Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

That wasn't really suggested on Ian's forecast last week, it went up to mid-Feb at that point with week three being the first week of Feb, and it suggested a cold period (as we're getting), then a milder period after that, so still much as it was with no prolonged significant freeze, but obviously we're a week further on and the chance of a colder reload later. Obviously Ian's thinking that a Scandi high ridging to the North of the UK isn't how it's playing out, but there really was no suggestion of prolonged cold beyond the first week of Feb.

We're heading off topic though, so feel free to drop me a pm if you want a copy of that forecast or to discuss more.

Paul can you have a look at my profile please and turn on my private messages cause iv been looking for 20 damn minutes so I'm either very thick or very tired , can't send any PM's !

Posted

The new one is different

not so many embedded troughs and the warm sector seems further west through fri as a small low swings se. ECM has this off the east coast throughout so plenty to firm up on yet, even three days away!

is this a good thing or a bad thing from the ecm?
  • Like 1

The charts are still showing rather cold weather setting in from tomorrow. Main snow threat North facing coasts and hills. Mainly dry North Midlands south. Frost at night for most. Any showers dying out as we go through the weekend and into next week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Thats my take , it seems every time high lat blocking signals are there a few days later they're removed , I understand they still mention ridging toward Iceland so maybe stil a chance but I'm not sure how such strong signals can get blown away in the matter of days

Here , Here.. Ian was very clear on a scandy high , we have never got even close to that forecast , cold spell yes , but absolutely no blocking whatsoever , so whats changed in a very short time...??? hopefully we can benefit from a few disturbances that may develop in this unstable northerly , other wise the south will just be cold but dry as I see it..  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The charts are still showing rather cold weather setting in from tomorrow. Main snow threat North facing coasts and hills. Mainly dry North Midlands south. Frost at night for most. Any showers dying out as we go through the weekend and into next week.

disagree with that, North Midlands looks very wet on Friday not dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Disagree with your weekend outlook.Not your standard wishbone northerly this time.Instability is the key.GFS precip charts,although not entirely reliable give a clue.

• Like 5

Posted

Morning all

Well the shortwave ahead of the low over the ne Canada is now causing problems, its no surprise that the post T168hrs outputs are somewhat less exciting this morning as that feature is reluctant to head south/se.

The GFS takes ages to eject  this and its only saved because the upstream pattern re-amplifies sufficiently to help eject this, its a close run thing and really very low margin for error.

The ECM today takes the shortwave east and runs energy over the top so little chance of developing a decent ridge north of the UK.

The UKMO looks better going forward, its difficult to know whats going to happen from T168hrs until the models agree on how and where the shortwave will track and how amplified the upstream pattern might be at that crucial time period.

Earlier chances for snow but still some issues with marginality before the Euro troughing edges east whereby a cleaner northerly can edge in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A chart to back up posts would certainly help other members understand, At this range any Snow showers & where they will fall be fickle 24hrs out.. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Rain or snow, at only 48 hours out, this chart does not look dry from the North Midlands south does it?

post-12760-0-95201300-1422347679_thumb.g

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The latest charts show a northerly flow, giving wintry showers, heavy on North facing coasts at times. Scattered further south and inland.

So generally a fine spell of weather coming up with temperatures slightly below normal with night time frosts. Later in the period it's looking like settled conditions may continue with frosts becoming harder but days fine and dry.

This isn't what the charts show - they show a deeply unstable westerly/northwesterly/northerly airflow with lots of ppn around this week and again at the weekend, particularly in north and west but across a lot of the rest of the country too. Temps will struggle, and whilst marginal in the far south at times this won't always be the case. Looking at the charts, 'scattered showers' is certainly not the term I'd use. Pinpoint detail, even at 48 hours out, is pointless but there will be lots of instability around and so ppn will be more widespread than just north-facing coasts.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 4

Posted

I note some comments suggesting the S will remain dry during this period. The south will be drier but this does not mean no snowfall. Look at the fax at +48 and you will see a trough approaching Wales that will sweep snow showers across England during Wednesday night.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax48s.gif?2

Now it is rather unusual to see snow showers from a W,ly but like I said a few days ago these could penetrate well inland. Normally they lose intensity as they move inland but a cluster of snow showers has the potential to cross from Wales to E Anglia.

Moving on and the snow risk lessens during Friday but should return during the weekend as a surge of colder N,lys sweep in bringing a renewed risk of snowfall. Beyond and although the evidence points towards this cold spell ending around next Wednesday, I am not yet convinced it will. What could happen is instead of a return to milder W,lys we see high pressure become centred across the UK. Obviously the snow risk fades but the cold temps remain. Another option is an NE/E,ly which cannot be ruled out.

