Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Sod Dartmoor, I wish I was here :D

http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/

It's not that much different. What do you expect for Breamar? LOL :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Heavy rain now forecast here. 2 miles up up the road word is that it's snowmageddon. Think a drive is on order.

Let me know what its like mate! Get up there before the rest of Devon does!

Posted

It's not that much different. What do you expect for Breamar? LOL :D

I know you sort of expect it for Braemar, but it's a good way to get your snow fix if you're struggling for snow (me!!) :laugh:

Posted

Can anyone tell me when the supposed cold spell/snap is going to start here in the South? I've seen all the headlines re Arctic conditions and other members on the forums' are raving about how cold it's going to be. Whilst there has been a small sprinkle of snow overnight, I would say the temps are only a little down on average and even the wind chill is only making it feel slightly cooler. I'm walking around my house in t-shirt and shorts and haven't even put the heating on. I posted the other day that this is not the bone-aching cold of winter's in the 1970's and I stand by that. I think we are all so desperate for some good old fashioned winter that we are clinging on to a spell which years ago would have been average winter conditions.

Edited by TheHumph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

it snowed heavily here.......allegedly ..............hard to get excited though as it's raining and any evidence of overnight snow has long gone......pfft

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Can anyone tell me when the supposed cold spell/snap is going to start here in the South? I've seen all the headlines re Arctic conditions and other members on the forums' are raving about how cold it's going to be. Whilst there has been a small sprinkle of snow overnight, I would say the temps are only a little down on average and even the wind chill is only making it feel slightly cooler. I'm walking around my house in t-shirt and shorts and haven't even put the heating on. I posted the other day that this is not the bone-aching cold of winter's in the 1970's and I stand by that. I think we are all so desperate for some good old fashioned winter that we are clinging on to a spell which years ago would have been average winter conditions.

I have to agree 100% with this comment, the charts aren't looking the best this morning either. I think we are all clinging on to hope more than anything. Down south we need sustained cold with dew points 500hp and 850hp, not forgetting precipitation. Again the m4 corridor is the major different between temperatures and snow..

Posted

This depressing Winter goes on.

Rain here this morn.

Still, it's Saturday and time to pick my horses for this afternoon's betfest.

Have a great day all.

Posted

Looking at met office its heavy rain all day here.

Tempting to take a trip up the hill but its saying heavy snow all day in Princetown. Trouble is, with heavy snow on a hill is, you get stuck there!

Think I will stay here and hope for a bit of snow later!

Edited by Beast of Plympton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Looks like the threat of snow Monday into Tuesday is no longer showing on this mornings charts, always jam tomorrow :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looks like the threat of snow Monday into Tuesday is no longer showing on this mornings charts, always jam tomorrow :wallbash:

I give up  :cray:  :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

This depressing Winter goes on.

Rain here this morn.

Still, it's Saturday and time to pick my horses for this afternoon's betfest.

Have a great day all.

Indeed and apologies for an IMBY post, but its hard to get excited for these cold charts next week. For the SW quadrant it generally shows cold and dry conditions with showers perhaps giving some snow for the moors and higher ground. Not much evidence for bigger spells of snow unless we get lucky with a decent slider. I just hope we don't end up with a cold, grey easterly...if it stays dry at least be sunny! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Looking at met office its heavy rain all day here.

Tempting to take a trip up the hill but its saying heavy snow all day in Princetown. Trouble is, with heavy snow on a hill is, you get stuck there!

Think I will stay here and hope for a bit of snow later!

Hi beast I'm looking at the Dartmoor webcam and it looks like the snow from last night has melted from what looks like sleety rain. I'm no or sure where exactly the webcam is situated.... I suppose with elevation it will be snow, so where do you think the best bet is for today. I was going to leave it until the morning after tonight's snow fall there may well be more tomorrow morning

Cheers JB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Totally agree, still haven't seen a single snowflake down here for nearly two years, and it's not even that cold tbh. Even on the radio yesterday they were talking about temperatures of around 6 degrees which is hardly an arctic blast! 

