Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Grand day yesterday at Newmills with the early part and last part being the best with a lot of cloud in between, but much better that previous drivel we have had. Here's for a good end to August, looks like there is a possibility for some fine warm weather although its 50:50 in my books as to whether that Trough wins out over the eastern block. Would be good if this situation sticks throughout the winter!!!!

Posted

Some high cloud about but sun's still shining (had a ripper of a afternoon yesterday) clear for most of it

Grand day yesterday at Newmills with the early part and last part being the best with a lot of cloud in between, but much better that previous drivel we have had. Here's for a good end to August, looks like there is a possibility for some fine warm weather although its 50:50 in my books as to whether that Trough wins out over the eastern block. Would be good if this situation sticks throughout the winter!!!!

Judging by this morning's 500mb mean charts it's 66/33 in favour of the trough edging east:

post-2844-0-48992900-1439805341_thumb.gi

Fingers crossed the GFS is correct at this stage, mid-20s by the weekend would be splendid :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Judging by this morning's 500mb mean charts it's 66/33 in favour of the trough edging east:

attachicon.gif17th August 00z ECM GFS 10 Day.gif

Fingers crossed the GFS is correct at this stage, mid-20s by the weekend would be splendid :)

I think here in Newmills on the Forth, temps have only hit the 20s on six occasions. Its solidly been 15 -16 degrees. 20's would be wonderful!

I think here in Newmills on the Forth, temps have only hit the 20s on six occasions. Its solidly been 15 -16 degrees. 20's would be wonderful!

A quick scout about on WeatherOnline and I've counted 16 occasions where the temp has been 20 or above at Charterhall (about a mile away from here), so we've been doing a lot better than you. I doubt living on the Forth will help though :)

Glasgow Airport has managed ten, so arguably much the same as for you too (against 28 by the same stage last year, or 42 in 1995). It's a summer to forget.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been a sunny day here in the main and hit the giddy heights of 18.6C in Dyce at 14:00, which is the highest it's been for the last 6 days at least!

attachicon.gif17th August 00z ECM GFS 10 Day.gif

Here's the same chart for the 12z runs:

post-2844-0-61496200-1439843216_thumb.gi

At this rate we're going to need September to save summer by being at least as good as last year.

Posted

Fine day here too ,  no wind, blue skies, sunshine , a bit humid with a maximum of 20c after 6c at 5.30am this morning.

Fine sunset over the Firth tonight with the cloud edging in  from the east providing some contrast.

post-2744-0-70673400-1439846614_thumb.jppost-2744-0-37812000-1439846630_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well after 7 weeks of having not experienced the temp really go much below 20'C if at all (except on the top of mountains), high teens low 20s with sunshine and showers looks perfect to return home to on Thursday evening.

Fine day here too ,  no wind, blue skies, sunshine , a bit humid with a maximum of 20c after 6c at 5.30am this morning.

Fine sunset over the Firth tonight with the cloud edging in  from the east providing some contrast.

attachicon.gif20150817 (2).jpgattachicon.gif20150817.jpg

Aye, it was lovely last night, a gorgeous, peaceful night:

post-2844-0-84976700-1439894241_thumb.jppost-2844-0-71239100-1439894395_thumb.jppost-2844-0-79251600-1439894721_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-51395800-1439894846_thumb.jppost-2844-0-56713700-1439894967_thumb.jp

It's currently raining and pretty cool for mid-August, 13.3ºC. A quick flick through the charts this morning has shown that we may all get some reasonable days here and there, but rain is never far away and it doesn't look like it's going to be settled weather until at least September, if at all, this summer.

Posted

Last night...lovely, with a similar sunset to the above pictures.

Today...Wet & cool (10.0mm of rain & 13.2C max as of 14:00hrs in Dyce).

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Tbf, I can't complaining returning to 21.5c, cloudy and fairly humid.

Just perfect when returning from somewhere far hotter. Not too cold but warm enough. Too hungover to deal with any real sunshine.

(Slightly off topic) but did anyone see the photos of the T-storm which hit Magaluf?

Flooded the streets with water, absolutely gushing.

Extremely loud thunder too although no lightning. Had been lightning the previous two nights though.

Tbh, I didn't find the heat too excessive, but after a few weeks it would be too much.

30c+ is only tolerable for so long. Ie less than 14 days solid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Rain has finally arrived here too The story of the summer.

Yesterday was lovely but today... spent the morning waiting for the rain and this afternoon watching the rain.

Could be time to get a camera set up outside somewhere - the doc's now saying I'll be laid up for another 4 weeks :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

the doc's now saying I'll be laid up for another 4 weeks :angry: .

Been fighting the local Tory Farmers HC? ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Been a nice few days, had a splash in Findhorn at weekend, along with one too many at the Mosset, then back hame to cut the grass for I think only the third time this summer!!! Reached 21C on Monday, but starting to spit with rain earlier.

Wee ones back to school the morrow, so roads are going to be a joy again.

post-2849-0-10897200-1439931573_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Yuck! Heavy mist and constant drizzle.

Hopefully the forecast is correct and it clears later and dries the place out a bit. Looks like 27mm of rain in Dyce yesterday at the airport. Despite looking this morning, I can't remember exactly what my weather station at home reported but I don't think it it was that high, it was 17.something I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Was working in Aberdeen yesterday and confirm that it was pretty wet. Not that much better down here though.

Today the cloud cleared early and left a sunny mild morning with temps reaching 19C. Some cloud bubbling up now in the SWesterly breeze..

Posted

Was working in Aberdeen yesterday and confirm that it was pretty wet. Not that much better down here though.

Today the cloud cleared early and left a sunny mild morning with temps reaching 19C. Some cloud bubbling up now in the SWesterly breeze..

The rain yesterday was never particularity heavy, just constant. The cloud has finally cleared away here now and the temperature has shot up to 18.8C, helped no doubt by a switch of wind direction from yesterdays NNW to a current SSE.

My 'madness' in hanging out the washing this morning in heavy drizzle wasn't so mad after all. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Actually expected it to be nicer than it is. Started off sunny and felt quite humid/warm. Now the wind has got up and it's getting cloudier - rain incoming later:(

Posted

Raining but not overly wet. Now saturday is starting to look quite interesting. Could get rather wet..............but could get rather noisy too.................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Raining but not overly wet. Now saturday is starting to look quite interesting. Could get rather wet..............but could get rather noisy too.................

Looks like a pretty mangy few days in prospect coming up for all.  I'll watch from indoors :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

Might be me but since the main thrust of the rain's cleared the humidity on the up