Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The Met Office stats tally up with my view of June, in that it was a reasonable summer month. Very dry here, the grass is as brown as anything.

Posted

One never knows whats round the corner. Nobody saw last Wednesday coming until about 1 week beforehand, especially with the cold june. If you think we have zero chance of any more heat then take a look into Europe at the moment looks like another 2003 is brewing.

now 2003??  just because the continent  is roasting hot. That the heat is coming our way does it?? if we continue to pull in air from the NW is gonna stay on the cool side.

We will get the odd plume now and then.. getting  settled  sunny weather for the remainder of the summer is another thing entirely..But time will tell on that score.

Posted

Thank goodness for this post.

Absolutely backs up my previous post that this summer has been good generally.

Good, generally... that is highly dependant on where in the UK you live.

If I ask my family on the East and North coast of Northern Ireland, other than last week, they have had a very poor summer indeed.... June was windy, N'westerly flow mostly, and struggling to get average temps day or night... other than the tail-end of June and first couple of days in July, it was poor. Scotland, too.

With the models all pointing to standard fare, with a general NW/SE split.. the gloom for NI & Scotland looks set to continue. 

So for these parts, hardly a glorious and generally good summer predicted and so far achieved. 

England does not equal = UK. I wish this was understood!

Edited by draztik

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The negativity in here is laughable. Nobody knows what may be one week away. Who would've foreseen the July record being broken on the 1st day of the month, after what looked like endless Northwesterlies would prevail into the month? Best thing to do is to look at the current synoptics and look no more than 90 hours ahead of what is being modelled! Gives a more accurate and less distorted possible outcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Good, generally... that is highly dependant on where in the UK you live.

If I ask my family on the East and North coast of Northern Ireland, other than last week, they have had a very poor summer indeed.... June was windy, N'westerly flow mostly, and struggling to get average temps day or night... other than the tail-end of June and first couple of days in July, it was poor. Scotland, too.

With the models all pointing to standard fare, with a general NW/SE split.. the gloom for NI & Scotland looks set to continue. 

So for these parts, hardly a glorious and generally good summer predicted and so far achieved. 

England does not equal = UK. I wish this was understood!

Have you actually bothered to look at the stats from the Met Office. Scotland aside it shows June was generally good across the UK.

If your family are expecting a Mediterranean climate they really are going to be disappointed each year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

now 2003??  just because the continent  is roasting hot. That the heat is coming our way does it?? if we continue to pull in air from the NW is gonna stay on the cool side.

We will get the odd plume now and then.. getting  settled  sunny weather for the remainder of the summer is another thing entirely..But time will tell on that score.

No one said the heat will be coming our way for sure. July 2006 is by no means unbreakable, nor is 2003. Also July 2006 wasn't hot all month, but the reason I am comparing 2015 to 2006 is because of a seemingly similar pattern of a hot start to the month, obviously I could be completely wrong and the rest of the month may be average, but there is not a 'zero percent chance' that this month will compare to 2006 or even August 2003 temperature-wise.

We are only pulling in northwesterly winds for a brief period of time before pushing in northerly winds and most likely southwesterly winds by the end of the week - but the outcome could be different. The BBC stating in their week ahead forecast that even southerly winds and a smaller chance of northerly winds is still on the cards.

The weather is pretty random though, especially in the UK. We could face the hottest heatwave in history later this month or the stormiest, or wettest month. But we could face an average end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

In all honesty, June was a decent month in Leeds. It started off poor, but improved gradually as the month went on. Average high was 19.7C compared to the 1981-2010 average of 19C. The mean as a whole was a little below normal - but still within normal range (i.e 0.5C either side of average) - and that's only because we had a string of very cold nights early in the month - hence why looking at means/CET values alone do not necessarily tell you everything.

Oh, and it was definitely a sunnier than average month, and on the dry side - only 22mm - with 17mm of that falling on the 2nd. Plus it was the first June since 2011 to exceed 25C - and 30C for that matter.

So June 2015 gets a thumbs up from me. Nothing special, but pleasant enough.

Posted

Am from near leeds myself.. And June was useless.. we have had better Junes in the last  6 years.. 2009/2010/2013.. even last June was better than  this year.. :)..

so 5th ranked behind the dismissal 2012 :closedeyes:.. Its a much better afternoon here now.. :aggressive:

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted

Well you obviously have a very dodgy memory because June 2015 was much sunnier and slightly warmer than any of the past 5 Junes - 2010 excluded. Half of all days in June 2015 were above 20C and after the 2nd, there was practically no rain - just fleeting, short-lived showers. If that does not constitute a good month, what, pray tell, does?

