Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

Just come back from a fortnight abroad and while I was away we had the hottest day for 9 years with 27.3C and one of the most thundery periods on record with three storms in a week.

Today I am back and what do I see outside. The same rotten ghastly iron grey NW'ly crud that I endured for a week prior to my departure that culminated in a dismal max of only 9.7C on the 24th June - the latest day for a single figure max since 1978. Temperatures not as bad as that today but still utterly abysmal at just 12.5C - 6C below average :wallbash:

This is yet another dreadful summer with a poor outlook. Can't remember any other year with so few days where it was possible to sit outdoors. Even 2012 had more in March alone :bad:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I love how you call your self 40c.. That's never occured in the UK in recorded history.. I love your optimism   on 39c though.. Just because a newspaper had the headline possible record breaking temperature for the end of the month. doesn't mean it will happen.. Blimey they cant even get 3 days head correctly never mind 3 weeks.

I never said 40 will happen and I dont believe newspaper headlines either, but bear in mind the "laughable" 33C headline a couple of week ago, nobodys laughing now are they.  Im just hoping for a quick turnaround from NW winds to a steady S wind flow before the last 2 weeks of august.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I never said 40 will happen and I dont believe newspaper headlines either, but bear in mind the "laughable" 33C headline a couple of week ago, nobodys laughing now are they.  Im just hoping for a quick turnaround from NW winds to a steady S wind flow before the last 2 weeks of august.

Would help if members knew where you are, assume south as you want southerlies and 40°C

Posted

I don't post very often but some of you dudes, particularly Weatherguru need to chillax a bit!  I am definitely NO expert in things weather but love reading posts from the experts on here in a number of forums and one thing I have learned.  The weather in the UK will be and do what the weather will be and do!  When the weather does not play ball with what the models are suggesting somehow, some people seem to think or imply that it is the fault of the forecasters or posters which of course is absolute tosh.

C'mon, give 'em a break.  My preference is for hot sunny weather and I have to say so far this year in my small corner of South Wales it hasn't been bad.  OK it has not been excessively hot but there has been loads of dry, sunny and extremely useable weather.  According to the extended 30 day Met Office forecast posted today, 'a good deal of fine, dry weather looks likely towards the end of the month, particularly across southern parts, where often it may feel quite warm.'  Posters in the model output discussion are hinting at the same thing.

If this does not come to fruition, don't shoot the messengers!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just come back from a fortnight abroad and while I was away we had the hottest day for 9 years with 27.3C and one of the most thundery periods on record with three storms in a week.

Today I am back and what do I see outside. The same rotten ghastly iron grey NW'ly crud that I endured for a week prior to my departure that culminated in a dismal max of only 9.7C on the 24th June - the latest day for a single figure max since 1978. Temperatures not as bad as that today but still utterly abysmal at just 12.5C - 6C below average :wallbash:

This is yet another dreadful summer with a poor outlook. Can't remember any other year with so few days where it was possible to sit outdoors. Even 2012 had more in March alone :bad:

Can you moan in the appropriate threads please?..its getting boring now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Much better day with pretty much wall to wall sun and 20c. Below average though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Can you moan in the appropriate threads please?..its getting boring now

Noooo! I love his posts, they always make me chuckle. Don't take it all so seriously!

• Like 3

Posted

Noooo! I love his posts, they always make me chuckle. Don't take it all so seriously!

Aye his like a Tower of London Raven if the Ravens go the kingdom will fall. :p

This summer has a 7.5/10 from me so far its decent very dry, predominately sunny.

A MCS would push it up in the rankings or a supercell either works for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Would help if members knew where you are, assume south as you want southerlies and 40°C

Manchester, but im hoping for a 40C in the UK for interest of weather records not actually wanting 40C heat in Manchester

Edited by 40*C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Hear hear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Least most parts now have 2 days to come which most people would regard as 'summery'. Temps in the low to mid 20s should rid us of the chill thats been evident today and yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I don't post very often but some of you dudes, particularly Weatherguru need to chillax a bit!  I am definitely NO expert in things weather but love reading posts from the experts on here in a number of forums and one thing I have learned.  The weather in the UK will be and do what the weather will be and do!  When the weather does not play ball with what the models are suggesting somehow, some people seem to think or imply that it is the fault of the forecasters or posters which of course is absolute tosh.

C'mon, give 'em a break.  My preference is for hot sunny weather and I have to say so far this year in my small corner of South Wales it hasn't been bad.  OK it has not been excessively hot but there has been loads of dry, sunny and extremely useable weather.  According to the extended 30 day Met Office forecast posted today, 'a good deal of fine, dry weather looks likely towards the end of the month, particularly across southern parts, where often it may feel quite warm.'  Posters in the model output discussion are hinting at the same thing.

If this does not come to fruition, don't shoot the messengers!

