Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st March Onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Damn that is really sad news, he was a great contributor to the forum (in particular the snow cup). Rest in peace and I hope his friends and family are okay during this dark time.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you our dear friend and weather buddy Chris Mantle lost his short battle with cancer and passed away last night. Chris was a big part of our community on the SE & EA thread, for those of us that had the pleasure of meeting him in person at our regional get together events know he was a true gentleman, although some of us have moved on from Netweather I thought I would share the sad news as I'm sure there are still many here who will remember him fondly - RIP Chris x

Indeed, a very sad day. May he rest in peace. Thanks for letting us know, AM.

• Like 2

Posted

RIP Chris, you'll never be forgotten it's hard to get my head round it to be frank.

A thoughtful sincere gentleman with a good heart when I see those white flakey things I'll think of you. :

• Like 1

Posted

Sad news. RIP Chris.

Surely, this chart is wrong? For Heathrow, Fri 3pm.

post-5986-0-39833600-1433938081_thumb.gi

This says moderate convective potential (K = 31) but with extreme instability (LI = - 8 ) with likely thunderstorms, some scattered severe storms; hail and frequent lightning where they do occur (CAPE = 1632) Silly amounts of rain possible (PW = 3.3)

Expecting downgrades, but what a chart!

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Sad news. RIP Chris.

Surely, this chart is wrong? For Heathrow, Fri 3pm.

attachicon.gif03772_15061215_1000.gif

This says moderate convective potential (K = 31) but with extreme instability (LI = - 8 ) with likely thunderstorms, some scattered severe storms; hail and frequent lightning where they do occur (CAPE = 1632) Silly amounts of rain possible (PW = 3.3)

Expecting downgrades, but what a chart!

Pretty chart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sad to hear about Chris Mantle, I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but from what Ali posted he was as friendly and sincere in person as he was on the forum, a man of decency and principle......condolences to his family and loved ones

• Like 5

Posted

Sad to hear about Chris Mantle, I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but from what Ali posted he was as friendly and sincere in person as he was on the forum, a man of decency and principle......condolences to his family and loved ones

I never met him either, aj; but he was always very pleasant and personable...I'll never forget our talking about a thunderstorm midway between Olney and Kempston...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another person taken by the dreaded 'c' word, RIP.

Warmed up slightly here to 17C with the sun trying to break through after a truly dismal morning for June. That wind just gets worse!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A little better today, it should reach 17C here with increasing amounts of sunshine.

Lets hope Friday provides a 21 lightning bolt salute :)

• Like 2

Posted

In the last hour, the clouds have all but vanished...Warmer upper mehopes!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sleep tight Chris. It's sad to read of his passing. I always enjoyed his enthusiasm in the snow cup and he always seemed like a lovely fella.

If there is a heaven, he'll have the pleasure of having the most wonderful view of the weather anyone could wish for.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I'll be honest, I was not entirely sure who Chris was, but I am sad all the same. The sooner a cure is found, the better.

Weather-wise, it was cloudy earlier and now it is lovely and clear. Looking good for Friday storm-wise perhaps. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Sad news about Chris.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Gutted to hear about Chris Mantle, had the pleasure of corresponding with him on here with over the past 2 or so years.. R.I.P my weather friend  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Some great looking charts to view this evening with regards Friday's potential storms. Should be a very interesting afternoon for some people! The GFS 12z sequence is forecasting that the S/SE of the Region will fare better this time (Kent, Sussex and Surrey). Still looking like Essex, Suffolk & Norfolk might miss out, although will still get the band of heavy rain later on Friday and into Saturday. 

Fri 12.00 post-20040-0-43430800-1433956982_thumb.p 15.00 post-20040-0-69766000-1433957006_thumb.p 18.00 post-20040-0-96598500-1433957028_thumb.p 

The NMM output in agreement with the GFS. Fri 17.00: post-20040-0-75417700-1433957125_thumb.p

Today's bulletin from the Met Office Chief Forecaster confirms the potential for some severe storms, but also the complexity of the situation:

Chief Forecasters Assessment 10/6/15

An area of warm, very humid air is expected to move northwards across France into southern Britain later on Thursday and into Friday. Whilst isolated thunderstorms are possible from Thursday, these become more likely and potentially more severe by Friday afternoon, with the potential for 20 to 30 mm falling within an hour or so, probably on a very localised basis. Indications are that a more organised band of heavy rain and thunderstorms will follow by Friday evening and overnight into Saturday, bringing 25 to 50 mm of rain more widely, again with the potential for some very high short-period  totals.
Given the complexity of the developments leading up to this event, ideas on areas at greatest risk of heavy rainfall and severe thunderstorms may well change, and this warning will be updated accordingly.

Met Off Risk Area: post-20040-0-07651400-1433957696_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

2h2 hours ago

Essex Weather Centre â€

@EssexWeather

Severe thunderstorms likely across Southern UK on Friday/Saturday. The storms will track North-Westwards so this should... 1/2

2/2 ...keep worst of the conditions away from SE corner. Lots of uncertainly and dare say @MetOffice warnings will change.

I hope the SE is not the breeding ground that just gets the 'Starter'.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Absolutely gutted to hear about chris,r.i.p my netweather friend

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

BBC - But after the warm weather of this week..

WHAT BLOODY WARM WEATHER? It's been three days of cold and cloud, two days of 13C! 

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny start here, hopefully we can break 20C this afternoon and at least make conditions feel a little more summery.

Next week looking good by the way, high pressure is being modelled as increasingly influential so maybe an extended fine and warm spell is on the cards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely sunny skies this morning and feeling warmer, even with the vile wind. Still looking interesting for tomorrow...some soaking rain would be welcome!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Beautiful morning out there today, with a current temperature of 21.9C and mostly sunny skies. The breeze continues, but at this temperature, it is far less of a nuisance than at 16C for example, and isn't affecting the warm feel out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

BBC - But after the warm weather of this week..

WHAT BLOODY WARM WEATHER? It's been three days of cold and cloud, two days of 13C! 

I believe you'll find that temps over 12C activate the Great British BBQ mode.

• Like 1