Nothing but cold rain the last few days and now next week looks mostly dry. Honestly don't see what all the excitement is about, at least for southern parts, just bog standard winter weather. Northerlies never produce down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I haven't read the last ten to twelve pages of content but I guess most of you that received anything overnight is now a slushy mess or very patchy in nature. So there you have it, went pretty much as planned from what I see as we were on the wrong side of marginality once again and this cold spell really needs the 850s and AT lowered by a couple of degrees and that would have been a snow-maker. Yet, I still had some wet snow overnight myself and can claim a snow day, so not all bad. Eyes down for another nail-biting few days ahead of will it, won't it and what last night once again proved is that these disturbances can pop up at very short notice so I personally wouldn't be drawn into anything else other than radar watching and DP/AT/WBFL checks on a daily or less basis at times of precipitation.

SW Northern facing Hills and Moors tonight into tomorrow is where the next action is expected to happen, I wish them well.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Hi beast I'm looking at the Dartmoor webcam and it looks like the snow from last night has melted from what looks like sleety rain. I'm no or sure where exactly the webcam is situated.... I suppose with elevation it will be snow, so where do you think the best bet is for today. I was going to leave it until the morning after tonight's snow fall there may well be more tomorrow morning

Cheers JB

Hi mate, Dartcam is situated around two bridges. I think your best bet is to leave it until the morning and find a spot outside of Princetown. It looks like snow all day on the moors so you are likely to have more fun tomorrow! If you are going today then Princetown is the only place that will have a decent amount mate. Good luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Rain in Costa del Poole. Dissapointed with the Nw Radar tbh. Sleet shown snd its rain. Is that blob of snow shown on the radar over the SE actually snow?

The precipitation type shown is based on the previous run and will not match up precisely as it is simply a guide based on the varying snow-making parameters at given timeframe. That is what I remember hearing about it anyhow. Best guide is to look out of the window in reality.  :D

Posted

Totally agree, still haven't seen a single snowflake down here for nearly two years, and it's not even that cold tbh. Even on the radio yesterday they were talking about temperatures of around 6 degrees which is hardly an arctic blast! 

Nothing but cold rain the last few days and now next week looks mostly dry. Honestly don't see what all the excitement is about, at least for southern parts, just bog standard winter weather. Northerlies never produce down here.

I think we have to be patient and let this cold spell kick in. Today is the first real day of this cold spell with the next couple of days being the main event and getting even colder, with hopefully surprise snow falls for some lucky b&£g@2s

Posted

Hi mate, Dartcam is situated around two bridges. I think your best bet is to leave it until the morning and find a spot outside of Princetown. It looks like snow all day on the moors so you are likely to have more fun tomorrow! If you are going today then Princetown is the only place that will have a decent amount mate. Good luck!

Ok cheers mate , think I will it until the morning, here's hoping for a good dumping tonight!!!

Posted

I think we have to be patient and let this cold spell kick in. Today is the first real day of this cold spell with the next couple of days being the main event and getting even colder, with hopefully surprise snow falls for some lucky b&£g@2s

Precisely and let's lower our expectations too as these days things ain't what they used to be as per the 1960s and 1970s etc. Christ, there were probably 30 million less people living in the UK then that would not have required all the modern infrastructure that goes with it as per this era. Not to say I don't believe in one hell of a dumping somewhere at some time in the future. For now, we need those chillier 850s to arrive and everybody to turn off their lights and heating (joking but food for thought).

Posted

Ok cheers mate , think I will it until the morning, here's hoping for a good dumping tonight!!!

No worries! Just spoke to a friend up there and was told they have a dusting but nothing special. Tomorrow is your best bet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A bit of drizzle this morning. Currently cloudy and 5°C

Looking forward to seeing the end of this cool spell now.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

So when are the cold uppers meant to be arriving? Tomorrow... Morning or afternoon? Thanks!