• Like 2

Posted

I don't care if its sunnier..I know how the weather  feels. the Northwest is often sunny if the  high is centered there.. But  the   gusts of wind 12/15 mph from Iceland is not  a warm direction.. All you need to do is look back through the thread to see how many comments were referring to how cold June as been for most of the UK. apart from south coast and south east.. They are closer to the high that's been on the continent and sheltered from North westerly air flow.

I knew some would bring up stats and say well it was quite sunny...Its sunny in October doesn't mean it feels like summer. June was pretty poor and plenty would agree with me :)  

There is no surprise  on the occasion we have cut of the North westly air flow  its felt warmer.. This afternoon its sunny but there is  a distinct chill in the air..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

. June was pretty poor and plenty would agree with me :)  

June had below average temperatures and had many forecasters writing off summer 2015 thinking that summer was going to be the coldest on record.  Then a brief spell of warmth prior to solstice changed all that. I wouldn't call June 2015 poor - June 2012 is what I'd call poor.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

June was below par in my opinion, but it improved greatly during the last week with 25C reached on most days in Chelmsford and 30C recorded in the capital on the final day.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I have to laugh with those who call this June average,although those in the south may have had it average but here in the pennines we don't have the same weather as Bristol,buckingham Cambridge or crawley.It is not even the same weather as Leeds or Manchester,just a stones throw awayIt has been a cool month saved by the last week and a couple of odd days.I must admit however it has been relatively dry but since we all have different ideas what constitutes a good month we all have different views.For me ,a cooler than average June with plenty of days that did not feel like summer with a good last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

June was probably the worst summer month I can remember from every perspective. No heat, no storms, no heavy precipitation at all, often cloudy, often downright cold and an omnipresent NW'ly wind blowing at my face pretty much every time I walked to work. Pretty hideous in all honesty, even just for being so bland and pretty much devoid of any weather generally.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Moving towards the core of the summer now when 'heatwaves' and generally sustained warmth is more likely, however, the outlook is distinctly average. No settled sustained pattern ahead and it generally becomes more difficult to achieve sustained settled weather as the summer wears on (August can be a notoriously unsettled month here), so I say the clock has started ticking now on whether summer 2015 will go down as a memorable one in terms of heat and dry sunny weather or just average or worse.

There is still a lot of summer to go, and by my reckoning its not been a bad start, yes rather cool in the main despite the recent hot spell, but fairly decent with quite a bit of dry sunny weather, but never particularly great with lots of chopping and changing and a nagging NW wind. Its been on a par with 2013 in some respects, not as good so far as 2014 but far better than 2012, mid-late July 2013 and 2014 were excellent though; the outlook definitely below par in contrast.

• Like 2

Posted

I don't care if its sunnier..I know how the weather  feels. the Northwest is often sunny if the  high is centered there.. But  the   gusts of wind 12/15 mph from Iceland is not  a warm direction.. All you need to do is look back through the thread to see how many comments were referring to how cold June as been for most of the UK. apart from south coast and south east.. They are closer to the high that's been on the continent and sheltered from North westerly air flow.

I knew some would bring up stats and say well it was quite sunny...Its sunny in October doesn't mean it feels like summer. June was pretty poor and plenty would agree with me :)  

There is no surprise  on the occasion we have cut of the North westly air flow  its felt warmer.. This afternoon its sunny but there is  a distinct chill in the air..

You obviously did not read my post in its entirety - I also said half of all June days were warmer than 20C, and the average daytime temperature was nearly 1 degree above the long-term average. That's right - the average daytime temperature was warmer than average - meaning the temperatures you actually experienced during the day were warm! In fact, the final 15 days of the month were downright lovely - no cool weather to speak off, and virtually no rain whatsoever. Consistently in the 20-23C range, and the wind eventually abated, meaning it felt pretty oppressive at times due to the higher humidity.

PS - I was one of those who commented on how poor June was - but June changed for the better, and the warmer to thirds of the month cancelled out the cooler third, easily.

Edited by Thunderbolt_
To move the discussion on.

Posted

One aspect of June that I have to stick up for is its sunshine, at well over 200 hours it did well in theat respect. The 30th was the only warm and sunny day this year, sunny most of the day with a high of 28C. What let it down was the persistent wind, lack of thunder, and lack of really high temperatures apart from that last day. The second week was strange, almost unbroken sunshine on many days but highs of barely 15C, it was like March. But I'd rather have that than warmer cloudy rubbish while most other places are sunny or thundery, or both (hello 1st July)- or something like June 2012 which had about a third as much sun as June 2015.

