Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Not that bad, 16c, partly sunny.

Yesterday was poor though, at night it felt chilly at around 10c by 9pm and very dark by then too.

Recent days have been better, although rather uninspiring. Broken 17c everyday for the last 5 or so

The stats are out for August, and according to the stats it wasn't that bad after all...uninspiring but not as bad as a lot of years!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Quite a strong Northerly wind here today under a uniform sheet of white cloud. Only real positives are it's not raining and we've broken the downward trend in max temps (Sun - 19.5C, Mon - 15.9C, Tue - 14.2C, Wed - 11.8C, currently - 12.3C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cheers for the link Catch.

Not as bad as July certainly.

I actually don't think I could survive in some of the places up north and particularly NE.

Maxes of 11/12 in very late summer (I still class this as summer really). Atrocious.

I'd actually cry.

Not particularly pleased with the temperature hovering around 15c, I hate this because I head out with a jacket and end up in a pool of sweat once I start walking or doing work. However, if I do a bit less work then I need my jacket again and so on.

Mainly cloudy now and cooler at 14.8c. Slight breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cheers for the link Catch.

Not as bad as July certainly.

I actually don't think I could survive in some of the places up north and particularly NE.

Maxes of 11/12 in very late summer (I still class this as summer really). Atrocious.

I'd actually cry.

Not particularly pleased with the temperature hovering around 15c, I hate this because I head out with a jacket and end up in a pool of sweat once I start walking or doing work. However, if I do a bit less work then I need my jacket again and so on.

Mainly cloudy now and cooler at 14.8c. Slight breeze

Not sure anyone's died of the cold around here over the last few months, although the wearing of shorts has been somewhat less obvious.  Also the tourists seem less inclined to hang around, which is a big plus.

A few glimpses of blue this morning but it's definitely autumn now - the pegs by our front door have bulked up with bigger coats this week.

• Like 1

Posted

The stats are out for August, and according to the stats it wasn't that bad after all...uninspiring but not as bad as a lot of years!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Did seem a lot drier in august here in the lowlands compared to the previous 2 months............that confirms it.

Another not too bad day here. Any showers this week have been late in the day. Not particulairy warm but pleasent enough in the sun

Posted

Not sure anyone's died of the cold around here over the last few months, although the wearing of shorts has been somewhat less obvious.  Also the tourists seem less inclined to hang around, which is a big plus.

A few glimpses of blue this morning but it's definitely autumn now - the pegs by our front door have bulked up with bigger coats this week.

Haha, I never said died but it's summer! It should be sheets weather or at the very least t-shirt weather.

Today is a perfectly acceptable day (dry, sunny intervals, max of 16c) for September but the problem is that July and August were so, so poor (June wasn't great either). Mainly July.

Yes, tourism is down which is a shame. Although, for the locals it is a bonus (short-term).

Posted

I was about to post 'unexpectedly heavy rain on just now...'   then realised I was hearing the neighbour's bath emptying.  However the cat has just come in and reports light rain and very wet soil at the bottom of the garden :whistling:

which about sums up the utter crapness of our recent 541te weather.  Dreary and no matron.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Haha, I never said died but it's summer! It should be sheets weather or at the very least t-shirt weather.

Today is a perfectly acceptable day (dry, sunny intervals, max of 16c) for September but the problem is that July and August were so, so poor (June wasn't great either). Mainly July.

Yes, tourism is down which is a shame. Although, for the locals it is a bonus (short-term).

Awww, you're just having a strop cos you never got to wear your tartan mankini this summer. I know I was gutted at not getting a shot of mine.

Posted

Awww, you're just having a strop cos you never got to wear your tartan mankini this summer. I know I was gutted at not getting a shot of mine.

Haha, good one...

Could think of nothing worse lol.

Hopefully summer 2016 will be better. Should be fairly 'ripped' by then so that'll be a bonus.

If all else fails CMD, go to the sunbed/fake tan and wait for that one day of summer next year haha.

Posted

Still feeling wintry out there again today with a moderate to fresh N wind and mist and heavy drizzle rolling in off the Firth,currently 8.5c.Will try to take in weaned calves today for the winter.

Currently forecasting a very grumpy old farmer until the sun shines again

.Finally a bit of sun, its been four days since we last saw it and a bit milder  currently at 13c.

Haha, good one...

Could think of nothing worse lol.

Hopefully summer 2016 will be better. Should be fairly 'ripped' by then so that'll be a bonus.

If all else fails CMD, go to the sunbed/fake tan and wait for that one day of summer next year haha.

I don't need fake tan, at least on my arms and face. You'd think it'd been a cracking summer judging by my tan. Too much dog walking!

I'd forgotten how tedious the weather can be at this time of year when it's not a September like last year. I like your story about jacket on/jacket off, we'll call it jojo weather. Neither here nor there, jojo weather is a total snoozefest.

Posted

The whole spring and summer was awful.. April was good with around 2 weeks of warm and sunny weather.. Into May and did the spring like weather continues. NO.. May was more like early April cold and wet..

Beginning of June was awful I remember the 1st week could count 2 days of thunder but this was with low temps and squalls which I would have expected in March not due to any warm conditions.. We did see 1 good week in June but that was it..

