Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS about as bad as possible to get after the initial cold plunge with mosts low lying areas likely the wrong side of marginal and just to rub it in it looks like going on to produce some FI deep cold. (Pass the sledge hammer)

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

UKMO much. much better and I would rather have that and worry about FI later than GFS jam tomorrow.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

That's a cracking 144 from UKMO.  Would surely provide snow for many?

UN144-21.GIF?25-17

• Like 1

Posted

Funny though how something can just pop up out of the blue in a cold set-up and deliver heavy snow.

168H on gfs and a little feauture develops over northern england delivering heavy snowfall

Rtavn1681.gif

Rtavn1684.gif

Rtavn16817.gif

• Like 1

Posted

A reasonable chart but not sure that it screams longevity UN144-21.GIF?25-17

After this Winter so far i'll take one day of snow, down here, ta v much.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Steve says good

Mucka says bad

Some IMBYism in my post but UKMO is so much better in comparison for cold in the reliable.

GFS is bad unless you are in the South and expect post 144 charts verify as is.

A lot of the ppn would be rain and sleet after Thursday if it verified until post 144. 

If i were in the South I wouldn't mind because I would be unlikely to benefit from the initial blast anyway but for those in low lying areas in the North who are on the verge of snowfest, a slushfest instead with the possibility of cold later isn't great.

Give me this

UN144-21.GIF?25-17

Over this every time.

gfsnh-0-144.png

And that little feature to the SW won't be there next run on GFS anyway.

It's all relative though, I just have a bee in my bonnet with GFS wanting to push the pattern West at the moment.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Despite some quite noticeable differences in the placement of the troughs next weekend between GFS and UKMO, both agree on very cold conditions.

While I am not going to pretend that I wouldn't prefer an Easterly, I think most of us would give our back teeth for this kind of setup when compared to some of the utter dross we have had to contend with over the last winter and a half, so I hope people don't get too hung up on the messy GFS. This is an evolving situation and there are snow chances for many coming up.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS would keep Fergie and his METO friends very busy. 850s marginal, but lots of other supporting factors for snow. Cold at the surface due to the winds dropping out and its notable that even within the warm sectors the thickness stays below 528 at all times despite 850s of -3c in some places. Total nightmare for forecasters!!!!

Certainly happening at the right time though. Couple of weeks later and extra solar input would have put us the wrong side of marginal and without a cold feed the 850s would have just warmed out.

Posted

Despite some quite noticeable differences in the placement of the troughs next weekend between GFS and UKMO, both agree on very cold conditions.

While I am not going to pretend that I wouldn't prefer an Easterly, I think most of us would give our back teeth for this kind of setup when compared to some of the utter dross we have had to contend with over the last winter and a half, so I hope people don't get too hung up on the messy GFS. This is an evolving situation and there are snow chances for many coming up.

Yes this is correct but GFS has been winding me up for a couple of days and bringing out my anthropomorphic tendencies.  :oops:

Apologies for rant but GFS is still pants IMO given the possibilities.   :diablo:

Edited by Mucka

Posted

To be honest i think i am getting confused with what people are saying

We have comments like 'Freezing Cold' 'Snow' '10 Day + Cold spell'

Or...

We have comments like 'Major Downgrade' ' Atlantic Train' 'Mild Westerly returning'

Please everyone don't misleading people esp newbies who do not know how to read/look at models that well.

It goes to a extreme to just look at the models yourself to be honest.

Rant over and lets look at the models...

GFS i will say is not as good as the UKMO,ECM because

1. It less cold then the UKMO or the ECM

2.It does't look it going to snowfest 'south of the m4' that well. (Yes it be snowing but not 2010 style)

And just to say whatever if the models are to downgrade or upgrade that will be a 'cold' 'spell' or 'topper' (Depending on opinions)

Just enjoy the roller-coaster ride of it all.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

At 210 and we're still in a cold northerly.  I would happily take either UKMO or GFS given what we've had to endure so far this and last winter.  They're both showing a significant cold spell with chances for all for some of the white stuff!  Maybe not the best for my location, but some places could do very well.

gfsnh-0-204.png?12

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Midweek period brings much colder and windier weather with squally snow showers piling into the NW and some making it further south and east, yellow warnings already in force for that and will be updated tomorrow. Then it becomes briefly less cold on Friday apart from Scotland where it stays cold, however, next weekend brings much colder weather south to all other areas, it looks like a very wintry spell on the way, especially for the N & E.

post-4783-0-93098900-1422203956_thumb.gi

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015012512/gfsnh-0-144.png?12 Well a steps song comes to mind!"A Deeper shade of blue"lol. Edited by snowice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been busy last 36 hours and not looked on thread since Friday afternoon and pleasantly surprised with positive trends.Have browsed through last 10-12 pages to get a jist of things and encouraging signs from Met Office for a cold spell coming,something which has been pretty much lacking this winter up until now.Also read Joe Bs Saturday update today and whilst concentrating pretty much on North America (which is really going into Freezer from now for quite a lengthy period) he talks about NH as a whole and certainly after next 7-10 days there are signs of Heights rising over Pole. This may bring further good news to NW Europe including UK and will be interesting to see if Models pick this up this week.

Fascinating Model watching ahead of us this week and interesting to see Model users approaching 700.If trends in next couple of days continue that 1000+ I feel will be reached :) 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Edit : UKMO 144

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2015012512/UW144-21.GIF?25-17

A Marked trough over the UK bringing very wintry conditions- very similar to the thundersnow event in terms of synoptics

S

Indeed Steve as for the the gfs well it's good as well.

528 well south great thickness and low enough 850s upper air.

Posted

This is, in my opinion, a perilous setup and I urge caution at the moment. The main reason is that the likelihood of it all getting shunted east remains high with the jet barrelling out of the US:

In the absence of upstream blocking or any significant amplification that jet is very likely to encourage further cyclogenesis. I know nothing much is showing yet, but it's only a matter of time before a jet like that generates further low pressures with our name on them.

I hope that's wrong but without upstream signals I'm not going to get excited by this until T24 to T36.

(I'll leave aside the other issue about poor uppers as it has been covered above but, yes, they do matter imho.)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Yes this is correct but GFS has been winding me up for a couple of days and bringing out my anthropomorphic tendencies. :oops:

Apologies for rant but GFS is still pants IMO given the possibilities. :diablo:

Oh I agree, the GFS looks like an absolute dog's dinner on Fri/Sat and I certainly would prefer the UKMO solution. There always has to be one model who won't play ball in these setups and tries to muddy the waters!

Relatively speaking though it all makes a pleasant change from seeing that flaming Azores High just to the SW and a raging PV over Greenland.

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 1