Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st March Onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

21 now at london city airport and heathrow now at 20 degrees.. To think that this is not even the hot spell yet LOVE IT :D

It is going to be a warm day 22*C at 11:00am in my location tomorrow looks likely to be the first 30C day of the year if the sun permits this declares Summer is here with a *bang*. :friends:

Posted

Interesting how Weds 1800 GFS temps have a 10'c difference from the urban heat of London (34'c) to Dartford (24'c) in the space of 20 miles.

Posted

Interesting how Weds 1800 GFS temps have a 10'c difference from the urban heat of London (34'c) to Dartford (24'c) in the space of 20 miles.

Hi I do not see it myself Dartford is minimally affected by the UHI but it still slightly is being on London/Kent border. The difference is not that stark it can be as much as 5c in experience. Nights show the greater variance during day time it is lessened. I assume this is due to the heat of the day radiating from all dark surfaces. On that I can rule out the 10C different is solely on urban heat island effect. Dartford is 12 miles from me and I'm predicted 33C by the Met Office with the core of the heat being further east and south it's not as if it is going to be markedly cooler further east you are. (unless you are within close proximity to the coast due to the cooling onshore breezes) I'd say 30/31C seems about right - this depends on local conditions.

Corrected misspellings

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

My local weather station is saying the current temp is 18.9 degrees but I could swear its about 25!

Also could someone tell me what the heat index is? Coz it says it's 22.6, is it like the 'feels like' temp?

• Like 1

Posted

My local weather station is saying the current temp is 18.9 degrees but I could swear its about 25!

Also could someone tell me what the heat index is? Coz it says it's 22.6, is it like the 'feels like' temp?

Hi, see below:

The heat index (HI) or humiture or humidex (not to be confused with the Canadian humidex) is an index that combines air temperature and relative humidity in an attempt to determine the human-perceived equivalent temperature—how hot it feels. The result is also known as the "felt air temperature" or "apparent temperature". For example, when the temperature is 32 °C (90 °F) with very high humidity, the heat index can be about 41 °C (106 °F)

It is becoming increasingly more humid as more hot air is being pumped northwards with a lot of moisture from continent good for storms! This will worsen through week. Before turning much fresher Sunday. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

There were some unusual clouds this morning, best described as looking like orange flows of lava.  26.8c here now, I'm beginning to stick to things..................yuck!

Posted

Hi I do not see it myself Dartford is minimally affected by the UHI but it still slightly is being on London/Kent border. The difference is not that stark it can be as much as 5c in experience. Nights show the greater variance during day time it is lessened. I assume this is due to the heat of the day radiating from all dark surfaces. On that I can rule out the 10C different is solely on urban heat island effect. Dartford is 12 miles from me and I'm predicted 33C by the Met Office with the core of the heat being further east and south it's not as if it is going to be markedly cooler further east you are. (unless you are within close proximity to the coast due to the cooling onshore breezes) I'd say 30/31C seems about right - this depends on local conditions.

Corrected misspellings

I have to agree with this. I drive from London along A2/M2 to Sittingbourne way and often temp falls by anywhhere from 2-5oC on the hot days but never as much as 10oC unless of course there are factors like fog. I'd say 32/33 London and 30/31 for most of north Kent sounds spot on to me

Also seen this...London to feel like 40oC on Wednesday ...ouch

post-4391-0-82032200-1435580814_thumb.pn

Edited by Nemesis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Hi, see below:The heat index (HI) or humiture or humidex (not to be confused with the Canadian humidex) is an index that combines air temperature and relative humidity in an attempt to determine the human-perceived equivalent temperature—how hot it feels. The result is also known as the "felt air temperature" or "apparent temperature". For example, when the temperature is 32 °C (90 °F) with very high humidity, the heat index can be about 41 °C (106 °F)

It is becoming increasingly more humid as more hot air is being pumped northwards with a lot of moisture from continent good for storms! This will worsen through week. Before turning much fresher Sunday. :)

