Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Hi HC,

You said we never normally get anything from a Northerly - wasn't December 2010 a Northerly or more correctly a NW'ly? Great snowfall - remember the heavy snow streamer on the Friday was that caused by a trough I don't think it was a polar low?

Also HC do you remember how much snow Liverpool or our area got during February 1991 as I can't seem to remember it did we get quite a bit though the snow coming across the Pennines?

Luke

Posted

Hi HC,

You said we never normally get anything from a Northerly - wasn't December 2010 a Northerly or more correctly a NW'ly? Great snowfall - remember the heavy snow streamer on the Friday was that caused by a trough I don't think it was a polar low?

Also HC do you remember how much snow Liverpool or our area got during February 1991 as I can't seem to remember it did we get quite a bit though the snow coming across the Pennines?

Luke

no it was not

it was an easterly cold wind, with a moist conditions from the southwest, which pushed up and hit the frigid cold air. later it turned into a northeasterly. but the snow we got was a combination of very cold air mass from the east and precipitation from the southwest.

we got nothing, the pennines sucked up all the moisture.

The streamer that occurred was after the easterly. and was indeed from the northwest. but it was an exceptional set up, probably once in a life time. which is kind of sad lol

The biggest 2 snowfalls for liverpool where winter 99/2000 with a polar low dumped several meters across the region, and then we had the winter 2009/10 east + sw snow, which was later topped up from a nw airflow which created the streamer, we still had the cold from the east bizarrely enough

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Cold dry evening here with the odd gust of wind.

Posted

Hi HC,

Yeah I remember December 2000 as well that was quite a deep snowfall I think we also got some snow in December 2001.  Surely however the largest snowfall I remember in Liverpool was February 1996 which meant my school was closed that was certainly some snowfall - also I remember March 2006 being quite deep from a frontal event.

HC, did you get the snow in March 2013 not to bad here it was on a Friday - it snowed of a morning then started snowing again in the evening time - you also must have had the 2 snowfalls in January 13 aswell which were pretty decent for our area I would say.

Luke

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Plenty of showers coming from the North just a shame that the hills keep hoovering them up as hc said

post-16288-0-25566700-1422742185_thumb.j

Edited by davacr123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

5 o'clock bloody mountain shadow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The GFS 18z still has the snow misses us on Tuesday . Scotland and especially Ireland seems to getting a pasting from it. :(

Posted

We've got ghost winds.. you know the the type that go woooooooo on the horror films. 1 child with a vivid imagination can't sleep. It's forecast snow here but can't see it myself. If it does won't be much... shame enjoyed the will we able to get out or not drama.

Posted

There maybe a few showers later on tonight 'if' there is a wind change to the Northwest, the dew points should stay below freezing, so there is always a small outside chance,  especially if we see any organized bands of snow.  Personally I would be surprised, if outside of any northwesterly wind change, we see anything but partly cloudy skies, that may clear from time to time, which should allow temperatures to drop. 

we live in a sheltered area of the world, and need some help to get the snow here, but first we it would be nice if we see the temperatures around the region drop more. Not sure if we will really get rid of some of the lowish cloud (568m). partly cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosts, cold and more snow

Showers have suddenly appeared on the radar South-East of Edinburgh. This must be the showers that have been forecast for the early morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Is there anyone living just south of Leigh? 

There is a little red spot at the south of town at 22:45.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

latest west european satllite

i think the meto yellow warning nationwide is a little bit overkill, and sensationalist. I bet the chances for are well below the 60% mark and some one who does not want to work on sunday just wrote that crap so they wouldn't have to and it covers all bases :p

post-8049-0-52996900-1422745688_thumb.jp

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it!

The GFS 18z still has the snow misses us on Tuesday . Scotland and especially Ireland seems to getting a pasting from it. :(

Yep not looking good. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Anyone been to Teggs Nose country park sledging/walking? Any good ? May drive down tomoz with kids.

Posted

Very windy out there tonight with a very cold cutting wind!! So any chance of any snow overnight for us people?

Posted

BBC maps showing a band of snow moving through Cumbria Monday night... mmm not sure what feature they are picking up, but not without interest, lets see if it is still there tomorrow..

Posted

-2c dew -5c...... Showers looklike being sparked by hills south of here.... Later might be of interest.... At least man city didnt lose... Deserved more than a draw, chelski should of had how many cards? Dodge..... Oh well night all hope you all get a snowy sprinkling!

Edited by Will Padz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Yes very blustery here in Failsworth too. Temperature is at 1C.

Posted

Just been checking out some alternative radar and the forecast path of the PPN.

I doubt very much they are accurate or reflect the topography effects etc.

Probably just send the PPN on at the same rate and on the same track its heading currently.

Even so, they both had some PPN making it into the region around 0230hrs.

post-14390-0-13730400-1422750725_thumb.j

post-14390-0-79728100-1422750735_thumb.j

Posted

BBC maps showing a band of snow moving through Cumbria Monday night... mmm not sure what feature they are picking up, but not without interest, lets see if it is still there tomorrow..

It's that low that the models are showing to reach Northern Ireland and then completely disappear.

Posted

Hi I'm new here, does anyone live near Wigan/Leigh?

There's a few people from Wigan who post on here. Me included,

Welcome to the board Soop

Posted

There's a few people from Wigan who post on here. Me included,

Welcome to the board Soop

Cheers, thank you very much! :)