Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

More acceptable levels of sunshine the past few days with the wind coming from the SW and has just saved this month from being the dullest of the year to date, but just in time for the weekend the vile NW/SE winds return bringing more miserable depressing cool grey muck.

Absolutely ridiculous. The weekends just get more and more awful each summer and another dismal write-off on the way. Not one dry weekend all of last summer, for the first time ever, and this one looks like following suit. Not one weekend day has even managed 10 hours sun this summer and the best this month is a pathetic 7.5 hours which was beaten by 24th January. Ghastly beyond words and it was mostly evening sunshine as well. No Sunday has even achieved 5 hours sun this month  :wallbash:

An absolutely terrible rotten stinking July in a run of summers that easily tops the 60s efforts for being utterly soul destroying, miserable and revolting in the extreme.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

To be honest, 15c in January would be lovely. :)

you love mild, but you surely would prefer raging Atlantic, and homes getting flooded

• Like 1

Posted

You see... that exact same argument can be used against those who consistently pray for cool, washout conditions in summer. :)

Well that certainly isn't me! I like sunny summers but not too hot, but dunno how anyone can like mild/wet windy in winter,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

People are being very melodramatic on here today, aren't they?

Might as well wait and see what August has in store since the rest of July is looking rather rubbish.

Posted

Yes it is turning into a rather disappointing summer so far... poor temperatures in the main at least here. I've seen chimneys pumping out smoke today, and not inviting for sitting out - how very different to this time last year and 2013.

We hit mid teens again today.. preety pathetic for late July.

The BBC ended this evening's forecast with next week will see a continuation of the rather autumnal conditions - how miserable for a Friday evening in late July - no joy whatsoever...

Lets hope things pick up in August..

Posted

Im very happy that i managed to book a holiday when the weather was at its best at the start of the month. There have been some nice days since then but this month is fast descending into a borefest after such a promising start. Very disappointing. Roll on Summer 2016.

sorry to seem narky but what makes you think 2016 will be better, our summers are not getting warmer like the warming brigade would have us believe , next summer will be another one similar to the ones we have been getting over the last several years, why should they suddenly start getting better when we are in a new pattern,  its not out of the question it could be as cool,  or even cooler with whats going on in the atlantic , remember the semi arid south, and vineyards in cheshire and lancashire predictions by the ''climate scientists'' a decade or two ago lol          not...going...to...happen 

• Like 1

Posted

People are being very melodramatic on here today, aren't they?

Might as well wait and see what August has in store since the rest of July is looking rather rubbish.

dont hold you breath over august , think we know how it will pan out 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Remember the semi arid south, and vineyards in cheshire and lancashire predictions by the ''climate scientists'' a decade or two ago lol          not...going...to...happen 

Which 'Climate Scientists' said that?

Posted

One thing the pattern of last 3 months is doing is maintaining very cool SST values over NE Atlantic, highly unlikely we will see a return to average SST values in this region - will be interesting to see what impact this will have on things come the Autumn - the trough seems destined to anchor itself to the NW aided by the jet... notably cold NW/W airstreams end result.  Look at the impact it has been having on temps in Scotland.

One thing the pattern of last 3 months is doing is maintaining very cool SST values over NE Atlantic, highly unlikely we will see a return to average SST values in this region - will be interesting to see what impact this will have on things come the Autumn - the trough seems destined to anchor itself to the NW aided by the jet... notably cold NW/W airstreams end result.  Look at the impact it has been having on temps in Scotland.

and Sadly it won't deliver in winter !!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

sorry to seem narky but what makes you think 2016 will be better, our summers are not getting warmer like the warming brigade would have us believe , next summer will be another one similar to the ones we have been getting over the last several years, why should they suddenly start getting better when we are in a new pattern,  its not out of the question it could be as cool,  or even cooler with whats going on in the atlantic , remember the semi arid south, and vineyards in cheshire and lancashire predictions by the ''climate scientists'' a decade or two ago lol          not...going...to...happen 