July started very warm indeed but again no dry weather instead torriental rain and major thunderstorms (especially in Eastern Scotland) and after that July became Thundery but rather cool and atrocious second half..

Into August and suddenly things improved. Much brighter a bit warmer and sunnier. By then the light nights had gone but certainly a better August than previous years and only one day I can recall it was 24c in Glasgow.

Was that the worst summer ever?? Quite possible but other bad ones to compete with are not far behind.

2004.. Warm, humid, Thundery

2007.. Very wet and well below average temps with and early autumn (late August)

2008.. Very Wet and Thundery

2009.. Very Wet second half of summer

2010.. Wet Summer again

2011,12,13 were slightly better than those years..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thomas Stufferknickers!

Thanks for that HC......Coffee duly deposited all over  my screen! :laugh:

Anyhoo.....Not bad here today.   17.3c with a light SW breeze -

post-1989-0-28852300-1441368633.txt

Posted

Why didn't we get dry weather like this in July? 16c and fairly sunny. Not great but would be >20c at the height of Summer.

Thankfully the fields are now drier but not quite 'normal' yet.

September usually saves the day...

Posted

You know me, Blitz. Brilliant reparteee.  TS has prolly heard it all before too.  It was only a few weeks ago that someone told me about his middle finger indiscretion from a few years ago. What a pillock.

Patchy light to moderate rain... again... and 12C.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

That'll be this then?

• Like 1

Posted

Why didn't we get dry weather like this in July? 16c and fairly sunny. Not great but would be >20c at the height of Summer.

Thankfully the fields are now drier but not quite 'normal' yet.

September usually saves the day...

Neighbours  today tried to drive in with a loaded spreader to top dress some newly sown winter oilseed rape and promptly sunk two feet had to reverse out leaving a trail of mud on the side road. Will take two days of dry weather before combines can travel again in this area and grain may take three days to come down to an acceptable moisture level

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've popped in here. I'm currently on Bernera across the bridge from Lewis, a really lovely bit of the world, although the weather has made it a bit more atmospheric to say the least - fairly strong northerly winds with regular showers and temperatures sitting around 10-13C for the entire week. It's been a pretty cold summer overall, and I was fortunate to get my heat quota for the year in earlier when I was across in France for a historical festival during their record breaking heatwave - a few days of 40C is more than enough given I usually burn up when it hits 20C. Other than that I've had a placement at the uni over the summer looking at pollution model data (not quite as thrilling as the 12Z ECM  :rofl:) ,  

I thought I'd start early on my winter forecast prep. as I'd imagine 4th year physics is going to be pretty hectic and so far it's pretty interesting - the SST signal looks overwhelmingly the strongest factor at the moment, with a huge El Nino playing off against, or perhaps working in tandem with, a very cold Atlantic. After the disappointment of the OPI, QBO and SAI last winter, where in spite of all suggesting very high chances of northerly blocking we basically ended up as the only colder than average spot in western Europe, it will be interesting to see what impact these have. The QBO is turning positive at the moment, which is likely to work against us somewhat (although the lowest on record last year still ended up without proper blocking), the OPI looks like it may be a bust in its current form, although Cohen's Snow Advance Index had a pretty decent track record up to last winter, and solar activity is tracking downwards towards the next minimum, so overall I suspect these might cancel each other out. The good news is that it doesn't look quite as east-based at the moment as previous strong El Nino events (1983, 1998), so perhaps a better chance of it working in our favour, but if the negative temperature anomalies hold in the Atlantic the one thing I would expect is more storms, maybe similar to last winter in that respect. Anyway, early days, things to watch for are 1) solar activity heading downwards (ideally consistently sub 100 flux on here http://www.solarham.net/solarflux.htm )2) El Nino warming concentrating in the central Pacific rather than the east 3) a good westwards advance in snowcover over Siberia during October 4) the NAO dipole setting up in the Atlantic - warm Arctic+equator, cold mid latitudes. As far as analogue years go, it's predictably all over the place at this stage - I suspect we're going to get at least one winter, probably more, in the next 5-10 where everything's screaming cold from early Autumn onwards and it comes off but this isn't it. That's not to say we can rule out a properly cold one (neither 2009/10 or 2010/11 were widely picked up on at this stage either, although in hindsight the former maybe should've been) but there's a lot still to be determined about the bigger picture. However, as long as that cold pool hangs around to our west, I still fancy our chances of getting something decent out of this coming winter:

anomnight.9.3.2015.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 7

Posted

Good post LSS, hopefully you can update as time goes by.... When you have a spare moment of course ;)

I'm sure 4th year can't be that bad...

Lovely start here. A little chilly as 11.4c but sunny and feeling nice in the sun. Beautiful clear blue skies... Should be a nice day :)

Posted

Another lovely start. If anything the skies have been getting clearer as the week goes on. Long may it continue

Posted

As for winter I'll happily take a repeat of 13/14 or 14/15, but for the ski areas it would be useful if there were fewer weekend storms! D-J-F 2014 and M-A-M 2015 would be perfect - though I think we might actually lose a few lifts out of sight at Glencoe and Nevis if we got a winter like that!