Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

that's certainly it for sunday, NW midlands looks worst placed for snow off this coming setup than anywhere else in the UK

Really?

How do you know that will be the case?

Edited by The Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Really?

How do you know that will be the case?

I think so, winds too westerly tomorrow night/thurs am for snow, when winds turn to the perfect angle NW, its too warm for snow, then Sunday snow is in the east, Monday wishbone, Tues high pressure building in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Need to stop looking at forecast we had light snow thought the morning on Thurs. Now all changed to rain from 8 am to 4Pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Posted

I think so, winds too westerly tomorrow night/thurs am for snow, when winds turn to the perfect angle NW, its too warm for snow, then Sunday snow is in the east, Monday wishbone, Tues high pressure building in

I'm thinking the same. I'm not gonna let it disappoint me any more than it already has......it can do what it wants :-D

Posted

I'm thinking the same. I'm not gonna let it disappoint me any more than it already has......it can do what it wants :-D

we need a beast from the east, to give snow, so rare these days in Feb it's unreal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Hopefully we will do well tomorrow night and Thursday with

the showers.

My concern is Sunday a lot of us in the West Midlands will be too

far west and have the agony of watching the east get a pounding whilst

we get nothing.

just for a change. west mids has to get the least amount of snow of anywhere north of M4

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

See Shefali isn't giving anything away for tomorrow onwards, the forecast only went to mid-morning.

They have the top temp tomorrow as 9'c, but falling. I bet it gets nowhere near that warm anywhere.

(BBC's mild bias again)

No bias at all - we are in a mild sector and around 10c first thing tomorrow then a sharp drop off afternoon:

post-2595-0-96257400-1422392451_thumb.pnpost-2595-0-13666300-1422392464_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

See Shefali isn't giving anything away for tomorrow onwards, the forecast only went to mid-morning.

They have the top temp tomorrow as 9'c, but falling. I bet it gets nowhere near that warm anywhere.

(BBC's mild bias again)

I thought that myself but that was the lunchtime forecast the evening forecast showed a rash of showers for weds evening up til 2300 hrs then the forecast finished  :cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Taken a bit of a break from here over the past week...and then promptly got a nasty tummy bug but all recovered now! (Those two points aren't related....at least I don't think so anyway!)

Personally, I haven't even bothered checking what's going to happen until today. I've looked at the forecasts, I've read your comments. And I can't see anything new happening. Cold NW winds possibly bringing showers at times. I'd rather it stayed dry to be honest. This winter is turning into proof that these NWerly set ups really only benefit those further north with the odd bit of luck thrown in further south (Boxing Day, 13th Jan)

I've found it's been much more healthy not trying to analyse everything little thing. Fell into that trap last week. Ended up walking up to my car in the rain on Wednesday morning on the main road. I had parked my car there because I didn't want to be digging it out of the snow down my road. :fool:

So if you get snow, enjoy. I'll be checking in to read any reports and reporting anything interesting I might have going on here. But it's business as usual for me over the next few days. I most certainly will not be looking for every single little speck that appears within 70 miles of me on the radar this time!

Now get a proper cold blast in then we're talking!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted

Hahaha torrential snow..... Yeah right! Thank you netweather.......

With this for thursday too....

post-16439-0-91556200-1422394650_thumb.j

post-16439-0-49583100-1422394662_thumb.j

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 1

Posted

Now if only  that  can drift over to Buxton ...............!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The Peak District looks to the best placed in our region for proper snow over the next few days.

Tomorrow night and into Thursday brings a threat of snow for most of us but outside of this I can see it being very hit and miss with some places getting snow and others not, as is the way with showers. A mild sector may spoil the party for a time on Friday before it turns colder again. Over the weekend it does look like a wishbone scenario on first glance, but I would expect snow showers to band at times and this bring a risk for our regions too. Again though, nothing is definite - it may happen in your back yard and it may not. I would not like to be a forecaster this week.... well actually I would, it would be my dream job even when forecasting is difficult.

Myself, I am off work the rest of this week so will likely head up into the Peak District on Thursday which currently looks the best day in the reliable time frame. This way I feel certain I will get to see some decent snow.

Edit: Buxton looks very well placed, as does Glossop, for plenty of snow showers.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Blimey your going to need a JCB by Friday morning...the government are gonna be air lifting supplies to you... :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

More marginal for snow on the 18z for the Midlands.

The airflow is more north westerly than northerly, and we sit on the border of the 850 line more of the time, so some will get snow, but others not.

Looks like another wait and see event.

Posted

The Peak District looks to the best placed in our region for proper snow over the next few days.

Tomorrow night and into Thursday brings a threat of snow for most of us but outside of this I can see it being very hit and miss with some places getting snow and others not, as is the way with showers. A mild sector may spoil the party for a time on Friday before it turns colder again. Over the weekend it does look like a wishbone scenario on first glance, but I would expect snow showers to band at times and this bring a risk for our regions too. Again though, nothing is definite - it may happen in your back yard and it may not. I would not like to be a forecaster this week.... well actually I would, it would be my dream job even when forecasting is difficult.

Myself, I am off work the rest of this week so will likely head up into the Peak District on Thursday which currently looks the best day in the reliable time frame. This way I feel certain I will get to see some decent snow.

Edit: Buxton looks very well placed, as does Glossop, for plenty of snow showers.

Would like to think so but we shall see.... Have had six days with snowflakes falling and ten days with snow on the ground so far this winter so a lot better than last year by a mile.... Hope everyone gets some to get their snow fix.... If not peeps head for the hills at some point! â„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

• Like 2

Posted

Blimey your going to need a JCB by Friday morning...the government are gonna be air lifting supplies to you... :rofl:

Its said torrential snow saturday b4 last when we had showers coming over from irish sea, it wasnt torrential needless to say.... â„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Looks like things are looking better regarding Snowfall for parts of the Midlands :)

The 18z GFS is showing more widespread showery activity with a streamer in that strong Northwesterly.

42-574UK_wfn7.GIF45-574UK_exp1.GIF48-574UK_ace7.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Would like to think so but we shall see.... Have had six days with snowflakes falling and ten days with snow on the ground so far this winter so a lot better than last year by a mile.... Hope everyone gets some to get their snow fix.... If not peeps head for the hills at some point! â„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

Same here.. although you have had deeper cover and a couple of days more falling snow... 'Goes to rightmove property search Glossop' lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

We managed one decent snowfall in Derby on Boxing Day and this then lasted on the ground for 4-5 days afterwards. There was nothing here from the last cold spell. The Peak District always does well with snow from any direction, on Weds night and Thursday the NW exposure would likely get a pasting. So Buxton; A53 Buxton-Leek; Cat and Fiddle on route to Macclesfield; Buxton to Glossop. If you want to see proper snow head up there, but be careful as those roads get blocked very quick when the snow sets in.

• Like 2

Posted

More marginal for snow on the 18z for the Midlands.

The airflow is more north westerly than northerly, and we sit on the border of the 850 line more of the time, so some will get snow, but others not.

Looks like another wait and see event.

for what period? certainly nothing marginal Sat night up to Tues?problem with that, its FI