Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

Cloudy,some showers and 14 deg,strange how can a month that gave us the highest july reading at the beginning of the month possibly be challenging to get into my POOR month list!!!

It really hasn't been a bad month though to be honest, most sites in Yorkshire are running marginally above average at the moment with rainfall significantly below. Even Carlisle for example has had a mean max of 19.5C, with the mean running exactly average and has had 56mm of rain.

The mean max for July so far here is 21.8C, only 9 days have had measurable rain and we're well on course for 200 hours of sunshine. Only 7 days since 24th June have failed to reach 20C.

Edited by reef

Posted

Was it not just the recent plume?

Hence the "for more than 24 hours" criterion....

Maybe in the east it did, but it was just June 30 that had the SE flow here, it was back to boring cloudy SWlies the next day here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It really hasn't been a bad month though to be honest, most sites in Yorkshire are running marginally above average at the moment with rainfall significantly below. Even Carlisle for example has had a mean max of 19.5C, with the mean running exactly average and has had 56mm of rain.

The mean max for July so far here is 21.8C, only 9 days have had measurable rain and we're well on course for 200 hours of sunshine. Only 7 days since 24th June have failed to reach 20C.

Average high here is 19.5 deg,and 18 if you take away the first 3 days,only 1 day above 20 deg since the 4th and 12 days below 20 deg and 5 days 16 0r below ,frequent spits of rain or showers although not wet.I used to work on a farm,once again I see farmers struggling to bring grass in.How we used to do it when almost all was small bale dry hay I do not know !!

Posted

just getting worse and worse for temperatures 

even in sunshine it wont go above 16c

mean maximum since 10th July just 17.3c

mean maximum for the month about 1c below average, take away the 1st's 30c and it would be 1.5c below average

just getting worse and worse for temperatures 

even in sunshine it wont go above 16c

mean maximum since 10th July just 17.3c

mean maximum for the month about 1c below average, take away the 1st's 30c and it would be 1.5c below average

yep , fast becoming a waste of time ...:(..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This must be one of the coldest summers on record. Just 14c expected Friday here. Atrocious. Why can't high pressure ever build to the east for more than a day anymore?

January can beat 14c quite easily. Unbelievable.

Of this cold Atlantic anomaly is part of a negative AMO, there could be many years of this yet.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another rather pleasant evening! Been a theme through this summer in these parts. Temperature dropping away nicely for nightfall though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Another rather pleasant evening! Been a theme through this summer in these parts. Temperature dropping away nicely for nightfall though.

Far too chilly to enjoy a BBQ and relax outside.

• Like 1

Posted

Far too chilly to enjoy a BBQ and relax outside.

It certainly hasn't been an atrocious summer though. We have had far, far worse summers in recent years (2007 and 2012 come to mind).

Edited by Nick L

Posted

It certainly hasn't been an atrocious summer though. We have had far, far worse summers in recent years (2007 and 2012 come to mind).

Indeed it's not terrible when 2007 and 2012 are compared with but the difficulty of temperatures to rise above 18 or 19c it seems in the upcoming period is appaling. In June it was lucky to get above 16c.

My big question is why high pressure can never build over Europe and especially to our East in summer but can do so much more easily in winter and give us southerly and south westerly winds a lot?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This must be one of the coldest summers on record. Just 14c expected Friday here. Atrocious. Why can't high pressure ever build to the east for more than a day anymore?

January can beat 14c quite easily. Unbelievable.

Of this cold Atlantic anomaly is part of a negative AMO, there could be many years of this yet.

not sure where you get 14°C from, GFS shows 18C max, fairly average for uk in July, I'd have thought, think people expect too much from summer in the UK

• Like 1

Posted

not sure where you get 14°C from, GFS shows 18C max, fairly average for uk in July, I'd have thought, think people expect too much from summer in the UK

Look at the Met office mate. 18c is a good few degrees below average too. A few days expected of it yes because it makes up the average but the WHOLE outlook looks pretty much below. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still 5 weeks of summer to go, a hot August would be fantastic and well overdue. The next week or so looks very dreary indeed, cool, windy, cloudy, really not welcome in what is supposed to be high summer. Friday is the only day of interest for me as I'd love some heavy rain for one day. It's been a wierd summer here so far. Not amazing but not horribly bad either. Most days have been very 'usable' for outdoor activities as there has been quite a lot of sun. Had two evenings of decent thundery activity. Never that warm though apart from the first few days of July, the wind hasn't stopped but it's been extremely dry. Like I said, odd. Compared to Scotland it's been a decent season and miles better than 2012, the new benchmark for summer hideousness that seems to get trotted out all the time.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

July's been fine until the past 2 days or so. Might even end up below average!

