Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Brings tears of happiness to ones eyes!  :cold: 

gfsnh-0-186.png?0

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Brings tears of happiness to ones eyes!  :cold: 

gfsnh-0-186.png?0

LOL PS, brings tears of pain to mine.  :wallbash:

I'm sure we can do much better with this synoptic than what GFS offers this morning though the chart you posted in isolation looks good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Thats's a very cold W/NW'ly on the 00z for Wed/Thur, a slight upgrade with the uppers with -7 to -9c reaching our shores before mixing out, plenty of snow modelled for the N&W anyway and scope for some back edge snow further south. GFS ppn charts so a pinch of salt needed! Hopefully it'll be cleaner than the GFS evolution for later in the week though. 

post-9615-0-75297100-1422165343_thumb.gipost-9615-0-32355700-1422165354_thumb.gipost-9615-0-02277500-1422165360_thumb.gipost-9615-0-73952500-1422165367_thumb.gi

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 4

Posted

Seems to be a bit of a trend to shift the core of the trough a little further west.....UKMO still promising the wintriest spell for a couple of years..

Bottom clinching time with the GFS, you certainly wouldn't want it any further west...all a bit messy really....

post-2071-0-27483600-1422166324_thumb.gi

UKMO...

post-2071-0-29344700-1422166309_thumb.gi

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

In some ways I prefer the GFS as it's more likely to bring precipitation.

The MetO could be bone dry away from the coast.

Either way an interesting week ahead.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Slightly worrying this morning, the evolution at the end of the week seems to be dependent on the position and alignment of the Siberian lobe of the polar vortex. This is due to the good solutions being able to phase the low with the Siberian lobe which makes the low track east and quicker which hence sets up the cleaner northerly. For a few runs now, the GFS has not wanted this nice alignment of the Siberian lobe into Scandinavia and instead we effectively end up with a ball of very low heights moving slower and more in an ESE direction, hence it ends up near Scotland and loiters around.

Models at day 6

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Siberian vortex is nowhere near where we want it to be, hence the slow moving trough over or just east of the UK with a cyclonic pattern, hence less cold.

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?25-05

Here the Siberian lobe is aligned perfectly and digs well into Europe, hence the main low is centres further north east and allows the cleaner northerly.

Last night, the GEM and ECM backed the UKMO solution and hence the GFS was isolated, is it the same this morning?

ECM

ECH1-144.GIF?25-12

Half way house, the extension of the Siberian lobe is weaker, but it is sufficient to deliver a cold spell, in fact it is very fun later on as areas of low pressure run into the deep trough.

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

This is looking more GFS like, and it's overall run reflects this with no real window of cold before the Atlantic rolls in later.

Wednesday into Thursday looks good at the moment as the initial PM blast looks very potent for what it is. Beyond that, the models do deviate, ultimately we want the Siberian lobe of the polar vortex to align through Northern Russia into Scandinavia and dig south, this allows the quicker movement of the low midweek and hence a cleaner and better northerly.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

No worries from me just variations of a cold theme

ECH1-240.GIF?25-12

ECH0-240.GIF?25-12

GFS a wam outlier in the latter stages but who really cares,it is going to get cold and surprise snow events is becoming the winter theme

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

• Like 5

Posted

GFS is definitely watering down the Arctic blast, hopefully it's not onto something although that's a few runs now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Predicted snowfall from the initial N/Westerly it will not allow for embedded features,which will occur, into the weekend and indeed next week.

uk.snow.next3to6days.cc23.jpg

ECM0-168.GIF?25-12

ECM1-192.GIF?25-12

• Like 4

Posted

Very cold and wintry outputs continue this morning amd ukmo and ecm look coldest of the bunch!! Hopefully gfs turns those 850s colder!! Is it me or is that northwesterly for wednesday/Thursday now tuurning more into a westerly?

Posted

I thought I would take a closer look at Wed/Thurs because beyond this is all rather messy at the moment.

A significant drop in temperature is going to occur during Wednesday as highlighted below.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs904.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs934.gif

Now as this cold strong W,ly spreads across the UK, showers will start spreading into W parts and could spread across much of the UK although the inland penetration is more likely S of the Pennines. As upper temps could be -8C, dewpoints below freezing then these showers are likely to fall as snow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs1022.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs1028.gif

Areas that could do rather well here are Wales, W Midlands especially N Wales. However like I say its pot luck here and many could see snowfall. infact you could argue Wed night/Thurs morning has the greatest potential for snowfall for the entire period of this coming cold spell.

• Like 8

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

well things  might get a bit interesting on Wednesday if you go along  with the  models

post-4629-0-85645400-1422173427_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

For those who are looking at the 850hPa temperature profile and determining that it won't be cold enough for widespread low lying snow;

Rrea00119811209.gif

Rrea00219811209.gif

London was hit by heavy snowfall that day and record low temperatures followed over the coming days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

No worries from me just variations of a cold theme

GFS a wam outlier in the latter stages but who really cares,it is going to get cold and surprise snow events is becoming the winter theme

Fair enough but it has been obvious for a time the cold is coming via a Euro trough so that is not really an issue. We have moved on to what can we make of this 5-7 day cold period (and will it last a bit longer). 

