Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st March Onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

2 hours on my balcony waiting for the fun (did see a "blink and you'll miss it" brief lightening affair!) Now it's time to wake up the household looks like it's all about to start! Typical! :)

Welcome wishfulwinter. Great day to make your debut!!

My pessimism of last night looking unfounded. A great start to the day with some storms moving NE and more developing in the Channel. Currently a storm over my area with plenty of thunder and lightning.

Radar 07.00 post-20040-0-63095300-1433485643_thumb.j Lightning Strikes 07.15 post-20040-0-67159100-1433485658_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

they black  what ever coming up from   the south of me could have fun times soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

woke up at 4:30 looked interesting, looked out the window just before 8..

where did this boring rain come from? where's my lovely storm? :unknw:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

AN absolute perfect storm of short length.

Really heavy rain and some thunder and lightning, very unusual at 7am.

Perfect timing for the oldest's paper round.......

Not often you see the purple and white radar echos right over the top of you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nice looking cloudscape here, got more building over the top of me, so may hit the same area as the last one.

Posted

A small but heavy shower just passed over me. Seemed like it could develop into something going up into Essex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

rain has cleared, sun is out, here's hoping!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Here are some cloud shots of this morning's storm approaching and passing over. Pleased I got a bit of structure! Not really post processed much as yet plus a few rain blobs, please excuse! I think this may be the closest thing to mothership type structure that I will get in this country. Mostly lighting was within the clouds, torrential rain, small pea sized hail at one point, ground is saturated with standing water.

To think when this cluster crossed near me it was a disorganised mess with occasional thunder and lightning, that really did develop into quite a beast.

Just had another short and sharp shower, I get the feeling that these are developing overhead and will continue to slam areas further north.

Just to note how loaded this set up is, look around the Ipswich area on the radar at half 8, now run the frames through to now, an small thunderstorm has just appeared out of nowhere which is giving rainfall rates which are practically off the scale.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

red line east of it = storms

yellow line east of it 20% chance

To much cloud like I said we this first showed on the charts.. 

attachicon.gifSTORM RISK.jpg

Humidity is only just starting to build here, do not think this is the last of the storms today. Can feel something in the air. Think things will fire later on, in east Kent anyway. So may be that red line should be just a few miles further west.

Humidity is only just starting to build here, do not think this is the last of the storms today. Can feel something in the air. Think things will fire later on, in east Kent anyway. So may be that red line should be just a few miles further west.

Wouldn't bank on it lol the colder air is already pushing into Wales way.. NNM overlay illiterates..

post-12648-0-37296700-1433491895_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Wouldn't bank on it lol the colder air is already pushing into Wales way.. NNM overlay illiterates..

attachicon.giftemps.jpg

Looking at the radar, there is a band of patchy rain stretching from Southampton up to the Wash, I think this is the dividing line where anywhere east could see some further thunderstorms. So it will be a case of when this line transfers east and introduces more stable air. 

Another rumble of thunder heard here as the showers which crossed the city ignite as they push north east.

Posted

attachicon.giftemps.jpg

Just heard a rumble lol

Just heard a rumble lol

post-12648-0-37550900-1433492417_thumb.j   :good:

Looking at the radar, there is a band of patchy rain stretching from Southampton up to the Wash, I think this is the dividing line where anywhere east could see some further thunderstorms. So it will be a case of when this line transfers east and introduces more stable air. 

Another rumble of thunder heard here as the showers which crossed the city ignite as they push north east.

post-12648-0-18788900-1433492458_thumb.p

Sums my chart up nicely 

Posted

Either way it looks to be over too soon for most people, not a lot to look forward to in the coming week weather wise (very ho-hum).

I for one are hoping that the UKMO is correct in its output.

UW144-21.GIF?05-07

Charts like this offer some decent promise.

Unfortunately it is on its own this morning, the others offer some pretty putrid output.

gfs-0-192.png?0

850s going below 0C in many place so well below average temperatures. No thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

The clouds are shooting up just south of me right now, from practically nothing 5 mins ago!

Showers popping out of no where in the channel now - I'd say it looks fairly good for some storms in kent  over the next couple of hours or so especially so the further east you go. Also, the line of light rain further west is starting to come back to life on the southern end. This could be something to look out for later, depending on how much energy the showers can gather up. 

Edited by <<Ryan>>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Amazing sferics in Lowestoft / Yarmouth area now!

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Another small storm has passed over, few rumbles, very messy looking with not much structure at all. Cracks of thunder every 10 mins or so, had an absolutely massive shot gun crack of thunder which tripped the electricity and set off building alarms. Now disappearing in same direction as previous, clearer skies approaching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Amazing sferics in Lowestoft / Yarmouth area now!

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

Aye, Steve: just watched it from the Tesco car park...Water everywhere!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Two thunderstorms, one at 7.20ish the other about 10am, shame they were one bang and gone type storms, however intense they looked on the radar

Posted

Good sunny spells here and the temperatures are rocketing, temperatures widely into the 20s with 23C recorded in parts of London at 10am.

Edit London city airport has reached 24C already, 22C here.

Edited by Captain shortwave