All in all, summer 2015 has been decent IMO, but looks set to deteriorate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still 5 weeks of summer to go, a hot August would be fantastic and well overdue. The next week or so looks very dreary indeed, cool, windy, cloudy, really not welcome in what is supposed to be high summer. Friday is the only day of interest for me as I'd love some heavy rain for one day. It's been a wierd summer here so far. Not amazing but not horribly bad either. Most days have been very 'usable' for outdoor activities as there has been quite a lot of sun. Had two evenings of decent thundery activity. Never that warm though apart from the first few days of July, the wind hasn't stopped but it's been extremely dry. Like I said, odd. Compared to Scotland it's been a decent season and miles better than 2012, the new benchmark for summer hideousness that seems to get trotted out all the time.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here - that's certainly the word I'd use to describe this summer. The saving grace for us in the south has been the absence of truly wet days. There have been very few after June 1st but there's been just enough rain to stop the grass browning off completely. Besides the binding wind, my main gripe has been the lack of sunshine which has made a number of days with decent uppers just none descript. So while dry, it's felt very... Septemberish. 

There seems like a real topsy turvy opinion about the turn of the month with the experts saying high pressure and the naysayers on the low pressure bandwagon. So I'm going to sit on the fence. This July has reminded me a little bit of 1998 and a drier version of 2002, both Augusts became the best months of those summers so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted

18 degrees is below average for England and Wales and indeed much of Scotland away from the far north, at this time of year, average max for northern England is 20/21 degrees, the SE nearer the 23 degree mark, Scotland about 19 degrees. On average late July and early August is the core warm period of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I think what makes this summer seem poorer than it actually is  is because it follows a cool and indifferent spring.With the exception of the few days at the end of june/early july there have scarcely been 2 good days together with frequent poor temps,just the fact that it has been dry and sunshine about give good figures to read but mask how it has actually felt!!

Posted

I personally judge summers on how they feel.. Its not felt warm  for the great part this summer. Not to the point of  trusting to take my jacket off. sure theres been nice days now and then.

Just don't  trust  the weather to remain warm.. the cold air asnt been far away.. You need June to be warm for the rest of the summer to follow suit. I know the south east as been warmer.. The warm conintent has just about reached that quadrant of the UK..

been a poor summer for warmth all told in my neck of the woods.. I hope August picks up.. But I don't see it being a hot august. Maybe more settled with more sunshine and less wind..

Posted

I think what makes this summer seem poorer than it actually is  is because it follows a cool and indifferent spring.With the exception of the few days at the end of june/early july there have scarcely been 2 good days together with frequent poor temps,just the fact that it has been dry and sunshine about give good figures to read but mask how it has actually felt!!

It's noticeable that the the spell of rubbish summers (2007-12) often saw some summery weather in spring and/or autumn (April 2007, early May 2008, late May 2010, Sep/Oct 2011, May 2012), while since then there has been more in the actual summer, but none at all in the shoulder seasons.

2015 just 3 days above 25C so far, on a par with 2012 and behind 2011. Add the fact that only one of them was a really sunny day and it's been a poor summer apart from the surprisingly sunny June.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As much as the summer has felt okay so far, its very possible that we will need the warmest August in 11 years to prevent this summer being below average.

Posted

It's noticeable that the the spell of rubbish summers (2007-12) often saw some summery weather in spring and/or autumn (April 2007, early May 2008, late May 2010, Sep/Oct 2011, May 2012), while since then there has been more in the actual summer, but none at all in the shoulder seasons.

2015 just 3 days above 25C so far, on a par with 2012 and behind 2011. Add the fact that only one of them was a really sunny day and it's been a poor summer apart from the surprisingly sunny June.

Rather better here with 10 above 25C and 2 above 30C.

To add to that about not feeling warm then as an old 'un that feels the chilly winds pretty quickly, then I cannot complain from 24 June to 21 July I have only recorded temperatures below 21C on 3 days; the average max is 22.1C, so I cannot really complain.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Rather better here with 10 above 25C and 2 above 30C.

To add to that about not feeling warm then as an old 'un that feels the chilly winds pretty quickly, then I cannot complain from 24 June to 21 July I have only recorded temperatures below 21C on 3 days; the average max is 22.1C, so I cannot really complain.

I have had in excess of 20 days maybe more 25c or above..not had a temperature below 20c since mid June..so far this summer has been near perfect..not too hot not too cool very little in the way of rain lots of sunshine and lots of good nights for sleeping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I really pity those who have chosen next week to go in holiday in miserable old Blightly. Its set to be the worst week of the summer so far and a throwback to the dreadful summers of 2007 and 2012. But things are looking up for the turn of the month.

Posted

Tomorrow will bring the first decent rainfall for many weeks around here. Long overdue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

The next few days will probably amount to nothing and as usual its just hyped up weather nonsense as with every other predicted "weather event" that in the end always turns out to be far less than expected.

And I thought last week would be bad given all the LP being thrown at us, still though Manchester was reasonable, lots of breaks in the cloud letting the sun shine, although very damp when under all the bands of cloud. Really I just don't see what all the fuss is about.