Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted

I don't know if you were aware of this Jay, but I live with 4 Welsh people at the moment :D so I can do a cracking impression of the valleys accent :D

Alright but, she's a bit tupp ya see!

Haha:P any snow where you are tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I want an earthquake now, even more than I want snow. Or better still, to be watching out the window at my nearest lamp-post as the snow pours down, only to see it shake a little bit from an earthquake. I felt one in Oxford in 2002, and it was so weird, very slow undulation of the floor in the middle of the night!

We had one in Leicester back in 2008. No word of a lie, I was in the bath when it happened! Scared me to death. Lying there and all of a sudden, water starts moving and the bathroom shakes for about 5 seconds! I thought it was the apocalypse or something :rofl:

Haha:P any snow where you are tonight?

Nothing mate, dry as a bone :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Oh, I felt the 2008 one and it was the strangest thing. I thought it was a poltergheist so was quite relieved when I heard on the news in the morning that it was just an earthquake.

Last post from me tonight: 2.4C and -0.9C. No imminent showers on the radar but not impossible we may have something by the morning. Hope to have an excuse to leave work early tomorrow afternoon, though!

Posted

Quite a few earthquakes for the UK in the last few days which is great being a geologist. It is very unlikely that the event near Rutland is connected to the Winchester one. The aftershocks mentioned in the paper would be very localised, generally smaller than the main quake and mostly undetectable to us.

Anyway back to my second favourite topic, meteorology and most of all SNOW!!! Here's hoping we all get to see something over the next week. Nothing here yet apart from a light sleet shower at about 4pm.

Current temp 3.1

DP -1.0

Good luck  all :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Seems to be some hail in the showers here in Falmouth.

Looks like Saturday night and Sunday may finally be cold enough for snow showers here in the far south!

Posted

Quite a few earthquakes for the UK in the last few days which is great being a geologist. It is very unlikely that the event near Rutland is connected to the Winchester one. The aftershocks mentioned in the paper would be very localised, generally smaller than the main quake and mostly undetectable to us.

Anyway back to my second favourite topic, meteorology and most of all SNOW!!! Here's hoping we all get to see something over the next week. Nothing here yet apart from a light sleet shower at about 4pm.

Current temp 3.1

DP -1.0

Good luck  all :drinks:

"The tremor comes after two earthquakes were recorded near Oakham, in Rutland, in April last year.

The first, recorded on 17 April, 2014, measured 3.2 in magnitude, followed by a second tremor the following day, which measured 3.5 in magnitude."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31032930

Seems like a bit of a hotspot near Oakham. Is there any underlying geology to account for this?

Large echo appearing on the rain radar south of Eire. Possibility of some early morning snow in Cornwall (Bodmin, high Moors)?

Posted

Just driven back from Bristol to Devon, heavy snow showers at around 800 feet over Exmoor continued on and off down to about 200 feet then heavy hailstorms in Barnstaple, and this is only the first shot of colder air :)

Nice! You should have stopped the car up there and camped out :D

Nice! You should have stopped the car up there and camped out :D

Haha you know what I nearly did - stopped for about 5mins in a layby to watch - really looking forward to getting up there again when it's settling - I certainly reckon there will be chances for a snow fix on the moors over the next few days!

Edited by Luke Green

Posted

Haha you know what I nearly did - stopped for about 5mins in a layby to watch - really looking forward to getting up there again when it's settling - I certainly reckon there will chances for a snow fix on the moors over the next few days!

Yep - I think it'll be a good place to be especially when the northerly kicks in.

Posted

Just had a rain shower here, looking at wunderground, temperature is around 3C with a dp of 1 or 2C, so can't really expect anything else - hence my interest about the supposed snow report in Taunton earlier...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

2.7c Here In Peasddown St.John. Just had Little flurries with some rain .A star was showing just now....

Posted

Quick look at the models this morning and probably the ECM is of most interest. It's going for the low, Mon./Tues sliding SE over Cornwall followed by a wave that could bring a far amount of snow to Wales, west Midlands and down as far as Devon. But even at this range this is a long way from a done deal.

Posted

Temperature rising now @ 0.8C/hr. At home it was around 1.5C when I left now in Bournemouth it's 5C, the traditional difference for living on heathland versus the coastal air. But overall the air is already warming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Temp here is 4.8c, not exactly cold..... can't see anything remotely interesting snow wise for my location, I'm not saying it's not going to snow, but I don't like feeding of scraps - preferring to feast on a main event.

But scraps is all we got.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

Clear sky and a light frost here.

No snow showers overnight .....and thankfully no rain ...yuck!

Bang on 1.0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Some slush deposit left on the roof of my car and in the far distance of this photo is snow on a hill but cley hill and longleat snow free.

post-13809-0-87742700-1422517839_thumb.j