Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Light snow just started here now with a gusty wind.

Posted

I'm on about the here and now.

Yes, I realise that. I tried to find it on satellite imagery but couldn't see it.

Someone in another regional thread (Midlands I think) spotted what he thought was a low forming just below the IOM earlier this evening.

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Continuous light snow, getting slightly heavier now.

Posted

Unfortunately too far South of my location. I wonder if a streamer may be about to set up?

post-14390-0-73369200-1422760531_thumb.j

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Looks like a cheshire gap streamer has opened up on Radar. So Nice bands of PPN on both coasts and a dry wishbone down the middle :p Ah well thats northerlies for you.

Posted

Moderate snow now, coming in bursts.

Posted

Pretty heavy now and blowing around. it was Worth staying up for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it!

Unfortunately too far South of my location. I wonder if a streamer may be about to set up?

Might just make it to our place fella, moving slowly towards us on a strong North West wind.

Posted

Chris R

Looks like Liverpool and the Wirral area are going to be the lucky recipients of tonight's meagre snow offerings in the NW.

Posted

About time we had some luck.

Posted

Might just make it to our place fella, moving slowly towards us on a strong North West wind.

I can't make out any small features in the Irish Sea. Might be my amateur eye??

I doubt the PPN will move west in our direction. About 3 mile too far west. It's likely to slip S and E.

I'm happy that those on the coast who've suffered from rain and sleet lately are getting a bit of snowðŸ˜

post-14390-0-18320100-1422762034_thumb.j

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nice steamer. Wales getting battered

Posted

Some people may wake up with a nice covering his morning anywhere from the Wirral down to Crewe and into the Midlands.

Posted

Some people may wake up with a nice covering his morning anywhere from the Wirral down to Crewe and into the Midlands.

Just missed us, CC was be able to to confirm more but woke up just to nothing. Maybe it did snow but it didn't stick if so.

This spell just sums up just how tricky it is to get any decent falls locally.  We always say, "It only it were January..." well it is and it still wasn't enough. A lot of the time the stuff has been marginal at best, sleet then snow then sleet etc, even at night. Most nights weren't even cold enough for the snow to stick or when it was very little fell and had melted by the morning anyway.  As Crewe Cold said I have never seen more than 10cm here, even in the 2010 etc hayday.  It is easy to look back with tinted spectacles but the same was true a lot back then. I remember a slider low coming in and everything was bob on conditions wise...ended up that frozen rain/sleet variety.

It's not I am on a particular downer this morning but just accepting the fact that once again so much potential just unfortunately (for us) didn't work out.

*Edit* Some flurries just started. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Nothing overnight here but wasn't expecting anything so not really disappointed.

For us North Westerners, if you don't live in a Lancashire, Merseyside or North Wales, coastal district, you can usually forget snow from a northerly unless throughs develop to enhance the activity.

Unfortunately that's the way it is and short of turning the British Isles 90' to the right this won't change.

To me though, the most surprising thing at the moment is the lack of low temperatures from a long feed northerly and no I don't consider our current 0.5c as being cold and yesterday's 3c and a quite strong sun melted much of our snow cover.

We often get told that the only true source of very cold UK air is from a northerly but looking at this "cold" snap, it seems like someone up there went out and left the heating on.

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Nothing at all here where I am from last night if there was anything let's hope things can pep up quite a bit for the next system

Posted

Temps here never got below 2.4c last night and are now at 3.4c. I have to say it's been pretty poor for cold temps this winter the lowest temps  recorded were  over the Xmas period when temps got down to -3.6c, since this spell started temps haven't got any lower than 1.6c. I wouldn't class this as a cold spell per say,  ever so slightly below average would be a more apt description. Still with clearer skies over the coming nights we should hopefully get some decent nighttime minimums and daytime maxima's.

Edited by Hocus Pocus

Posted

Just missed us, CC was be able to to confirm more but woke up just to nothing. Maybe it did snow but it didn't stick if so.

This spell just sums up just how tricky it is to get any decent falls locally. We always say, "It only it were January..." well it is and it still wasn't enough. A lot of the time the stuff has been marginal at best, sleet then snow then sleet etc, even at night. Most nights weren't even cold enough for the snow to stick or when it was very little fell and had melted by the morning anyway. As Crewe Cold said I have never seen more than 10cm here, even in the 2010 etc hayday. It is easy to look back with tinted spectacles but the same was true a lot back then. I remember a slider low coming in and everything was bob on conditions wise...ended up that frozen rain/sleet variety.

It's not I am on a particular downer this morning but just accepting the fact that once again so much potential just unfortunately (for us) didn't work out.

*Edit* Some flurries just started. lol

Looking back on the radar, CC may have been too East, it may be more market Drayton to Wrexham that may have had something. Was quite a streamer around 4am this morning. Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Sky looks full of snow, shame it's not the falling variety.

Posted

Nothing overnight here but wasn't expecting anything so not really disappointed.

For us North Westerners, if you don't live in a Lancashire, Merseyside or North Wales, coastal district, you can usually forget snow from a northerly unless throughs develop to enhance the activity.

Unfortunately that's the way it is and short of turning the British Isles 90' to the right this won't change.

To me though, the most surprising thing at the moment is the lack of low temperatures from a long feed northerly and no I don't consider our current 0.5c as being cold and yesterday's 3c and a quite strong sun melted much of our snow cover.

We often get told that the only true source of very cold UK air is from a northerly but looking at this "cold" snap, it seems like someone up there went out and left the heating on.

Depends on when the northerly occurs. A late season northerly can generate showers inland.

Posted

So as is normally the case our region is pretty quiet now that the wind is from the north.

The models make pretty grim reading for the upcoming week in terms of snowfall.

As ever things can change in an instant and we know there is plenty of instability associated with the airmass we are sourcing from the Arctic.

Our next best opportunity is the little low due to move South through the Irish Sea late Monday or early hours of Tuesday.

A lot will depend on the track of the low as to what falls dom the sky.

On the western flank the PPN is likely to fall as rain. Anything that falls on the eastern flank will prob be of snow .

Ideally we want the low to keep West well away from the coast.

Euro4/GFS out at 48hrs:-

So once again lots of marginality associated with this feature. Those on high ground to the East are probably most at risk from snow. Lots can change in 48 hours. Especially in this set-up. Will be interesting to see how the NNM sees it tomorrow.

post-14390-0-07127200-1422784164_thumb.j

post-14390-0-33187400-1422784186_thumb.j

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

This is interesting because the temperatures in the area last night were on the high side and the reports from Liverpool and Hawarden were of rain showers.

Crosby reports were missing at the time, but now show temp/dew point 4.1c/-0.4c at 3am and 3c/0.4c at 4am with rain in both reports.

Later on there was some sleet at Hawarden and light snow at Shawbury, with reports of a dusting for parts of Shropshire and east Wales but not much to get excited about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

This is interesting because the temperatures in the area last night were on the high side and the reports from Liverpool and Hawarden were of rain showers.

Crosby reports were missing at the time, but now show temp/dew point 4.1c/-0.4c at 3am and 3c/0.4c at 4am with rain in both reports.

Later on there was some sleet at Hawarden and light snow at Shawbury, with reports of a dusting for parts of Shropshire and east Wales but not much to get excited about.

Not sure what happened last night then, nothing here bone dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Typical all warning from met office removed for our region