I will add much of the above is aimed at S parts of the UK. Some parts of NW England/Scotland/Ireland could see heavy snowfalls.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Much better medium range modelling this morning which is what we should focus on, a strong arctic maritime blast is now expected to develop on Saturday and persist well into next week, today's output so far has added at least a few days to the wintry spell compared to 24 hours ago so the trend is very good. In the short term, from tomorrow, squally wintry showers becoming heavier and more frequent, turning to snow, especially across the NW with local moderate accumulations, icy conditions becoming more widespread late tomorrow and through Thursday into Friday, a less cold blip is then followed by that strengthening Northerly flow through next weekend with snow showers spreading south...not bad huh :-)

post-4783-0-05714600-1422348689_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-39884100-1422348694_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

I note some comments suggesting the S will remain dry during this period. The south will be drier but this does not mean no snowfall. Look at the fax at +48 and you will see a trough approaching Wales that will sweep snow showers across England during Wednesday night.

Now it is rather unusual to see snow showers from a W,ly but like I said a few days ago these could penetrate well inland. Normally they lose intensity as they move inland but a cluster of snow showers has the potential to cross from Wales to E Anglia.

Moving on and the snow risk lessens during Friday but should return during the weekend as a surge of colder N,lys sweep in bringing a renewed risk of snowfall. Beyond and although the evidence points towards this cold spell ending around next Wednesday, I am not yet convinced it will. What could happen is instead of a return to milder W,lys we see high pressure become centred across the UK. Obviously the snow risk fades but the cold temps remain. Another option is an NE/E,ly which cannot be ruled out.

I will add much of the above is aimed at S parts of the UK. Some parts of NW England/Scotland/Ireland could see heavy snowfalls.

Yes possibilities are endless even the weekend looks good for us in western wales with a fair few showers according to the last 4 runs.. We seem to do quite well from patterns similar to this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

I think you could be right about high pressure moving over us later next week. Looks like what BBC weather are going for as well.

post-13048-0-83317800-1422348860_thumb.j

Posted

Can we order the ECM control run for this evening:

post-1206-0-07682200-1422350014_thumb.pn

The control run looking at the wind directions brings in an easterly for Holland and more than likely the UK also:

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I think you could be right about high pressure moving over us later next week. Looks like what BBC weather are going for as well.

She looks like she's trying to squeeze one out. 

But yes the favored option is for High pressure to push in towards the UK next week, looking through the ensembles this morning though it seems to be ditching that idea and instead going for an all too quick return the westerly's.  but this is just one run and the theme for the past few days has been for High pressure to nose in from the west

wouldn't take much of a Westward movement for that Low over Italy to come into play though

gfs-0-222.png?0

• Like 7

Posted

Can we order the ECM control run for this evening:

attachicon.gifeps_pluim_tt_06260.png

The control run looking at the wind directions brings in an easterly for Holland and more than likely the UK also:

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Yes, that would mean we could skate on the other side of the North Sea!

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, that would mean we could skate on the other side of the North Sea!

Yes its been a long time since you've been able to do that in Holland. Fingers crossed tonights ECM operational run picks up the control run tonight.

Posted

Yes its been a long time since you've been able to do that in Holland. Fingers crossed tonights ECM operational run picks up the control run tonight.

Nick - the control amplifies the ridge which then becomes a general n euro block. Transferring East and maintaining surface cold with the Atlantic eventually getting through around day 12/13. No screaming easterly i'm afraid. Infact, I do wonder if a standard return to the Atlantic might just bring another reload of sorts within a week?

Anyway, what do you think re the spreads on ecm. Uppers look like the Atlantic getting well in whereas heighs look like a n Atlantic ridge. I'm confused although the uppers must mean the heights spread reflects deep systems to our nw.

• Like 1

Posted

Nick - the control amplifies the ridge which then becomes a general n euro block. Transferring East and maintaining surface cold with the Atlantic eventually getting through around day 12/13. No screaming easterly i'm afraid. Infact, I do wonder if a standard return to the Atlantic might just bring another reload of sorts within a week?

Anyway, what do you think re the spreads on ecm. Uppers look like the Atlantic getting well in whereas heighs look like a n Atlantic ridge. I'm confused although the uppers must mean the heights spread reflects deep systems to our nw.

Lol! Maybe I'm a bit slow today but trying to decipher those spreads is doing my brain in!  It seems straightforward upto T192hrs, the spread seem to have a slightly more amplified upstream troughing, a shortwave runs south/se between T168 and T192hrs. I think BA the spread to the nw is low pressure at T240hrs I think the Azores high is nosing into the sw, some low heights remain over northern Italy.

What do you think?

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Dewpointwatch update (number of GFS frames above freezing for South Midlands area between Wednesday 3pm and Sunday 9pm:

25/1/06z - 10

25/1/12z - 1

25/1/18z - 2

26/1/00z - 7

26/1/06z - 12

26/1/12z - 9

26/1/18z - 4

27/1/00z - 7

Less favourable period for snowfall remains on Friday and Saturday's has been enlarged again.

Before that, dewpoints look OK Thursday evening:

post-992-0-74872700-1422353525_thumb.png

but NMM isn't having any of it:

post-992-0-22597700-1422353591_thumb.png :(

• Like 2