Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Lets be clear- the forecast seems to be going exactly as forecast. Some places might get a covering- most wont tonight. The areas most likely to get a covering are areas that have already been lucky this winter as clearly indicated by the warnings the met office has issued.

In Nottingham there have been some passing snow showers but they haven't really come to anything.

• Like 1

Posted

You only have to look at the radar and see the showers they are getting, further North, to

realise why they are under a warning and we are not in most parts of the

Midlands.

I would say nothing more than a very light dusting for most tonight, now

The showers we are getting are nowhere near as good, or intense, as those

further North.

A real shame but that is the luck for a lot of the Midlands so far this winter.

Yes it is a shame we are not getting a shed load of snow, however I must say, the radar looks a lot better than I was expecting it to be! So i'm pleasantly surprised, even if it will not amount to much!

Posted

I think everyone here is clear about expectations when you read back through the posts. It's been really relaxed this time around in this thread. At least I think it has.

All that's happening is that we're simply enjoying a bit of snow falling. That's all.

Posted

For what it's worth I'm in Oslo and it rained all day only turning to wet snow after dark. It is only settling on the remains of previous snowfalls!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Snows falling here..... only light though, but it's falling :D

Currently 2.1c DP's -2.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Yh just happy to see snow falling and even in the north its hit and miss and tonight was never meant to be anything major just a lucky few might get a covering tomoz looks better. And after the weekend has real potential. And all the showers that have fallen here have been pure snow

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Apparently the uppers at the moment are -7, if that's the case why is the temperature still above freezing? We had a snow shower earlier so the uppers are obviously OK as are dps, just the damn temperature refuses to drop yet again. Dry and clear now and still 3C. Any snow won't stick in that unless it's really heavy and does the evap cooling thing.

This "polar maritime" air is nearly always junk below 300m. It either gives temps that won't drop below 1 or 2C despite cold uppers and low dps, or it gives rain at temperatures of 1 or 2C. Once in a blue moon it produces a temporary cover (14th Jan), but only like 1 in 10 occurrences does that. High ground. Always bloody high ground with this PM stuff. If it likes mountains so much why doesn't it eff off to Nepal or somewhere, they're much higher than the Pennines!

Thousands of miles over a warm Atlantic warming surface layers, plus its windy mixing the air up.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

Whats that?...it isn't...it couldn't be? its !!! ............................a sleet flake in amongst a load of cold rain....

I must be blessed..... :help:

Edited by VeryCold

Posted

Lets be clear- the forecast seems to be going exactly as forecast. Some places might get a covering- most wont tonight. The areas most likely to get a covering are areas that have already been lucky this winter as clearly indicated by the warnings the met office has issued.

In Nottingham there have been some passing snow showers but they haven't really come to anything.

Agreed its going as expected some spots epecially above 200m will get a covering tonight.

Posted

hmmm...temp is tanking down to to 2.1 now but DP has gone up to +0.3...... :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

if like me you want to see snow but can't be arsed getting out of your armchair to stare at a lampost, I'm pleased to report there's plenty falling in the Sheffield utd v spurs game currently on sky!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Snow! At last, large flakes and settling. Temp 2.5oC

• Like 1

Posted

Yh just happy to see snow falling and even in the north its hit and miss and tonight was never meant to be anything major just a lucky few might get a covering tomoz looks better. And after the weekend has real potential. And all the showers that have fallen here have been pure snow

Very true. Reading the regional threads from the north you can see how hit and miss it is.

Another example is running the radar loop and looking at somewhere like Macclesfield. Absolutely nothing has passed through there yet. That's frustration right there!

Showers looking fewer for here now but we're in one of those situations where it ebbs and flows so I expect quick little bursts of snow just as we've been having throughout the night. Might be a bit on the cars by morning but not something worth staying up for. Hopefully there'll still be bits and pieces flying around to entertain us tomorrow!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Stopped now, but was lovely big, but dry looking flakes.

I'm going to bed shortly and i'm expecting to awaken in the morning to bright sunshine and no snow!

The weather had better not let me down! ><

Posted

Very true. Reading the regional threads from the north you can see how hit and miss it is.

Another example is running the radar loop and looking at somewhere like Macclesfield. Absolutely nothing has passed through there yet. That's frustration right there!

Showers looking fewer for here now but we're in one of those situations where it ebbs and flows so I expect quick little bursts of snow just as we've been having throughout the night. Might be a bit on the cars by morning but not something worth staying up for. Hopefully there'll still be bits and pieces flying around to entertain us tomorrow!

Yes..looks like a nice blob passed to the south of me by about 10 miles or so.........a nice streamer setting up to come right over us.....of clear sky that is...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Stopped now, but was lovely big, but dry looking flakes.

I'm going to bed shortly and i'm expecting to awaken in the morning to bright sunshine and no snow!

The weather had better not let me down! ><

better than heavy rain! that's what I'm expecting