Thanks for clearing that up! I've decided I'm not leaving the house, apart from to work for the rest of the week, hate humid heat and hate storms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

High here today of 19, does feel warmer, when the wind isn't blowing. Didn't think the wind was meant to blow this much today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

been in the dentist for 2 hours..boo hiss..anyway was quite cool cloudy and a bit windy when I went in..now I have come out its clear blue sky no wind and the temp has jumped up to 26c

• Like 1

Posted

UK Outlook for Saturday 4 Jul 2015 to Monday 13 Jul 2015:

After another warm, humid start on Saturday, especially over eastern parts where there could be some thundery showers, some fresher, cooler conditions are expected to push in from the west, reaching all parts by the end of the day. Largely dry and bright and feeling cooler on Sunday. A chance of some rain spreading into the west and southwestern parts early next week, but most places, away from the northwest, look to stay mainly dry for much of the week with a return of the very warm, humid conditions and a low risk of thundery showers into the south towards midweek. By the middle of July northwestern parts are likely to see more in the way of unsettled weather, whilst southeastern parts seeing further fine, dry and very warm conditions.

Look away if you were hoping for a respite of some sort July could end up notably above average.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

London city Airport @ 20 degrees 20 minutes ago.. DAMN!  :yahoo:

Wait til Wednesday - it will be 24-25C by 10am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yeah that's not right at all...I used to live in Wilmington (in Dartford Borough), now live a few minutes round the corner, Dartford is NEVER 10C cooler than London - in actual fact, my experience driving from C London to Dartford was that if anything the temperature often INCREASED as you headed from London to Dartford. This makes sense, given that often Gravesend (next town (East) along from Dartford) often registers the highest temperature in the UK.

Unless there is a strong N Sea breeze blowing from the NE (in which case London will not register 34C), then the temperature predictions are clearly wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah that's not right at all...I used to live in Wilmington (in Dartford Borough), now live a few minutes round the corner, Dartford is NEVER 10C cooler than London - in actual fact, my experience driving from C London to Dartford was that if anything the temperature often INCREASED as you headed from London to Dartford. This makes sense, given that often Gravesend (next town (East) along from Dartford) often registers the highest temperature in the UK.

Unless there is a strong N Sea breeze blowing from the NE (in which case London will not register 34C), then the temperature predictions are clearly wrong.

Funnily enough Gravesend, is currently warmest spot in the country registering at 26C do you know why this is, is it due to the topography of the area...it isn't exactly a metropolis :D

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Cracking day, returning home to unbroken sunshine with just some patchy high cloud. A high of 26C, and for the moment it doesn't feel too humid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

UK Outlook for Saturday 4 Jul 2015 to Monday 13 Jul 2015:

After another warm, humid start on Saturday, especially over eastern parts where there could be some thundery showers, some fresher, cooler conditions are expected to push in from the west, reaching all parts by the end of the day. Largely dry and bright and feeling cooler on Sunday. A chance of some rain spreading into the west and southwestern parts early next week, but most places, away from the northwest, look to stay mainly dry for much of the week with a return of the very warm, humid conditions and a low risk of thundery showers into the south towards midweek. By the middle of July northwestern parts are likely to see more in the way of unsettled weather, whilst southeastern parts seeing further fine, dry and very warm conditions.

Look away if you were hoping for a respite of some sort July could end up notably above average.

If that is the case them I'm going to buy 20 liters of ice cream :D Am I right in thinking that this would be the third July in a row that we have had a heatwave in the SE? Wasn't this followed by a disappointing August? :unknw: If we get non damaging rain too, then the garden will love it and I'm sure that by the end of next week, my melons will be double the size. :good: May put some photos in the 'Gardening Thread'. Still waiting for my turbo fan to arrive, hope it gets here before Wednesday. 24.6 in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

High of 19.7 so far today, if it stays cooler here while London is in the 30's I'll be more than happy.