Personally I do not think temperature is the real issue here.We have had plenty of cool summers but what really makes summer is a couple of settled sunny periods more than just a few days.I being from a farming background used to spend all my school holidays making hay,not the damp stuff they stick in black bags these days but dry chrisp stuff that takes 3 to 5 days to make and needs sunshine to bale.Dont get me wrong we had a few years that we struggled in but even poor years had a good start or finish somewhere.I know right now the little that is made these days has hardly been touched due to lack of weather where all my memory from the early 70s up until 2006 the vast majority of hay was made late june until early august.These last 10 years with the exception of 2013 has changed that,we just do not get sunny settled weather anymore.Except in the south!!

• Like 2

Posted

I can agree with that Hilly reg the Hay, Spent many a day tedding on the old David Brown.. Summers just dont seem what they used to be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After the first 6 weeks of summer were fairly dry in the south and SE the past 24 hours made up for that

@bbcweather

What a miserable spell of weather, the 'low-lights' from last 24hrs; a months worth of rain in Norfolk or around 70mm 1/2

and temperatures of 13C in Oxfordshire & Wiltshire.....or 9C cooler than normal for July! Chris F

Posted

Which 'Climate Scientists' said that?

just a few articles in publications and on on the media in the late eighties and early ninties about the climate in the millennium years , they kept harping on about what effect the warming climate could have on the uk climate , there was even a special news programme called '' warming warning'' however some of the positives where the vinyards in the north of england 'could' become the norm like apple orchards,  I believed it

• Like 2

Posted

A classic case of the 'Media' attempting Science at it's best, Or worst depending on how one looks at it. And holding on to forged detail for dear life. Enough said... I would stick with the peer reviewed papers from the actual Scientists themselves, And keep up-to-date with there work! Saves all the confusion which is what the media/blog's/others like to put forward.

As the saying goes 'Don't believe what you read in the papers'.

Aywho, This is not the place to discuss climate, So on that note let's get back to the Topic in question that is 'Summer' 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

This has got to be the worst May - July ever here, fairly confident that July will have no more average day which would mean...

Days in each month that reached the average temperature or above

May - 1 

June - 11

July - 7 

So only 19 days out of 92 will have reached average temperatures - and therefore 73 below average days out of 92 or 80% of days. 

i imagine August will add another 31 below average days so it could be an incredible statistic

• Like 1

Posted

This has got to be the worst May - July ever here, fairly confident that July will have no more average day which would mean...

Days in each month that reached the average temperature or above

May - 1 

June - 11

July - 7 

So only 19 days out of 92 will have reached average temperatures - and therefore 73 below average days out of 92 or 80% of days. 

i imagine August will add another 31 below average days so it could be an incredible statistic

just think Dec to Feb will be the other way around, most if not all days, above average

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its been abysmal for northern England and Scotland lately and the outlook for these parts is truly dire this week. I cant believe Glasgow has gone 15 days without even reaching 20c. The north and west does well with warm SE winds off the continent and weve had very little of that so far this summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Its been abysmal for northern England and Scotland lately and the outlook for these parts is truly dire this week. I cant believe Glasgow has gone 15 days without even reaching 20c. The north and west does well with warm SE winds off the continent and weve had very little of that so far this summer.

my area looks worse, shocker monday, wet tuesday, wet Wednesday and wet Sunday 2nd Aug

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes,just ONE day here above 20 deg in 3 full weeks !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

From memory, the last summer I consider to be as abysmal as this one was 1962 - low pressure, constant rain and chilly winds.  Summer 1963 was almost as bad but at least May '63 saw a two-week heatwave.  Summer '63 did have a few isolated hot days.  However there was a somewhat nasty filling in that particular sandwich.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I think the last time i had over 20c was when we had that plume which was like over 3 week ago, but the thing is it hasnt even been close to 20c since then, always 15/16c, to me it starts to feel a bit warm around 18c so really poor temperatures and very windy a lot of the time, but atleast its quite sunny.

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I