meteorological Spring. Time to pin this thread instead of the Winter one I think!

Wintry couple of days ahead but all on the up from there on in for the foreseeable. Quite remarkable how March has been such a HP dominated month in recent years.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted

Quite remarkable how March has been such a HP dominated month in recent years.

Yeah, I mentioned that before. Early/mid March has recently matched the weather singularities that state it's typically a dry and settled time of year. For me personally it's quite frustrating, as I am one to look for cold/snow as long as it's reasonably possible, and that's well into March. By the time we hit April my appetite for cold and snow dwindles, just as the most northerly time of year tends to kick in! It comes in the wrong order, and is a right kick in the teeth.

As a result, I reckon this high pressure coming up may last for a week or so, maybe two, but it will probably give way to northerly or north easterly winds just that bit too bloody late. Sod's law.

Regardless, it is what it is. HP looks pretty much nailed on, I just hope it's the clear variety and we can eek a few frosts out of it. If it's full of cloud and stupidly mild, I'll be mega cheesed off, truth be told.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm really looking forward to being able to be comfortable outside. I know winter was disappointing for a lot of people but it felt pretty cold most of the time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'd be wary of wishing for a warm, dry spring TBH. Over the past 10 years or so there has seemingly been a trend of warm, dry springs being proceeded by insanely wet and coolish summers. Not that I'd complain about that, mind. Summer 2007 was stunning for many reasons.

Being able to see your breath in mid July is just magical. As is the associated bouts of PM sourced convection.

In essence I'd take a warm spring with low humidity (given the time of year) followed by a 2007, 2008, 2009 or even 2010 type summer!

2009 and 2010 were both very good for convection from slack LP systems too. I lost count of the number of thunder days I witnessed between here and my ex GFs house in Stockport!

It certainly beats waiting on a 'plume' which often never arrives (shunting into the low countries instead). PM convection from slack LP systems I have found to be much more reliable and bearable in equal measure.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

I'd be wary of wishing for a warm, dry spring TBH. Over the past 10 years or so there has seemingly been a trend of warm, dry springs being proceeded by insanely wet and coolish summers. Not that I'd complain about that, mind. Summer 2007 was stunning for many reasons.

Being able to see your breath in mid July is just magical. As is the associated bouts of PM sourced convection.

In essence I'd take a warm spring with low humidity (given the time of year) followed by a 2007, 2008, 2009 or even 2010 type summer!

2009 and 2010 were both very good for convection from slack LP systems too. I lost count of the number of thunder days I witnessed between here and my ex GFs house in Stockport!

It certainly beats waiting on a 'plume' which often never arrives (shunting into the low countries instead). PM convection from slack LP systems I have found to be much more reliable and bearable in equal measure.

I agree about the warm settled springs being followed by wet summers. I have a fear of that. The worst example obviously being what happened after march 2012, although you would hardly call that a "warm spring" because April and May were appalling. I really hope we don't use up our "high pressure allocation" in spring (i realise that has no basis in rigorous analysis!).

That said, there must be examples of decent springs being followed by good summers? i suppose (august aside) last year would be one example? 1995? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I agree about the warm settled springs being followed by wet summers. I have a fear of that. The worst example obviously being what happened after march 2012, although you would hardly call that a "warm spring" because April and May were appalling. I really hope we don't use up our "high pressure allocation" in spring (i realise that has no basis in rigorous analysis!).

That said, there must be examples of decent springs being followed by good summers? i suppose (august aside) last year would be one example? 1995? 

That year, and indeed 2003 are good examples. The second half of March was very dry and settled, April was often settled until the final week. May was indeed much more unsettled but a hot spell arrived in the final week, almost as a precursor to the months that followed.

Posted

The worst example obviously being what happened after march 2012, although you would hardly call that a "warm spring" because April and May were appalling.

The second half of May 2012 was stunning here making it probably the best month in an otherwise atrocious year - the summer was awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The second half of May 2012 was stunning here making it probably the best month in an otherwise atrocious year - the summer was awful.

Yes I remember one week in the 2nd half of May was glorious then summer arrived..................

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I remember one week in the 2nd half of May was glorious then summer arrived..................

for me that one decent week of may didn't save the month - although i think it did make it technically an "average month". And then we watched as our high pressure drifted towards Greenland and the floodgates opened. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Can I order a number 5 please, except a long lasting one throughout spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I can think of 1989,90,91,95 and 03 all had warm/hot spells in April or May preceding the start of a warm/hot summer..mind you 1983 was a wet spring followed by a glorious summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

GFS has 16c over Yorkshire tomorrow. Brisk winds however, but perfect for blowing away the cobwebs of winter and ushering in the new season :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Today's the first day this year it's felt spring-like to me. Had to unzip my coat.

Yep same for me first time going out without a coat :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Would have been lovely had it not been for the wind,looks like tomorrow will be windy too!!!

Posted

A shame Autumn rarely arrives on the 6th of September and winter rarely arrives on the 6th of December, it must be so boring for mildies as they have the next 7 months to chase high pressure and warmth, winter only started 3 months ago but the chase for cold and snow has long been over, in 3 months time it will still only be June but mildies and joe public never seem get fed up of warmth and high pressure though, i wonder if coldies would get fed up of chasing cold and snow if there was a chance of it for 7-8 months a year

Edited by Snowy Easterlies
  • Like 2

Posted

Still hasn't felt all that nice to me down here:(

Apart from the obvious changing light conditions, there has nearly always been a brisk breeze which has made it feel rather chilly.

Was looking forward to the high-pressure fest and glorious ushering in of spring this weekend/week but it's really been watered down to seemingly just today which will probably be cloudy and still rather breezy.

Lots of talk of winter making a comeback in the model thread.

Bad times:(

Posted

A shame Autumn rarely arrives on the 6th of September and winter rarely arrives on the 6th of December, it must be so boring for mildies as they have the next 7 months to chase high pressure and warmth, winter only started 3 months ago but the chase for cold and snow has long been over, in 3 months time it will still only be June but mildies and joe public never seem get fed up of warmth and high pressure though, i wonder if coldies would get fed up of chasing cold and snow if there was a chance of it for 7-8 months a year

even the 3 months of winter is too long for me  :laugh:

• Like 2