Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

Ian Fs latest tweet says by Thurs nearly all showers will be of snow - that doesn't scream marginal...Be nice to hear what the METO are thinking for the next weekend. Temps /precip especially.

Nearly being the give away.Lol! Everyone knows I haven't just turned to the dark side but simply urging some caution because the set up is messy and not a clean Arctic blast. I don't doubt there will be some snow but just trying to lower expectations to what is possible within the initial set up.

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely. The 850mb temp profile is only one aspect. Here's a chart I wheel out every year to show it is not the be all end all.

I'm not trying to draw any similarities to the upcoming cold spell, just pointing out not to simply look at the upper temps and assume yay or boo to whether it will snow in your garden. They are a good guide, probably the best single guide but too simplistic to rely on solely

I like to think of the 850's as a beginners trap. If you only hit on one variable and draw a quick conclusion you'll never get it right. 850's are good when it comes to determining mild sectors at short range.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

For those who are looking at the 850hPa temperature profile and determining that it won't be cold enough for widespread low lying snow;

Rrea00119811209.gif

Rrea00219811209.gif

London was hit by heavy snowfall that day and record low temperatures followed over the coming days.

The winter you mention above is the reason I love snow so much! For the sort of temperatures recorded around my area then (just outside of Gloucester), worth a quick read here:

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Look-frozen-winter-1981-2/story-14267881-detail/story.html

Will be interesting to see if the GFS 'cleans up' it's northerly track today, or that the messy track is going to be the way forward...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Ian Fs latest tweet says by Thurs nearly all showers will be of snow - that doesn't scream marginal...Be nice to hear what the METO are thinking for the next weekend. Temps /precip especially.

If you read the rest of the tweet it highlights what today's postings have suggested. https://twitter.com/fergieweather/status/559269963958345728

• Like 1

Posted

A nice run of tweets from Ian now if people want an idea of the METOs thought...sounds colder than some predicting here. Slightly les cold fri pm, then much colder weekend. Aimed for the West Country but still good indication. I Personnally expect a GFS upgrade this next run back towards the ECM output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

If you read the rest of the tweet it highlights what today's postings have suggested. https://twitter.com/fergieweather/status/559269963958345728

........and also shows his fine taste of suits! :)

Posted

BA do you have news yet on the control run? the ne flow caught my eye , does it build the ridge ne before toppling this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Nearly being the give away.Lol! Everyone knows I haven't just turned to the dark side but simply urging some caution because the set up is messy and not a clean Arctic blast. I don't doubt there will be some snow but just trying to lower expectations to what is possible within the initial set up.

After the cr*p winter we have had so far, these models look great, like a breath of fresh arctic air really.

Posted

I'm quite happy with his tweet especially the bit about markedly colder again after some less cold conditions. As I've been saying the deep cold is more likely after the initial messy Euro trough scenario. The Euro troughing I'm hoping will just be a starter!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

The winter you mention above is the reason I love snow so much! For the sort of temperatures recorded around my area then (just outside of Gloucester), worth a quick read here:

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Look-frozen-winter-1981-2/story-14267881-detail/story.html

Will be interesting to see if the GFS 'cleans up' it's northerly track today, or that the messy track is going to be the way forward...........

I remember December 1981. The weather then was progressively coming from the east, so unless that happens next week, it won't be anywhere near as cold or as snowy. Northerlies never live up to their name!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I remember December 1981. The weather then was progressively coming from the east, so unless that happens next week, it won't be anywhere near as cold or as snowy. Northerlies never live up to their name!

You can get polar lows and a number of organised snowy troughs swinging south if the northerly is sustained, and according to the Ecm in particular, this one is still going strong at day 10!

post-4783-0-36713800-1422176854_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41490000-1422176861_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

just going by my amateur knowledge of model/chart watching, its seems like most runs the past fair few days are prolonging this cold spell and with more in the know coming on board... ie: the expert forecasters and meto, this may turn out to be the best cold spell for the last couple of years for most people.

already this year I have seen more snow and lying snow than the past two years with 850 uppers not to different from what is forecast this coming week and beyond, As for snow in any one location, it is pointless commenting on this as it will be a case of now casting on the day... I do believe that some areas will see some troublesome snow though.

