Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Mar '01, I remember around Wed 21st a huge predicted snowfest went tits up here at the arrival, disappointing but at least I had the 'new' Atlantic 252! 12 in a row, non stop rhythm and dance!

Posted

I don't see why it would be any more boring than 2013 in your area, considering how terrible it is for snow anyway. Surely March 2013 was just cold, cloudy and wet in your locale.

March 2013 had 5 days with lying snow at 0900 and falling sleet/snow on 14 days. Snow depths weren't anything special but the 14 days with sleet/snow falling was actually the same as December 2010 and the highest of any month since at least 1987. It was the 6th coldest month in 27 years and the coldest March probably since 1955 here. It was probably a one in fifty year event, so as a weather enthusiast it was extremely interesting. Despite your apparent defensiveness I'm not actually against warmth in spring (I enjoyed months like April 2007/2011 and March 2012), but do wish to see some notable weather extremes and unusual events - and in a consistently mild spring these don't often occur.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Met Office ens mean maps have updated for Feb covering March to May

Pressure is shown to be fairly high across the UK

2cat_20150201_mslp_months24_global_deter

Slightly below average rain with 2m temps around average

2cat_20150201_temp2m_months24_global_det2cat_20150201_prec_months24_global_deter

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If I think back over previous Marches, it's definitely the varied ones that have been remembered the most. Had March 2012 not had such record warmth in the final week, it would be very similar to March 2011 in my book. Unfortunately I was not here during March 2013 as I was living in Spain at the time (which incidentally had a record-breakingly wet month after a dry winter). I think the Marches I have enjoyed the most for variety are 2014, 2009, 2008, 2005 and 2004. 2003 started well but became rather boring after midmonth. 

I'm hoping for a varied March, preferably any cold spell in the first 10 days, a stormy period of March gales in the middle third, and some spring high pressure in the final third, leading into Easter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Turning all springy over here according to the forecasts with lots of clear skies and temps 8/9c by day and -1/0c by night. Sounds super!

• Like 2

Posted

Last april on the frost and snow index comes out as 0.

1996 is 16.

1998 a whopping 33.

2000 another mega wintry april of 25.

2006 at 7.

2008 a welcome return to proper cold and snow in april after 2000 at a highly respectable 25.

2012 came out as 14.

2013 at 18.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted

Warm anticyclonic April usually means cold wet dull rubbish arriving just in time for summer (1987, 2007, 2011). Wet cold April can go either way (1989 vs 2012). It's the topsy turvy Aprils that seem most likely to lead to good summers (1995, 2003, 2006).

• Like 1

Posted

Back to this spring and there's massive uncertainty with what's going on, even CFS don't have a clue to pin point a clear cut signal at the moment, its all up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

Are there any certainties when it comes to the weather?

I would have thought this winter was a prime example, OPI, QBO etc all point to northerly blocking being favourable. Reality is no northerly blocking. AO positive, NAO positive.

CFS is in my opinion a bit of a joke. It was showing a March 2013 scenario the other day, it is not now. Why any credence is given to this model, I don't understand,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It depends on what one's threshold for a warm anticyclonic April is, since the Aprils of 1995 and 2003 were both warm and anticyclonic overall in spite of having sharp temperature fluctuations at times.  Another good example that preceded a hot summer was April 1945, which had a potent northerly at the end but returned a Central England Temperature of 10.1C.

I can think of a couple of Aprils that were anticyclonic and consistently warm that preceded hot summers- 1949 and 1955.  However, if I remember rightly the stats do suggest a slight correlation between a very dry April and wet weather during the subsequent summer, with 1912 being a particularly extreme example- for most parts of the country April was by far the sunniest, as well as driest, month of that year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

It depends on what one's threshold for a warm anticyclonic April is, since the Aprils of 1995 and 2003 were both warm and anticyclonic overall in spite of having sharp temperature fluctuations at times.  Another good example that preceded a hot summer was April 1945, which had a potent northerly at the end but returned a Central England Temperature of 10.1C.

I can think of a couple of Aprils that were anticyclonic and consistently warm that preceded hot summers- 1949 and 1955.  However, if I remember rightly the stats do suggest a slight correlation between a very dry April and wet weather during the subsequent summer, with 1912 being a particularly extreme example- for most parts of the country April was by far the sunniest, as well as driest, month of that year.

The 3 warm dry April's of 1987, 07 and 11 were followed by wet or very wet summers..

Posted

A number of recent springs of years ending in "5" have been very interesting.

