Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st March Onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like temperatures may have been undercooked for today, already 20C here under clear blue skies.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like temperatures may have been undercooked for today, already 20C here under clear blue skies.

Almost 23C currently very nice. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you our dear friend and weather buddy Chris Mantle lost his short battle with cancer and passed away last night. Chris was a big part of our community on the SE & EA thread, for those of us that had the pleasure of meeting him in person at our regional get together events know he was a true gentleman, although some of us have moved on from Netweather I thought I would share the sad news as I'm sure there are still many here who will remember him fondly - RIP Chris x

Really shocked and saddened to read that news Ali. My thoughts and best wishes to all his family.

Although I never met Chris by all accounts he was a really nice and decent guy. I did have a little contact with Chris though, through PMs, in respect of the SE Snow Cup. After a rather chaotic attempt at running a Snow Cup a few years ago I realised I needed some sort of spreadsheet to give the competition a semblance of order and to make the format more manageable, after the interest amongst members "snowballed"!

Having very limited IT skills I put out a request, on the SE thread, for a member with the ability to put together a spreadsheet to accommodate the number of members that were interested in entering the Snow Cup, this would've have been 2 winters ago now. Step forward Chris, at no hesitation!

He contacted me and kindly put together a spreadsheet that I felt sure would've worked superbly had we had just an average winter's snowfall but as we now know, we all had a disastrous winter in terms of snow, sod's law I suppose.

RIP Chris,

Tom.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Right, the latest NMM output has increased hopes for us, showing thunderstorms pushing out of northern France and Belgium towards our region. Temperatures still predicted to max out at 27C, though higher is possible I feel.

• Like 2

Posted

It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you our dear friend and weather buddy Chris Mantle lost his short battle with cancer and passed away last night. Chris was a big part of our community on the SE & EA thread, for those of us that had the pleasure of meeting him in person at our regional get together events know he was a true gentleman, although some of us have moved on from Netweather I thought I would share the sad news as I'm sure there are still many here who will remember him fondly - RIP Chris x

Sorry to here this he was a good person. :(

Posted

Right, the latest NMM output has increased hopes for us, showing thunderstorms pushing out of northern France and Belgium towards our region. Temperatures still predicted to max out at 27C, though higher is possible I feel.

Is this for tonight Captain or Tomorrow afternoon?? Also anyone got a time for the "weather" overnight to begin ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

24.1C now, easily beating the 21.3C high set back in April.

Posted

Is this for tonight Captain or Tomorrow afternoon?? Also anyone got a time for the "weather" overnight to begin ??

Tomorrow evening, it will be a case of monitoring storm development over France, if it really kicks off then we could be in for a real treat, I would be surprised if we escaped with nothing to be honest.

Sunny, breezy, temperature is at an average 21C, but feels much better compared to the last few days.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely n warm here, still a slight breeze but humidity seems higher (must get a weather station) Am I right we dont want too much to happen overnight n leave cloud behind preventing temps rising as much tomorrow?? Off to work for four hours l8ters.

Posted

Guys.. We don't want any of those storms over France near us tonight.. Let the SW have them it could spoil tomorrow.. For once STAY AWAY STORMS!! Last Friday could have been completely different had we not had so much crud (which I warned about)

True, but these are forecast to be imports not homegrown, so convection will happen elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

BBC - But after the warm weather of this week..

WHAT BLOODY WARM WEATHER? It's been three days of cold and cloud, two days of 13C! 

lol not been warm at all has it, Apart form today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

North france starting to light up..

Yes, looks like we could be seeing some storms tomorrow! Think we could hit 28-29C tomorrow if there are sunny spells. The storms across NW France are really getting going now, the eastern flank especially! Bodes well for us. Don't think 'crud' will be as much of a problem this time, SE winds tend to be clearer. But we'll see, quite exciting nonetheless.

Posted

Skew-T for London Heathrow, tomorrow, 3pm from GFS 6z

post-5986-0-82586500-1434038227_thumb.gi

So, a moderately convective atmosphere (K=30) with likely thunderstorms, perhaps isolated severe thunderstorms in some places fueled by semi-juicy moisture content (Dewp = 16.8 ) PBL top is approx 975hPa and not much shear (although some is present - it will help) and/or wind speed in this layer, so breaking the cap (CIN=23) will require surface heating or other forcing (sea-breezes, convergence zones, imports) Should this be broken, storms will be (significantly) enhanced even in the marginally unstable atmosphere (LI = - 3 ) Any cells that form will have a silly amount of rain (PW = 3.38) or hail (CAPE = 769) in them

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Lovely day again today, but I need some rain to dampen my garden. Bring on the storms! :clapping:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Beautiful day today though that nagging wind just won't go away. Hopefully similar tomorrow though it's looking like a repeat of last Friday which was a disappointing dull sticky day with heavy showers. Wouldn't mind a storm tomorrow and we could do with a drop of rain though I'd really just like a nice settled spell of weather for once

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Sad to hear of the passing of a member - R.I.P.  Conditions here today have been superb, although the breeze, which was light earlier, picked-up during the afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Well a lovely day today on my day off which makes a huge change. We took the kids to Chessington world of adventures which was superb today no Qs anywhere so straight on and off rides . Got a tan too now so not quite so milky white like before. Hope the storms come but not during the night as the kid is terrified she just saw the forecast and said thunder daddy Nooo I don't like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Very impressive CAPE charts on the 12z NMM.

Surface Based CAPE for 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon for instance.

post-11059-0-08820400-1434047072_thumb.p 

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

Very impressive CAPE charts on the 12z NMM.

Surface Based CAPE for 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon for instance.

attachicon.gifSB CAPE 15.png

It would go up like Bonfire Night,

I have a suspicion the NMM is overcooking it past letdowns are putting my feet close to the ground.

Hard not to get excited - but we've been here before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It would go up like Bonfire Night,

I have a suspicion the NMM is overcooking it past letdowns are putting my feet close to the ground.

Hard not to get excited - but we've been here before.

To be honest, like always, it's potential. Radar watching will soon come to the fore. I'd say the 12z runs are better than the earlier ones today though.

Posted

Guys.. We don't want any of those storms over France near us tonight.. Let the SW have them it could spoil tomorrow.. For once STAY AWAY STORMS!! Last Friday could have been completely different had we not had so much crud (which I warned about)

lol i would let those storms near us as they are now! (if by some miracle they could make it over the channel) i doubt many of us storm freaks would be complaining at a strike rate of around 7000 per hour!!

• Like 1