Look forward to next weeks model watching :)

Posted

And both of you haven't mentioned that these tweets are all preceded by the word W COUNTRY, so only applicable for that region!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

You can get polar lows and a number of organised snowy troughs swinging south if the northerly is sustained, and according to the Ecm in particular, this one is still going strong at day 10!

like I said, if it is more North easterly, sustained and a slacker flow, then it could be fun and games. Time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

like I said, if it is more North easterly, sustained and a slacker flow, then it could be fun and games. Time will tell.

IMBY Poster alert!

Troughs and little surprises frequently spring up at short notice in Northerly air flows so I wouldn't worry too much about precipitation distribution just yet.

• Like 4

Posted

this was always going to be the fun and games between T72 and T120, as its when the models start playing and then dropping various low energy features which causes the messy charts.

EC ENS shows that the OP was milder at T120 and T144 than it's mean (by a far margin in places), purely because of this early playing.

For Friday, I have no doubt that Ian is talking about the small milder section that comes into the SW for around 12 hrs, it obviously has precip associated with it, but its position and depth of less milder air is impossible to predict. Not least because widespread showers of snow that have settled on the Thursday could easily depress DP's by 1 or 2C.

I tend to find that in these situations the UK T96 and T120, with ENS at this time from the other models gives a better idea of how the pesty low energy features will behaviour, you then need to blend the uk T144 with the GFS and EC T144 to get a better picture.

Any strong support for low energy features will show on the ENS..

• Like 2

Posted

BA do you have news yet on the control run? the ne flow caught my eye , does it build the ridge ne before toppling this?

Yes nick, the control has the mid Atlantic ridge more amplified mid run and it slowly slowly sinks across the uk by day 15. Sub zero uppers last over the southern half uk throughout.

The lower anomalies remain over Europe and I suspect if any ridge does extend across us, it would be a cold one for a fair while.

• Like 5

Posted

Can't understand some of the negativity on here through the run up to the expected cold spell. I'll again say we have the best cross model support for a strong northerly that we have seen for several years in the UK. Perhaps some people would rather see a straight westerly feed with uppers in the + category. People need to chill out and not worry about uppers too high or marginal. The Northern hemisphere is at it's coldest point in the season right now and I will guarantee with the exception of any small frontal features injecting warm sectors within the flow precipitation will be of snow all the way to ground level from Thursday, certainly to the North and for much of the time in the South too especially from next weekend on. I concede a lot of inland Central UK will stay largely dry but coastal West, North and East could do very well for snow and that includes Cornwall. I honestly feel that people tend to spend too much time analysing the charts in too much depth that they often miss the cold spell and snow evolving around them because their heads are stuck in the computer looking for the inevitable end. I sometimes wonder whether folks are obsessed by Model watching rather than the weather itself.

My advice is take a break and just view the models twice a day 00zs and possibly the 12zs and reserve judgement to once a day' It has really helped me as like many on here and the other side I once became obsessed by every model run to the point where it distorted my mind and thoughts. Using the above tact I now see things in a comparable day to day environment rather than run to run

Indeed Martin, it's best to try to step back from the posts which seem to refer to what doesn't exist in the NWP.

if fi is unclear then why bother over analysing it or even picking a random chart from it unless there is some supporting evidence which can be posted with it. of course, that's true for both mild and cold charts.

• Like 4

Posted

Can't understand some of the negativity on here through the run up to the expected cold spell. I'll again say we have the best cross model support for a strong northerly that we have seen for several years in the UK. Perhaps some people would rather see a straight westerly feed with uppers in the + category. People need to chill out and not worry about uppers too high or marginal. The Northern hemisphere is at it's coldest point in the season right now and I will guarantee with the exception of any small frontal features injecting warm sectors within the flow precipitation will be of snow all the way to ground level from Thursday, certainly to the North and for much of the time in the South too especially from next weekend on. I concede a lot of inland Central UK will stay largely dry but coastal West, North and East could do very well for snow and that includes Cornwall. I honestly feel that people tend to spend too much time analysing the charts in too much depth that they often miss the cold spell and snow evolving around them because their heads are stuck in the computer looking for the inevitable end. I sometimes wonder whether folks are obsessed by Model watching rather than the weather itself.

My advice is take a break and just view the models twice a day 00zs and possibly the 12zs and reserve judgement to once a day' It has really helped me as like many on here and the other side I once became obsessed by every model run to the point where it distorted my mind and thoughts. Using the above tact I now see things in a comparable day to day environment rather than run to run

Wow! really positive post from Gibby!

Some fantastic model watching coming-up in the next few days. :cold:

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Well said Gibby, maybe we need a mature model thread!!!!

• Like 3