Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sorry to keep bringing up old posts but this one from earlier still rings true according to my analysis of the reliable timeframes on the GFS 18z, not often one to be trusted especially at longer range, but I ain't looking too far ahead right now.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82389-south-west-central-southern-england-weather-chat/?p=314495

Central Southern England and parts of the SE now look especially favoured for a sleety/snowier interlude tomorrow Afternoon and Evening. Regarding Saturday and Sunday, I think there certainly could be increasing accumulations over the North facing hills as mentioned in the link above and further ahead still, next week continues the trendsetting cold Northerly flows and its' various disturbances within it. The SW will possibly be slightly milder by then but certainly negligible as to whether that will truly make much of a difference as to the feel, but yes regarding marginal stuff it might well do. Let us hope we can get a snow covering to remain settled on the highest hills during the next three to four days and then to lower levels come the early part of next week before things briefly settle down. Should that happen, it will likely feel more bitter next week than currently modelled, continuing my gut feeling of a darn cold February.

All in all, a cracking wintry outlook with the marginality of the situation lessening from the weekend onwards, at least for three to four days as things stand but most likely to last longer than that. Wouldn't bet against a 10 day cold to very cold spell overall right now, nice to witness, should one like things that way.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

OMG LOL! Look at that last shower I just had - Zoom in - It literally dissipated over Winchester! We have a snow shield in place peeps! I'm spitting feathers here chaps ... Spi...ttin!

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Down to a minimum of 1.5*C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Down to a minimum of 1.5*C now.

1.1c here, just need the precipitation now, Malverns is eating it all currently..  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

OMG LOL! Look at that last shower I just had - Zoom in - It literally dissipated over Winchester! We have a snow shield in place peeps! I'm spitting feathers here chaps ... Spi...ttin!

:rofl: been there, got the t shirt! That snow shield up in Leicester used to be really strong. It did break down at the end of 2010 but it sounds like it's back working again now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

As we feared.. except for an early flurry it didn't last long, well its been a great cold snap all :rofl:  :wallbash:

Posted

Looking back on the radar, I see now... He must have been up on the Northern side of Taunton... It was light here, and we need the heavier precip to bring down wbfl... How close can I get without getting it?!!?

Posted

Midlands just had a 3.8M quake according to this (Well 40 minutes ago) http://earthquaketrack.com/ anyone feel anything in the NE of our region? Dunno how far it would of been felt?

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

They said there might be aftershocks to the Winchester one yesterday - is that too far away to count? Or is that a separate event?

Posted

Midlands just had a 3.8M quake according to this (Well 40 minutes ago) http://earthquaketrack.com/ anyone feel anything in the NE of our region? Dunno how far it would of been felt?

I felt something.. why did the earth move for you.. :ninja:

Posted

Didn't notice anything, but some family live near the epicentre at Oakham.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

Well better than a damp wet patch like I have I guess ... ;-)

:help:  :angel:  I thought I was on some dodgy website for a moment... :girl_devil:

Posted

Lmao! Winters over, roll on the heatwaves. Haha!

Nice to see our adopted friend back in the village, how are the valleys tonight :laugh:

Posted

Did they wow! FLip it's all going off afer last night then!

They said there might be aftershocks to the Winchester one yesterday - is that too far away to count? Or is that a separate event?

Did they? Where did you hear that? Did the give a time frame as to when they are to occur?

Posted

Final reading of the evening from me: minimum of 1.2*C.

Posted

Didn't notice anything, but some family live near the epicentre at Oakham.

My Mum lives near Leicester City Centre but she said she didn't feel anything.

Posted

Lmao! Winters over, roll on the heatwaves. Haha!

I don't know if you were aware of this Jay, but I live with 4 Welsh people at the moment :D so I can do a cracking impression of the valleys accent :D

Alright but, she's a bit tupp ya see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Did they wow! FLip it's all going off afer last night then!

Did they? Where did you hear that? Did the give a time frame as to when they are to occur?

Nope: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11753007.Earthquake_hits_parts_of_Hampshire/

There's nothing on the BGS website either. I reckon half the time the Daily Echo make it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I want an earthquake now, even more than I want snow. Or better still, to be watching out the window at my nearest lamp-post as the snow pours down, only to see it shake a little bit from an earthquake. I felt one in Oxford in 2002, and it was so weird, very slow undulation of the floor in the middle of the night!