Posted

If that is the case them I'm going to buy 20 liters of ice cream :D Am I right in thinking that this would be the third July in a row that we have had a heatwave in the SE? Wasn't this followed by a disappointing August? :unknw: If we get non damaging rain too, then the garden will love it and I'm sure that by the end of next week, my melons will be double the size. :good: May put some photos in the 'Gardening Thread'.

Still waiting for my turbo fan to arrive, hope it gets here before Wednesday. 24.6 in the shade.

Depends how you define heatwave last year and the year before had a very warm July for London & South East of England. Last few summers except from 2012 which I seem to recall it being quite wet

although it did cheer up when London 2012 Olympic Games initiated. Your melons must be loving it! :wink:

The August wasn't that bad just quite cool you cannot have it all. :)

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Funnily enough Gravesend, is currently warmest spot in the country registering at 26C do you know why this is, is it due to the topography of the area...it isn't exactly a metropolis :D

Its because it has a higher sand base than other areas, therefore higher temps are normally reached there.

High of 19.7 so far today, if it stays cooler here while London is in the 30's I'll be more than happy.

You will always be cooler than London in this weather, right on the coast in Dover, plus possible sea breezes and no concrete effect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Met Office update issued this morning. July could turn out to be a lovely month for our Region:

Forecast Issued on Monday, 29 June 2015 at 08:33  

Forecast for Mon 29 Jun 2015 to Fri 03 Jul 2015
General Situation: Largely dry on Monday and Tuesday with long sunny spells. A period of hot weather is
expected from later on Tuesday, through Wednesday and into Thursday for parts of England. Thundery rain or
showers are expected in places on Wednesday and Thursday. Turning a little fresher in the west on Thursday
for a time, but very warm again by Friday with the risk of further thundery showers.   

Forecast for Sat 04 Jul 2015 to Mon 13 Jul 2015
General Situation: Very warm at first on Saturday with risk of thundery showers or heavy rain. Turning fresh later
Saturday and for Sunday. Temperatures will probably be above average for much of the UK through this period,
with the highest chance of very warm or hot weather in the far southeast for a time around midweek.

Forecast for Tue 14 Jul 2015 to Tue 28 Jul 2015
General Situation: There is no clear signal for settled hot weather, but there is the likelihood of above average
temperatures at times especially in the south or southeast. The northeast and northwest regions are more likely
to see periods of rain with temperatures nearer to average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Met Office update issued this morning. July could turn out to be a lovely month for our Region:

Forecast Issued on Monday, 29 June 2015 at 08:33  

Forecast for Mon 29 Jun 2015 to Fri 03 Jul 2015

General Situation: Largely dry on Monday and Tuesday with long sunny spells. A period of hot weather is

expected from later on Tuesday, through Wednesday and into Thursday for parts of England. Thundery rain or

showers are expected in places on Wednesday and Thursday. Turning a little fresher in the west on Thursday

for a time, but very warm again by Friday with the risk of further thundery showers.   

Forecast for Sat 04 Jul 2015 to Mon 13 Jul 2015

General Situation: Very warm at first on Saturday with risk of thundery showers or heavy rain. Turning fresh later

Saturday and for Sunday. Temperatures will probably be above average for much of the UK through this period,

with the highest chance of very warm or hot weather in the far southeast for a time around midweek.

Forecast for Tue 14 Jul 2015 to Tue 28 Jul 2015

General Situation: There is no clear signal for settled hot weather, but there is the likelihood of above average

temperatures at times especially in the south or southeast. The northeast and northwest regions are more likely

to see periods of rain with temperatures nearer to average. 

Bet you wont have the heating on for a while now, lol...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just 12 hours to go and then it's 4 days of the 5 S's in Eastbourne...Sun, sea, sand, getting sloshed and storms!!

😀

• Like 4