Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Curse strikes again, dry here while 5 miles west gets heavy snow shower and now nothing for the week  :cc_confused:

Edited by conor123

Posted

Snow showers here for the past 40 minutes or so. Very unexpectbed and not forecast. Temp dropped back to 1.2C, so during heavier bursts snow is pitching on car and wooden surfaces.

Curse strikes again, dry here while 5 miles west gets heavy snow shower and now nothing for the week  :cc_confused:

Conor you really need to get out of Telford, it's causing you great angst living there :-)

Posted

They can drop the warnings now. These showers aren't much of a threat. Even the icy roads warning could go as the air is so dry.

That wind is bitter though!

Posted

Temperatures already going above the forecast. 4c now and the predicted high was 2c.

Interesting development for Wednesday. Snow warning issued and just brushes our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

yeah, infact looking at models/latest few runs, can write the first half of Feb off for snow, will be frosts some nights, other nights damp

Oh well ! There's always June!    Fancy a BBQ.... Oh sorry wrong thread!

Currently.... nothing to report.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Temps or uppers wont be a problem. But ppn might be maybe light snow wed. Some nice frosts to look forward to if its not cloudy.

Posted

Looking fairly cold this week :cold: especially the nights with HARD FROSTS  

Love to see scenes like this in the morning when going for an early walk in Elmdon Park :) 

HOAR-FROST-2000-970x970.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

I wouldn't write anything off yet.

A strong northeasterly can set up nice little streamers for here, 1st December 2010 is the best example I can think of.

However, a lot of luck is involved too. First, as always with streamers, you've got to be well placed. A lot of places around here can end up sandwiched inbetween them. Secondly, we would need the right angle of wind to get the showers under the Peak District. If they have to come over them then they get zapped by the hills. If they enter land in the Humber and Lincolnshire coast area then we may be in luck. It's a big ask though.

So I understand the warnings for Wednesday but there seems to be a lot of things we would need to fall into place first. Never say never though.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Looking fairly cold this week :cold: especially the nights with HARD FROSTS  

Love to see scenes like this in the morning when going for an early walk in Elmdon Park :)

Nice pic, Dancer.

Strange fact: despite living in Solihull for my entire 40yrs, I have never once visited Elmdon Park. Not once. Never felt the need to, with Bruteon Park, Knowle Park, and Dorridge Park much closer by to where I live.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi all,

Very low dewpoints starting to be shown throughout Scotland now.

The colder air is finally getting pushed through.

As many have suggested, it was bound to happen when the precipitation had stopped.

Still a greater chance of hard frosts this week.

Humidity down to 56% with a real temp of 3.9C gives us a dewoint of -4.0C and stll falling.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

You have to love the irony we all wanted colder temps and better uppers but they are coming from a bone dry source we would have been better with nw w air flow producing troughs and cheshire gap action marginal but interesting they were.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

ARCTIC BLAST? man if this is an arctic blast then i wander what would a true arctic blast fiel like. I have a lot of respect for the UKMO but the way they dish out yello warnings now a days sometimes i just wander how much notice people will take in the end. This cold sbell have been way over hiped in my view and yes I know some membors upto 10-15cm of lying snow but this are the usial places and it's nothing unusial for these places to get snow cover like that because these higher ground or hilltops, most of us on lower ground haven't even seen a covering yet this winter and folks down south i dout they even seen a dusting. As i said on the monthley set forecast thread I don't thinkFebruary is going to be anything to be sing about this winter most likely the atlantic will have the upper hand some coldhearted winter this turning out to be. I see some of the models suggesting that europs about to go in the freezer where as we will be left with a u.k high and possibley the mursey of the atlantic come mid to late month. We are now in feb the winter clock is now ticking away and the sun will slowely get stronger and yes i know march 2013 we had that wintery blast but something like that is a once in a 50year event. All in all winter 2014-2015 has so far been really poor at least winter 2013-2014 was exciting though we didn't have any snow it was interesting.

• Like 2

Posted

Same here, Knowle & Dorridge never been but Bruteon Park yes!... been a few times only in the Summer though :good:

Great sledging in my beloved elmdon, when the SNOW is here that is ....you'll have to try it one evening Bish :D

• Like 1

Posted

No such thing as a once in 50 year event in the weather. Mother nature doesn't have the concept of spacing things out equally. Better to use the terms 'likely' and 'unlikely'.

Hence why Jan 87 and Feb 91 were so close together. As were Jan 10 and Dec 10. And on the other end of the scale Aug 03 and Jul 06.

Even 47 and 63 are reletavely close in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Just back from the Peak District, just past Leek. The road was supposed to be closed to Buxton but was clear. As were most side roads, the farmers have been busy. The wind chill was awful. Knee deep+ snow in parts, the drifting is quite severe. Will post pics later.

Posted

Stopped now but a nice surprise 5 minute flurry , reminds me of my birthday in the Cotswolds in feb 13 had snow flurrys all weekend

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Stopped now but a nice surprise 5 minute flurry , reminds me of my birthday in the Cotswolds in feb 13 had snow flurrys all weekend

I can see it passing to my east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

In Worcester right now, and it's not a bad winter's day at all if you're well wrapped up for the wind. Quite a lot of thinnish cloud around, but some good sunny spells as well. If we can't get snow, then this is much preferable to the horrible wet stuff from last night.

A mischievous thought: I wonder how many times forecasters on TV/radio/papers/online have opined that "from tonight, any showers are most likely to fall as snow" since the middle of last week? It's certainly several times, and they've all been (for MBY at least) wholly or partly wrong! :p (And yes, I do understand probability. It's just that this much bad luck is getting aggravating...)

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

By this evening colder -9/-10 uppers will have pushed South over the Midlands. They are slowly on there way as we speak. And the coldest of this spell..

21-583UK.GIF?01-024-290UK.GIF?01-021-7UK.GIF?01-0

Yes unlike yesterday today theres a big difference as 3.1c max and a really slow thaw,yesterday was higher dew points,just felt damp at 4c max with a quick thaw.