2005 had the wintry first week and exceptionally mild second half to March. There was the northerly blast in early April. There was a record May minimum recorded in the middle of May and 31.4C recorded at the end of May

1995 was topsy turvy, again with record breaking maxima and minima in May

1985 was a bit topsy turvy especially the April

1975 had that wintry late March-early April period also record breaking May minimum

1965 had a wintry first half and exceptionally mild second half to March

1955 had that wintry March, warm April, mid May snow and record frosts

1945 was exceptionally mild with a short potent wintry burst at the end of April

1935 had that remarkable wintry mid May period with record frosts

1915 had a May with record breaking frosts and snow mid month

It is interesting the Mays recording sharp frosts and also late season snowfalls/wintry preciptation being reported.

1915, 1935, 1945, 1955, 1965, 1975 (June), 1985 (June), 1995

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I suspect most people would take summer 05. Second half of June was the warmest since 76 and i think the mid-June to mid-July period probably averages very high.

Do you have the mid-June to mid-July stat Mr Data?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just Staggering. :rofl:

4c at just before 10am could easily be early spring under sunny skies - the season of large diurnal ranges remember!  :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

I was just looking at the temperatures I recorded (in Chelmsford) last Spring.

The first ≥15C temperature of 2014 was 18.5C on 9th March. It wasn't until 21 April this was beaten (18.8C), with the 19C barrier broken on 6 May (19.2C) and the 20C barrier broken on 16 May (21.8 C).

March was generally quite mild with maximums in the low teens but there was a cold snap in the final week; April was also fairly mild with most maximums in the low-to-mid teens; and May was again mild with maximums in the mid-teens with a warmer period in the middle.

The average daily maximums of last Spring ended up being greater than the 1981 - 2010 average; March by +1.8C, April by +1.5C and May by +0.1C.

It's a nice thought that we're now only two or three weeks away from when temperatures can at least be in the mid-to-high teens. :D Although of course winter can have a sting in its tail, as it did in March 2013 (and in the final week of March 2014 to a lesser extent). :cold:

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It looks like some lucky locations did manage to get into double figures today. The south coast, North Wales, Lancashire, Cumbria and around Edinburgh were the favoured spots today.

Its not unusual to see double figures in mid winter, but its the combination of light winds, sunshine and double figures that can bring that taste of early Spring round about this time of year.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I quite enjoyed the last week of March last year. There was thunder and hail on the 27th in Egham then I was sunbathing in London on the 29th. Very warm end to the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I was just looking at the temperatures I recorded (in Chelmsford) last Spring.

The first ≥15C temperature of 2014 was 18.5C on 9th March. It wasn't until 21 April this was beaten (18.8C), with the 19C barrier broken on 6 May (19.2C) and the 20C barrier broken on 16 May (21.8 C).

March was generally quite mild with maximums in the low teens but there was a cold snap in the final week; April was also fairly mild with most maximums in the low-to-mid teens; and May was again mild with maximums in the mid-teens with a warmer period in the middle.

The average daily maximums of last Spring ended up being greater than the 1981 - 2010 average; March by +1.8C, April by +1.5C and May by +0.1C.

It's a nice thought that we're now only two or three weeks away from when temperatures can at least be in the mid-to-high teens. :D Although of course winter can have a sting in its tail, as it did in March 2013 (and in the final week of March 2014 to a lesser extent). :cold:

In 1986 nowhere in the country reached 15 deg until 4th of april

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Got up to just above 10C this afternoon. It felt very much like early spring in the sunshine and fairly light winds.

A bit different here in the hills,never saw the sun all day ,very dull and misty,max 6 deg!!

Posted

In 1986 nowhere in the country reached 15 deg until 4th of april

1986 was extreme, we didn't reach above 12.0C until 25th April, above 15C until 1st May and 20C until 13th June.

Only 20 days in the entire year reached above 20C and only 10 of those were above 21C. This came after 1985 which had only 23 days above 20C aswell.

Its like we're in a different climate these days.

Posted

Saw my first 2 male black birds doing their 'cock fighting' yesterday - battle llines are being drawn.

Posted

1986 was extreme, we didn't reach above 12.0C until 25th April, above 15C until 1st May and 20C until 13th June.

Only 20 days in the entire year reached above 20C and only 10 of those were above 21C. This came after 1985 which had only 23 days above 20C aswell.

Its like we're in a different climate these days.

Yes the period Jan 85 - Sep 86 was distinctly chilly. October 85 and Dec 85 only months appreciably above average, most were average or well below. Jan 85, May 85, Nov 85, Feb 86, Mar 86, Apr 86, Aug 86 and Sep 86 were significantly below average. I think northern blocking was in residency most of the time. Spring 85 and 86 were very poor temp wise followed by 2 very chilly summers. Gosh if we saw a couplet like that again many would be saying its the return of the ice age..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Final update from Jamstec before spring shows slightly below average temps not only for the UK but a lot of Europe in general

temp2.glob.MAM2015.1feb2015.gif

Rainfall wise its showing a slightly drier than average spring

tprep.glob.MAM2015.1feb2015.gif

• Like 1