Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

My best snow experience was Christmas 2009. Went to my parents house in Donegal, eire and were snowed in the first night we got there 23 rd December until new years day.

Posted

Showers appear to be spawning out of nowhere across the Midlands and towards the Peaks.

I'm assuming this is due to the energy being injected from the East Coast low?

I wonder if they might back build into our region?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Showers appear to be spawning out of nowhere across the Midlands and towards the Peaks.

Surely that would be forward building lol.

Posted

Nout here, radar showing false echos, clear sky here but was showing light/mod snow here....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it!

I was just thinking that. Looks possible?

Really blowing a gale outside here with significant winchill. Brrrr.  :cold:

Posted

Surely that would be forward building lol.

I'm looking at it as the opposite from the direction of travel. Hence building backwards.

It might be purely down to the instability in the flow and not due to the low on the E coast?

Nice to see some developments anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Good to see this thread quiet with the majority of people realising our chances of any significant snow over the next few days and in fact weeks being minimal.

Personally in the last 2 years I have experienced:

1 day of falling wet snow which didn't accumulate at all.

A 20 minute heavy snow shower which gave a cm and dissapeared the day after.

In 24 months that is nope - still swearing**g pathetic!!

And with again all parts of practically the whole of nope - still swearing**g Britain set to get more snow than us I am at an absolute loss as to what the hell is going on....

I think out of the majority of posters here (and i have been here since 2003) i have no doubt fared worse off than everyone else, perhaps along with some of the members on the west coast of Cumbria, and, unusually Preston which is a dire location for snow.)

Edited by Barmada Casten

Posted

Welcome, fellow wiganer trapped in st.helens at the moment :)

Oh dear! lol 

Posted

Good to see this thread quiet with the majority of people realising our chances of any significant snow over the next few days and in fact weeks being minimal.

Standard winter for me here in Bolton.

Personally in the last 2 years I have experienced:

1 day of falling wet snow which didn't accumulate at all.

A 20 minute heavy snow shower which gave a cm and dissapeared the day after.

In 24 months that is nope - still swearing**g pathetic!!

And with again all parts of practically the whole of nope - still swearing**g Britain set to get more snow than us I am at an absolute loss as to what the hell is going on....

Well what happened was the wind blew NW and gave showers which resulted in many areas in the Northwest getting some snow. Unfortunately not all because the air was not that cold, or as cold as preferred. The wind direction now has swiftly gone to a Northerly resulting in clear blue skys and cold brisk wind which is usual for a Northerly. Our next chance i would imagine would be the break down when that happens and a milder front hits cold air. I am no expert but i would imagine we need this Northerly to keep up its good work, cool us down and get us in a position to see a good transitional event which our region pulls of quite well, even Bolton.  

Ps. Its nobodies fault on here that you live in Bolton or that Britain got buried in snow, our snow shield in Helens is usually just as effective but this time lapsed and we had a little snow.

I understand your frustrations however as winters don't seem to be the same, relative or not its relatively getting milder year on year. I can see the point in which 10c will be seen as freezing. :)

Posted

Anyone in the manchester area getting snow. Radar showing some echoes building near that region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Well what happened was the wind blew NW and gave showers which resulted in many areas in the Northwest getting some snow. Unfortunately not all because the air was not that cold, or as cold as preferred. The wind direction now has swiftly gone to a Northerly resulting in clear blue skys and cold brisk wind which is usual for a Northerly. Our next chance i would imagine would be the break down when that happens and a milder front hits cold air. I am no expert but i would imagine we need this Northerly to keep up its good work, cool us down and get us in a position to see a good transitional event which our region pulls of quite well, even Bolton.  

Ps. Its nobodies fault on here that you live in Bolton or that Britain got buried in snow, our snow shield in Helens is usually just as effective but this time lapsed and we had a little snow.

I understand your frustrations however as winters don't seem to be the same, relative or not its relatively getting milder year on year. I can see the point in which 10c will be seen as freezing. :)

Totally agree with you here I am incredibly frustrated - beyond belief.

Can't possibly look forward to a potential breakdown though they for me are not snow events.

Sorry just at a loss as to whats going on, especially with forecasts over next few days set to miss us again.

Swearing again, and again, and again...

Posted

Still very wild out there & cloudy. Shame there isn't the precipitation otherwise I'm convinced it would be snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Anyone in the manchester area getting snow. Radar showing some echoes building near that region.

Nothing at all. From what the radar is suggesting, any precipitation is far too light (0.25mm/hr) for me to even see under a lamppost. As far as I'm concerned, it's bone dry here.

Edited by Scott R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

LOL and the SE get a nice band of snow in a Northerly while I in the NW get zip. You can't make it up.

Posted

Nothing at all. From what the radar is suggesting, any precipitation is far too light (0.25mm/hr) for me to even see under a lamppost. As far as I'm concerned, it's bone dry here.

Things could change very quickly though, it is a volatile set up, showers could basically pop out of nowhere possibly?

Posted

Things could change very quickly though, it is a volatile set up, showers could basically pop out of nowhere possibly?

They could do, but I'm not holding my breath. Northerly set-ups don't really bring much to our region. For snow, we really need a slight westerly element, like what we had from Wednesday to Friday.

Posted

They could do, but I'm not holding my breath. Northerly set-ups don't really bring much to our region. For snow, we really need a slight westerly element, like what we had from Wednesday to Friday.

I agree. Hope you don't mind that I added you as a friend on here, been watching this thread for ages but never had the courage to sign up until now.

Posted

I agree. Hope you don't mind that I added you as a friend on here, been watching this thread for ages but never had the courage to sign up until now.

No problem at all! :)

Posted

LOL and the SE get a nice band of snow in a Northerly while I in the NW get zip. You can't make it up.

Just goes to show how what a crap location were in, I mean how can the south benefit better than us from a northerly or a north westerly.

Posted

Have to say it's been snowing here near Flash for almost 2 hours, there is at least another cm or 2 outside as this is light stuff.

Where is Flash?

Posted

Has anyone spotted that low in the Irish Sea currently at 983mb?

Posted

Has anyone spotted that low in the Irish Sea currently at 983mb?

There's a small feature due to move down the W of the UK late Monday into Tuesday.

Probably be our best chance of seeing some snow as things stand.

Posted

There's a small feature due to move down the W of the UK late Monday into Tuesday.

Probably be our best chance of seeing some snow as things stand.

I'm on about the here and now.