GEM has joined the GEFS trend from yesterday of shortening the cold spell and by D9: post-14819-0-14380000-1422172278_thumb.p

The GFS op and Control still remain promising for a continuation of the cold spell after D10 and they have been consistent in  that regard so although different to the ECM pattern wise it gives us options going forward. The GEFS are still against the Atlantic Ridge holding on and by D10 the GEFS uppers mean confirms that with a return to average uppers:

post-14819-0-83941400-1422172532_thumb.p

Some push the trough east and a cluster like the control topples the Atlantic Ridge for a MLB over the UK and slack easterly:

post-14819-0-72610000-1422172680_thumb.p

It is about a 40% cluster but the Control was one of least complicated in that regime. That would easily be the best outcome in FI if the ridge does not hold and bearing in mind at no time has the GEFS suggested it would be more sustainable than the 5-7 day window, it is a good move away from the Atlantic moving back in.

ECM has not surprising backed down on the uppers from last night and they are now in line with the GEFS take for the south with less than marginal uppers (-2 to -4c) for 48 hours or so around D5:

post-14819-0-12457400-1422173052_thumb.g

With that core low crossing the UK at that time the GFS had consistently washed out the uppers so it was a surprise when the ECM sat the SE in a cold pool! Again the ECM is messy after D7 so I am not sure I have any confidence in it from there:

post-14819-0-08233600-1422173255_thumb.g

The UKMO does not impress me in these pattern change situations and has been playing catch up most of this winter. Compare it's D7 chart yesterday morning to this morning and you can see how slow it is to adjust to the short wave spoilers:

Yesterday for the 30th: post-14819-0-59801100-1422173596_thumb.g Today for the same time: post-14819-0-12235900-1422173597_thumb.g

So the upcoming spell looks like giving uppers of 2-4c below average, so nothing like a real Arctic blast, though with the wind chill, likely to feel a lot colder than that. Snow mostly as showers to the NW and West with potential elsewhere for something at short notice. From the weekend models and ensembles deviate, so how the Atlantic Ridge breaks down still to be determined.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted

Ecm 0z is gorgeous this morning, even better than yesterday's peachy output. The initial cold blast is now at T+72 with an exceptionally cold westerly, sst's rather lower now so much higher risk of snow showers than earlier in the season, and then the flow veers around to pure Arctic. the cold heart of winter 2014 / 2015 is just around the corner. Time to throw caution to the wind, it's going to turn much colder with snow, frosts and ice, and with strong winds at times, drifting snow, I just love drifting snow..bring it on!

Yes and no Karl.

Yes, it brings colder uppers in the latter part of its run but it's drier as a result. Could be ok with troughs in the flow.

No, the front at day6 is accompanied by higher DP's than yesterday. It would not give decent lying snow to much of the uk as yesterday's did.

• Like 5

Posted

Yes nick, the spread is a Greenland ridge (or at the very least a displaced mid Atlantic high)

post-6981-0-79636100-1422175095_thumb.jp

Nw American ridge, Azores ridge mid Atlantic orientation, sceuro trough. Fill in the blanks.

• Like 3

Posted

For those who are looking at the 850hPa temperature profile and determining that it won't be cold enough for widespread low lying snow;

Rrea00119811209.gif

Rrea00219811209.gif

London was hit by heavy snowfall that day and record low temperatures followed over the coming days.

Absolutely. The 850mb temp profile is only one aspect. Here's a chart I wheel out every year to show it is not the be all end all. This fairly innocuous looking chart produced insane amounts of snow for areas in the south and south west, right onto the coast, I can still remember it as a kid.

post-5114-0-07067900-1422174855_thumb.jp

I'm not trying to draw any similarities to the upcoming cold spell, just pointing out not to simply look at the upper temps and assume yay or boo to whether it will snow in your garden. They are a good guide, probably the best single guide but too simplistic to rely on solely

• Like 3

Posted

Yes nick, the spread is a Greenland ridge (or at the very least a displaced mid Atlantic high)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nw American ridge, Azores ridge mid Atlantic orientation, sceuro trough. Fill in the blanks.

Thanks BA, I like those spreads! You never know I may even cheer up if that verifies! I look forward to seeing the extended ECM ensembles.

• Like 1

Posted

Another "everything but the kitchen sink" chart from the ECM this morning at 120 hrs.

post-2839-0-56825800-1422175181_thumb.gipost-2839-0-86385800-1422175179_thumb.gi

Ecm mean at day 10 continues the cold spell.

post-2839-0-58697800-1422175585_thumb.gi

• Like 1