May was a stinker though, dull, persistently cool and constant NW winds. April was again impressive for sunshine, but it should have had a higher monthly max than 18C given how dry and sunny it was.

• Like 1

Posted

Moving towards the core of the summer now when 'heatwaves' and generally sustained warmth is more likely, however, the outlook is distinctly average. No settled sustained pattern ahead and it generally becomes more difficult to achieve sustained settled weather as the summer wears on (August can be a notoriously unsettled month here), so I say the clock has started ticking now on whether summer 2015 will go down as a memorable one in terms of heat and dry sunny weather or just average or worse.

There is still a lot of summer to go, and by my reckoning its not been a bad start, yes rather cool in the main despite the recent hot spell, but fairly decent with quite a bit of dry sunny weather, but never particularly great with lots of chopping and changing and a nagging NW wind. Its been on a par with 2013 in some respects, not as good so far as 2014 but far better than 2012, mid-late July 2013 and 2014 were excellent though; the outlook definitely below par in contrast.

the BBC arnt very positive in their "week ahead" forecastings about any further heat, I think its best just may aswell give up and wait for our next chance for a full blown heatwave come the 2020's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not an awful June here, there have been worse over the years. The last week was decent with above average temps thankfully. Quite a lot of sun but the first half of the month had a chilly feel in the NW winds that have marred much of the year so far. Not nearly enough rain either, grass here is brown, trees and shrubs showing drought stress and going yellow in some cases which is quite sad. I've been having to water the allotments for hours every week since the beginning of May now. Better than endless cloud though!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

So any sign of the juily of 2003 and 2006 happening yet?? or people just letting off hot air? :D.. according to the bbc (who are pretty useless)  the winds will be back to the Northwest again next week.. so the average temps that was forecasted last evening after the use of several models.. have got it wrong and they wont be?? :fool:

I forgot its only early July. we may end with a mega heatwave by the end of it..Just by the time it happens it will be mid august  and summer will be almost over :rofl:

Not whining.. just fed up of the exegration. would rather people say what is happening with our summer. and  that the jet is refusing to shift north for any decent length of time.Its going to be extremely mixed for the rest of summer (in my opinion)

You obviously cant predict what will happen in 10 days time. But the use of July  2006 and 2003 and record breaking temps of 39c.. takes the biscuit.

Posted

You were correct Thunderbolt :D

Not meaning to complain..Just annoyed at the mixed signals that you get from  different places..Even on this site..No sign of the 30c returning in the near future.. why use the 30c has a bench mark? it happened what ONCE  this year that's all..

I like the summer and hope  it will be pleasant and  sunny. 3 wet cold days  that's just happened.. its felt like late October.I know its going to be warmer in the next 3/4 days. But even the bbc has cloud for my part of the country for Friday (which wasn't there yesterday) so the  23c they predict for leeds may only be for 2 hours in the afternoon if the sun comes out.. we may get sunshine all day..who knows..

Just seems very difficult to get sunny days in a row  this summer. last week was nice..but that was the execption to the rule.. seems to me  there has been a lot of exgeration this summer..

I go back to my local newspaper that predicted the hottest june on record..Just don't do it. it gives the impression its GOING TO FEEL WARM. apart from about 5/6 days in june and last weeks  short heatwave. its not even been anywhere near. what I would call summer..Obviously our summers are not great compared 

But I would hope for more days that are nicer than as been this year so far.. :fool:

Posted

So any sign of the juily of 2003 and 2006 happening yet?? or people just letting off hot air? :D.. according to the bbc (who are pretty useless)  the winds will be back to the Northwest again next week.. so the average temps that was forecasted last evening after the use of several models.. have got it wrong and they wont be?? :fool:

I forgot its only early July. we may end with a mega heatwave by the end of it..Just by the time it happens it will be mid august  and summer will be almost over :rofl:

Not whining.. just fed up of the exegration. would rather people say what is happening with our summer. and  that the jet is refusing to shift north for any decent length of time.Its going to be extremely mixed for the rest of summer (in my opinion)

You obviously cant predict what will happen in 10 days time. But the use of July  2006 and 2003 and record breaking temps of 39c.. takes the biscuit.

Plenty of time for that jet to shift further north, the best time to break 39C would be from around July 20th to around mid August.

Posted

Plenty of time for that jet to shift further north, the best time to break 39C would be from around July 20th to around mid August.

I love how you call your self 40c.. That's never occured in the UK in recorded history.. I love your optimism   on 39c though.. Just because a newspaper had the headline possible record breaking temperature for the end of the month. doesn't mean it will happen.. Blimey they cant even get 3 days head correctly never mind 3 weeks.