Very true,it has not been bad in the south but we live in the north unless you live in Aberdeen and I am a southerner,you will find those who are'moaning' live north of Bristol and unless you come up and visit you will have no reason to moan.Max yesterday was a dizzy 14 deg  and taken all day to get to 16 deg today...is that 'average' for the second week of july??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very true,it has not been bad in the south but we live in the north unless you live in Aberdeen and I am a southerner,you will find those who are'moaning' live north of Bristol and unless you come up and visit you will have no reason to moan.Max yesterday was a dizzy 14 deg  and taken all day to get to 16 deg today...is that 'average' for the second week of july??

No moans from us in the Midlands. The North is Manchester and northwards.

Posted

Not too bad today with light winds and some very lengthy sunny intervals. My only complaint is it's a bit too much on the cool side at 16C. It only feels "warm" in the sun.

Still it's much better than the last few days, though.

surprising isnt it , the sun is really at its hottest point  now, and it been shining most of the day yet it failed to raise the temp above 17c , even in a westerly air or northerly air you would expect at least to hit 20c this time of year with a fulls days sun,  shocking really

Posted

I must be the west then.... Still no 30C here since 2006.

It could be 40C in London, but it wouldnt make it a good summer if other parts of the UK were cloudy or wet and in the 20s. 30C all over England and Wales (except for high mountains and exposed coasts) used to happen quite regularly, it just doesnt seem possible for some reason any more.

Today not a bad day though, reached 20C with a good deal of sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I must be the west then.... Still no 30C here since 2006.

It could be 40C in London, but it wouldnt make it a good summer if other parts of the UK were cloudy or wet and in the 20s. 30C all over England and Wales (except for high mountains and exposed coasts) used to happen quite regularly, it just doesnt seem possible for some reason any more.

Today not a bad day though, reached 20C with a good deal of sun.

I think we should send all you Southern Softies up to Wick, for year! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No moaning from me either given we reached 33C a week ago and Sheffield as well - higher than most places and equal to Birmingham and Oxford. I honestly have no idea what planet most of these people are living on.

Posted

Ok maybe geographically, but in a heatwave Manchester does better than a lot of places that are in the 'south', especially the South West and usually the south coast (unless there's more of an easterly element to the flow). Manchester often gets the heat when places slightly further north and west (such as northern Lancashire and the Lake District) are barely even warm.

Posted

No moaning from me either given we reached 33C a week ago and Sheffield as well - higher than most places and equal to Birmingham and Oxford. I honestly have no idea what planet most of these people are living on.

Am not sure wether I am moaning or not  but that statement sounds like we have had a scorcher of a summer.I recorded 31 deg here,certainly an amazing temp in these parts but the fact is I have only recorded 2  days...yes 2 days above 24 deg INCLUDING the 31 deg so that amazing temp was so tiny a blip it was hardly worth recording!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Ive got to agree that the recent spell of heat is like an island in a sea of mediocrity. But least its not been too wet. I was camping recently in Lincolnshire and was talking to someone who works there who was saying its been pretty good there for the last 3 weeks. So the fairly dry conditions have been noticed.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely Summers day here with clear sky's and light winds.

Posted

The one day heat wonder of last week's 'heatwave' didn't quite deliver the magic 30 degrees here, but we did see 29 degrees which is a very respectable high maxima, indeed our average high maxima is about 27-28 degrees in an average year. However, I can count the number of days with maxima above 21 degrees so far this year on one hand.. which is a poor statistic for this stage in the year.

Last week's plume was the equivalent of a 1/2 day very potent arctic blast that occasionally occurs out of nowhere in winter and even spring sending maxima down to freezing or below, but then swept aside swiftly by the atlantic. Such spells can be very memorable but can easily buck the overall trend and theme of a season. The best summer spells come courtesy of high pressure, last week wasn't a high pressure affair, just an advection of unusually hot air our way. The term 'heatwave' has been used far too liberally with respect to last week.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

A lovely summer's day today. Mostly sunny with some mid-level cloud and a temperature of 21C at 11:30. :good:

What a difference a few miles make,nice here,calm but lots of cloud between the sun and only 17 deg!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I spent five days on the Isle of Man last week/weekend and after hearing some of the northerners' complaints on here, I was expecting the weather to be dire. Instead, the weather was very similar to down here in Bristol, just 5-6C cooler with a bit more breeze i.e. plenty of sunshine and it only rained on Monday. I think weather must just get stuck in certain parts of the north hence such downbeat comments. I don't know how much truth there is in the comment, but somebody I know from Liverpool often says that rain moves through quickly in Liverpool then slows down over Manchester, often giving Liverpool the better weather (he's not very knowledgeable about weather in general though).

Down here, I would say the word to describe this summer so far is 'usable'. It's certainly one of the more boring summers with only 2 days of proper heat and one incidence of thunder, but it has also been pretty sunny throughout, also pretty dry and never the same for too long. The models were hinting at a warm, mostly settled second half to July so fingers crossed this will come off so this summer can at least go down as a half decent one as opposed to one to remember.